Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times

Advertisements

I’m having trouble with the video on the old pc. I’ve changed the monitor and it didn’t fix it. I’m looking at changing the video card. Question: do I have to have the “same” card or are video cards interchangeable? I’m using an older Gateway desktop tower, can I buy just any plugin video card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,189 times
There are plenty of cheap generic cards out there and swapping one in is not hard if you have ever pull off the back of the PC - it is easy to identify it is the card with the video port on the back of the card. Before you touch the card touch something else metal to take any static off (not the computer).

I would call Gateway first and see what they recommend and while it might not be the cheapest (never know) they should (ha) guide you to a compatible card. With an older desktop some of the newer cards may have requirements of a specific CPU among other things -

I would also right click on the desktop and click properties - then go to the settings tab - sometimes the settings get mucked up - you might be at a low resolution or your color quality might be off. Are you getting flicker or some color washout etc? Then it is probably the video card. Also an updated driver may help as well. sound's like the card just describe yer symptoms...

Let me know!
Thanks

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 08-24-2007 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Sorry I always forget to give the symptoms first.
The monitor shows all graphics and text ok however mainly noticed is that the text has what looks like a “smear to the right side of the letters”. Normally I would thing that the monitor raster is causing it, but after changing the monitor the video card looked more like something to try.

You brought to mind another good point – trying a video driver update. But I don’t think that would cause this “smear or smudge” on the right side of the text letters.

You’re correct with the older generic cards should do the trick since this pc is about 8-10 years old now. I’ll pull the card and see what I find, maybe take it with me to Fry’s Electronics (large discounted store near me). They might be able to put me onto something that they have otherwise I’ll check with some of the repair shops for old parts.

Can you give me a hint on how to identify the driver or remove and reinstall it? And would that be something that might help with this type of failure?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,189 times
If right click properties on the desktop and goto settings - Advanced - it should bring up what driver you are using and install an update - most likely it will default to some Windows generic driver - What you want to look for is the OEM driver and see if it has a link to get an update. At 8-10 years not sure if it will make a difference.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:57 PM

510 posts, read 3,200,920 times
Here is a link to a program that I love... System information for Windows SIW Download

This program will tell you pretty much everything about your computer. Before you go to frys (love their prices btw), use this program to find out what kind of motherboard and chipset you have. Find out how much wattage your power source has as well. Depending on what all is installed, you may get into trouble if you have less than 350 watts for a power supply.

One other consideration... you may end up paying $100-$200 for a video card. Dell outlet has scratch and dent, as well as items that were built but never shipped ranging from $300-500... nice systems for cheap. You'll probably also see a $200 computer at frys... not a powerhouse by any means, but it should blow away your old computer.

You could take your old hard drive and slave it to any new system, or just get the data you want off of it. I can't imagine it's a big drive being that old.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
Check the default resolution of your monitor (if it's LCD) and set the same on your computer. It should help.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM

Thanks to all of you for the information and helpful hits on the problem. I’ve found that the video card (original) went bad. I’ve located a similar replacement for as little as $5 and it seems to have corrected the (original) problem. I now need to get the correct drivers downloaded and installed. This will take me a little more time as I’ve got other things going on right now and can’t focus on the pc as much as I’d like.

I hate to put much money into the pc because of the age, the hard drive was changed out about a year ago and it’s about the only thing that is of value in the way of hardware. I’m running XP and enjoy the OS more then I think I’d like with the newer version so I need to try and recover that and get it onto the next new pc that I’ll be looking into soon.

Tnx again for all the help.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 AM

510 posts, read 3,200,920 times
Most vendors offer XP on new stuff now... I wouldn't consider Vista until it reaches the 2 years of age mark myself... the biggest benefit is being able to surpass the max of 4 megs of RAM though.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseJeff View Post
Most vendors offer XP on new stuff now... I wouldn't consider Vista until it reaches the 2 years of age mark myself... the biggest benefit is being able to surpass the max of 4 megs of RAM though.
4 megs of RAM? LOL.. If you're running Vista or XP on that little memory, I'd like to talk to you and get some advice!

I think you meant 4 gigs.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:36 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,184 times
I updated to Windows Pro and now my Stand By button is greyed out. I Googled and was reading about device drivers may not be updated but I am not sure exactly how this may done or if this may be another problem. Anyone else ever encountered this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers