Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM

55 posts, read 142,685 times

Advertisements

I have Windows Vista, IE 9.0.
My virus protection is MSE.
I've encountered difficulties in downloading Adobe Flash from 2 different sites. One of them is Adobe dot com.
I disabled my MSE and my UAC.
The download gets stopped by this message:
install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtbd_aih.exe was reported as unsafe.

Here are instructions that mention download problems for IE:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html
Things go fine until I click on "run" and then the above message appears, and I can not get to step #5 where IE asks me if I want to run this software.

I've tried this site:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flashplay-security.html
and also Adobe dot com.

I even created a new user, and the download won't proceed past the "run" step, and that error at the top.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Added details:
I understand that Firefox and IE both use Adobe Flash, but take two different installers.

On one download attempt, I got this message from Adobe:
You must have administrative privileges to install Adobe Flash Player.
Please log on with administrative privileges and try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

And you have no AV software running on your system at the time?
Nothing but Microsoft Security Essentials but is it turned OFF.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenjohn View Post
Nothing but Microsoft Security Essentials but is it turned OFF.
Do you happen to have FireFox installed?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 PM

Did you restart IE after making all those security changes?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Did you restart IE after making all those security changes?
Yes, I had to reboot after disabling the UAC for it to take affect. There was an "apply" button but it did not become bold print so I could not click on that.

I do have Firefox on my system.

IE 9.0.8112.16421
Firefox 9.0.1
That one website (Soft Patch) is offering Flash 10.0 and I think the newest version is 11.0

Then there is the matter of do I need all of this:
Adobe Flash
Adobe Shockwave
Adobe Air

I know I need Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF.

Not sure about:
Java

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Adobe flash player 11.1.102.62

Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

Try getting it through Firefox instead of IE.

Do you need the others? Maybe...

You'll find out if you go to a website that uses them, I wouldn't worry about it until then.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM

thanks let me try that.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenjohn View Post
Yes, I had to reboot after disabling the UAC for it to take affect. There was an "apply" button but it did not become bold print so I could not click on that.

I do have Firefox on my system.

IE 9.0.8112.16421
Firefox 9.0.1
That one website (Soft Patch) is offering Flash 10.0 and I think the newest version is 11.0

Then there is the matter of do I need all of this:
Adobe Flash
Adobe Shockwave
Adobe Air

I know I need Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF.

Not sure about:
Java
Always go to the developer's own site if possible, especially for free software. Do not ever download Flash Player, Shockwave Player, etc. from a 3rd-party web site!
When you visit Adobe, you will see the links for their free software like Flash Player on the right hand side, a bit down the page.

Make sure the account you logged on to the computer has Admin level rights, otherwise, naturally, installation will fail.

Next, try downloading the desired version of the Adobe Flash Player for offline installation using a different browser. The site detects your browser and version of Operating system so if you try to do this trick on the same kind of browser and/or version of Operating System, it will not work.
So, for example, if you would like to install Flash Player for IE 9 running on Vista and you only have one computer/operating system, then launch Firefox and visit Adobe. click Flash Player download link but instead of installing it for Firefox, click the link "Do you have a different operating system or browser" as seen below. Also make sure to clear the box next to the optional McAfee scanner installer. It is amazing that Adobe leaves that box checked by default. If you already have another AV scanner installed, this could jack up users' systems. Not sure why they continue to push on this so inconsiderately.

Anyhow, when you click on the link, it will prompt you with dropdown selections to select the operating system and browser type/version that you will be downloading the Flash Player for:

This way you can download the installer on your local machine and try to run it to see if you'd have better luck. Software/System Protection (DEP) feature in XP, Vista and 7 will automatically put a block on downloaded executables, so after downloading the file, right-click > Properties and click on Unblock button before running the installer. Typically this protection causes a warning message to come up and unblocking the executable beforehand gets rid of the warning but on some systems, I also noticed it allowed the installation of the software after unblocking the file so something to keep in mind:

Old 02-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Always go to the developer's own site if possible, especially for free software. Do not ever download Flash Player, Shockwave Player, etc. from a 3rd-party web site!
When you visit Adobe, you will see the links for their free software like Flash Player on the right hand side, a bit down the page.

Make sure the account you logged on to the computer has Admin level rights, otherwise, naturally, installation will fail.

Next, try downloading the desired version of the Adobe Flash Player for offline installation using a different browser. The site detects your browser and version of Operating system so if you try to do this trick on the same kind of browser and/or version of Operating System, it will not work.
So, for example, if you would like to install Flash Player for IE 9 running on Vista and you only have one computer/operating system, then launch Firefox and visit Adobe. click Flash Player download link but instead of installing it for Firefox, click the link "Do you have a different operating system or browser" as seen below. Also make sure to clear the box next to the optional McAfee scanner installer. It is amazing that Adobe leaves that box checked by default. If you already have another AV scanner installed, this could jack up users' systems. Not sure why they continue to push on this so inconsiderately.

Anyhow, when you click on the link, it will prompt you with dropdown selections to select the operating system and browser type/version that you will be downloading the Flash Player for:

This way you can download the installer on your local machine and try to run it to see if you'd have better luck. Software/System Protection (DEP) feature in XP, Vista and 7 will automatically put a block on downloaded executables, so after downloading the file, right-click > Properties and click on Unblock button before running the installer. Typically this protection causes a warning message to come up and unblocking the executable beforehand gets rid of the warning but on some systems, I also noticed it allowed the installation of the software after unblocking the file so something to keep in mind:

I removed Firefox 7 from my pc. I downloaded FF 10 using IE 9.0.
I opened FF and left IE closed.
I went to Adobe dot com.
There is a download tab at the top, that leads to the four popular Adobe products on the right (Acrobat, Flash, Air, Shock)
Adobe

Or, looking down the page on the right I see:
Adobe Flash Player under the download list.

I clicked on that and changed the browser to Vista 32 bit and the Flash 11 for IE. I removed the check mark from the box for McAfee.
I clicked on download and here is the result:

see attatched file.

As you can see top left, FF has downloaded the installer 3 times. When I click on that download link in the window, top right, I then get the message that it's being blocked.

Before being able to access your instructions, I took a couple actions that someone suggested. So, before trying to run the installer, I added Adobe dot com to my trusted websites in IE. I also went to advanced settings and took the check mark out of the box for "smart filter screening."

I then tried to click on the installer from the top left window you see above on FF. It was blocked from being run.
I also tried to download Acrobat using IE 9.0 and it fails despite Adobe being a trusted site and smart filter screening being disabled.

I did not re-boot during any of the above. (?? ) Mistake?

I know Adobe Systems has been around for many years. I wonder why Adobe and Microsoft have not made their products work well together.

Thanks for more help, if I missed some instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
I can not download Adobe Flash player.-try-city-data.jpg  

Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

I did not do the above, not sure where to access that.
Below is a repeat of the window you showed, never got that far.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
I can not download Adobe Flash player.-securitywarning.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers