U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:59 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,721,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
OK, had her turn screen sharing on (Skype).

Checked the environmental variables as per your post, everything there.

Just for grins installed Adobe reader 8, no problems

Had her D/L from that site I mentioned earlier, D/L OK, watched the installation, no errors, progress bar went to 100%, little green check mark, installation successful.

Right after that is where the error pops up.
Sounds like it's trying to run something after the install completes. I know a Reader install launches a browser and takes you back to Adobes site to show the install was successful, however you used a browser to download the file in the first place so that is obviously launching correctly.

Is there anything in the error window like a More Info link or a file name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Sounds like it's trying to run something after the install completes. I know a Reader install launches a browser and takes you back to Adobes site to show the install was successful, however you used a browser to download the file in the first place so that is obviously launching correctly.

Is there anything in the error window like a More Info link or a file name?
That's the killer, there is nothing, just pops up with the error, no installation log, nothing.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM

After working on her system now for close to two weeks (with the helpful assistance from ya'll and I do thank all of you who contributed,I bought this off of Amazon:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

Amazon.com: windows 7

And am having it shipped directly to her to do a fresh installation. (What else are fathers for?)

Question on a new install on Win 7, will she have the option to totally repartition and reformat the disk and install from scratch, yes?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Question on a new install on Win 7, will she have the option to totally repartition and reformat the disk and install from scratch, yes?
What a *fresh* install will do is reformat the disk if you let it do that, then it creates a small partition where the systems files can be recovered from.
After all is done, and *you* have control again, *you* can create partitions as much as you like. After that, *you* MUST make a set of recovery disks. Do not wait to do that. Keep those disks where you *know* where they are. Those two disks will be able to get you a computer back that is as *fresh* as you first started. Next thing you also must do is download MS security essentials and Malware bytes, to secure your internet connections. Both are free, and not half bad. Just a suggestion, nothing more nothing less.
HTH.

If you ever want to *upgrade* to another version of WIN 7, then only buy an upgrade version which is nothing more than a box with a set of numbers *in it*. No disks ...

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
If you were downloading a version of Adobe Flash for a different version of Windows or kind of browser, then you must select Save at the download pop-up window, never select a Run because it could create odd behavior or issues and this could be the reason for your dilemma.

I suppose it doesn't matter any more.

Be careful re-partitioning a new OEM PC (not sure why she would need it but if you were asking in the future, just in case, etc.), some vendors do not provide a Windows CD/DVD with the machine. What they do is, they place a restore partition on the drive itself which is stupid because if and when the drive fails, your restore/recovery partition is gone too.

Anyhow, if on the Windows Partition window, it shows 3 partitions, chances are the 3rd is the recovery/restore partition I mentioned. Windows 7 only creates 2 by default.

What I would personally do would be to get a second drive of at least the same size, then using a bootable media such as USB Flash drive, run one of the freely available disk imaging/cloning software (even Hard disk manufacturers have this) to clone the 2nd drive just in case the first one failed. I'd do this even before turning on the new PC.

plwhit, I am having the same install problem, coincidentally, I do need a new computer too, buy me one, please?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
plwhit, I am having the same install problem, coincidentally, I do need a new computer too, buy me one, please?
Buying a copy of Windows is not quite the same thing as buying another laptop.... The next time I get her another laptop it will be a Macbook Pro, not another Windows laptop, I'm tired of those POS...

There is no recovery partition on the disk, she already has everything she needs backed up quite some time ago.

Don't know about you but I have a break point where wasting more time on the problem is just not worth it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Buying a copy of Windows is not quite the same thing as buying another laptop.... The next time I get her another laptop it will be a Macbook Pro, not another Windows laptop, I'm tired of those POS...
Oh my mistake, I thought you actually bought her a new PC.
That would have been extreme indeed! Even though it is just an upgrade, my 64-bit Win 7 Ultimate DVD cost $20. One of the perks for working for a school I guess.

Quote:
There is no recovery partition on the disk, she already has everything she needs backed up quite some time ago.
Again, my comments were for the presumed new PC that you bought so disregard this as it is not applicable.

Quote:
Don't know about you but I have a break point where wasting more time on the problem is just not worth it.
Nope, I totally agree. If the workaround is not costly and would take much less time than fixing the problem then I'd the same.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
Try to uninstall the flash player and reinstall it again ... also try to check the settings of ur browser ( Use Google Chrome instead )
if the problem still on then i recommend u Reinstall the OS ( Windows ) p.s u will need to backup ur data from Drive C.

For more:[url]http://www.techyv.com/questions/adobe-flash-player-installation-failed[/url]

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Oh my mistake, I thought you actually bought her a new PC.
In a way you are correct, I bought her the laptop almost two years ago....

To say I'm jealous would be an understatement, I bought her Windows 7 (Full) Home Premium on Amazon for $99.00....

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
some vendors do not provide a Windows CD/DVD with the machine. What they do is, they place a restore partition on the drive itself which is stupid because if and when the drive fails, your restore/recovery partition is gone too.
That is why one should make the two recovery disks as soon as possible as I mentioned before.

So, it is NOT that they do not give you the disks, but you have to *make* them yourself !!!

I also said, to store them and not loose them, because for some reason or another, you can make these recovery disks only once !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers