U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 12:03 PM

159 posts, read 326,181 times

Advertisements

PC World - In Pictures: The Most Notable Notebooks of 2007 (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html - broken link)

PC Worlds most notable notebooks of 2007:
"The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. The $2419 (plus the price of a copy of Windows Vista, of course) MacBook Pro's PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88 beats Gateway's E-265M by a single point, but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows.
"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:55 AM

256 posts, read 758,619 times
Just one of the reasons why I use a Mac!

And where the heck are the rest of the Mac users?? I know they're in the forum somewhere...just quiet, I guess.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,409,530 times
I can't use a Mac. I must use a Windows machine. But I'm told repeatedly they are wonderful.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 PM

159 posts, read 326,181 times
Question Why not run Windows on your mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I can't use a Mac. I must use a Windows machine. But I'm told repeatedly they are wonderful.
You could get a mac and run Windows on it as well. That way you have Windows for those time you absolutely must have it and you can use OS X for everything else. I know that the MLS systems in quite a few states are Windows only.

There are actually two ways to run Windows on the new Intel macs.

You can use Apple's free BootCamp software with allows you to choose when your mac boots whether you want to run Windows or OS X. BootCamp is currently a public beta but is going to be included as part of OS X Leopard which is being released in November.

You can also purchase a virtual machine software such as Parallels that allows you to actually run Windows as an application inside OS X so you can have both running at the same time. This is what I have done since I need Windows to update my GPS unit.

BootCamp works with Windows XP and Windows Vista only, while Parallels works with all versions of Windows all the way back to 3.1 and with Linux and others as well.

Here are a couple of links to both options in case you are interested in checking out this solution.

Apple - Boot Camp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ - broken link)

Parallels Desktop for Mac

Just a thought.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:37 PM

615 posts, read 796,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharPit View Post
You could get a mac and run Windows on it as well. That way you have Windows for those time you absolutely must have it and you can use OS X for everything else.
That's exactly what I do. I use Parallels and its like I have two computers for the price of one! Whenever I need to use the PC, I switch to Windows, and the rest of the time I'll switch back to to use the Mac.

I only really need Windows because there is a feature that only Internet Explorer has that no other browser does, and that is the ability to load and run my Time Card, which does not support Firefox, Safari, etc... So, basically I just need it for the browser so I can get paid!

Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,409,530 times
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've researched this, and while it might indeed be possible, the tech support people at the software vendor simply say "we do not support macs". I work with the MLS database all day. The software is custom written for the MLS in my state. I pay a thousand dollars+ a year to a specific software vendor to have password access to this database. And it's only written for Windows machines. I could be the only subscriber to try to use this with an Intel based Mac and one of the programs/os you mention - but it seems like I'd be on thin ice if the vendor's tech support people simply won't support a mac.

I'm guessing this will change in the future, but for now the very real risks seem to outweigh the benefits. Particularly with the high cost of Macs and the fact that they release new operating systems much more often than Microsoft does...I'm no huge fan of microsoft mind you - if I had to buy a new machine today I'd buy it with XP and extra RAM, (not Vista) and upgrade later...

Sometime I'll try parallels out in my local MAC shop and work with the MLS to see how it works, out of curiosity.

Thanks!
David Beckett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharPit View Post
You could get a mac and run Windows on it as well. That way you have Windows for those time you absolutely must have it and you can use OS X for everything else. I know that the MLS systems in quite a few states are Windows only.

There are actually two ways to run Windows on the new Intel macs.

You can use Apple's free BootCamp software with allows you to choose when your mac boots whether you want to run Windows or OS X. BootCamp is currently a public beta but is going to be included as part of OS X Leopard which is being released in November.

You can also purchase a virtual machine software such as Parallels that allows you to actually run Windows as an application inside OS X so you can have both running at the same time. This is what I have done since I need Windows to update my GPS unit.

BootCamp works with Windows XP and Windows Vista only, while Parallels works with all versions of Windows all the way back to 3.1 and with Linux and others as well.

Here are a couple of links to both options in case you are interested in checking out this solution.

Apple - Boot Camp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ - broken link)

Parallels Desktop for Mac

Just a thought.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:02 AM

468 posts, read 1,525,082 times
Proud Mac user right here

Old 09-12-2007, 02:43 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,932,149 times
For laptops I think mac's are on par with PC's. However desktop PC's are far superior being that you can actually change your components with relative ease.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:42 PM

9,348 posts, read 16,132,643 times
This doesn't surprise me 1 bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
For laptops I think mac's are on par with PC's. However desktop PC's are far superior being that you can actually change your components with relative ease.
You can do the same thing on a Mac, I have upgraded my sound card, video card and hard drive all myself on my Mac G5 Tower.

Apple writes drivers for ATI video cards, so they work just fine.

Adding memory is easy on a Mac...

The only thing that is difficult to upgrade is the MBoard and CPU, but by the time you are ready to upgrade that you might as well buy a new machine anyway.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:02 PM

19,105 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Anothe Mac gut here. Luv em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or