U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Generally I avoid faxes as I agree that they are an outdated concept, but I have a few times a year where it's the easiest method to get something accomplished.
I don't like physical fax either. To retain a copy, you would have to file away the document you faxed which would be a pain but ultimately.

It all boils down to the volume of faxing, cost of operation including all hardware, software and services needed. If it is only a few pages a month, then physical fax makes sense.

If your fax and phone call volume is low, then you could use the same line as the analog phone and the machine would detect the incoming fax signal and answer it after x many rings which is something you configure.

OP would still need a Multifunction device just to be able to scan hard copy material into a soft copy format if she needed to send it via e-mail or if you needed to print a soft fax document, it makes sense to have a MFC unit, regardless.

For high volume faxing, using an Open Source fax server might be a viable option as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Yup - like it fine. And yes - you can scan directly to a PDF (or a JPG). I've not had it long enough to replace toner or other supplies... but I think its fairly cheap (<$40 for a generic cartridge?).

And I do want to clarify something - you don't need a "dedicated" line for fax. If you have an existing phone line, you can use the same line for your fax as well. You'd just have to set it up so that it won't pick-up on voice calls (either set it to pick up after a certain number of rings, or I believe most machines can distinguish if its a incoming fax vs. a voice call).

Having said that - I think where a fax comes in handy in the past was if you had to provide a signed document. Usually you'll get the form via email or downloaded online. Even if you can fill it out on the computer, signing it was an issue. But with the scanner - you can just print it, sign it, scan it and send it back as an email attachment. Just be sure to encrypt the document if it contains sensitive information.
This.

You run the phone line from the wall to the fax then a second one from the fax to your phone.

The machine will pick up the line if it hears the fax tone, otherwise it ignores the call and lets it go to the phone.

Here's an example with it running to an answering machine instead of a phone.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,994,690 times
Wow - great info! Thanks Tek!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 3,437,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

OP would still need a Multifunction device just to be able to scan hard copy material into a soft copy format if she needed to send it via e-mail or if you needed to print a soft fax document, it makes sense to have a MFC unit, regardless.
A multifunction device is completely unnecessary provided you have a smart phone. There are a number of apps just for this purpose. I use the Camscanner app all the time. It takes a digital picture of your document and converts it to .pdf and you can then attach it directly to an email on your device and email it out. My phone creates higher resolution images than any Multifunction scanner and pretty much most any scanner. I can take the picture, create the .pdf and email it, all in just a couple of minutes.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
A multifunction device is completely unnecessary provided you have a smart phone. There are a number of apps just for this purpose. I use the Camscanner app all the time. It takes a digital picture of your document and converts it to .pdf and you can then attach it directly to an email on your device and email it out. My phone creates higher resolution images than any Multifunction scanner and pretty much most any scanner. I can take the picture, create the .pdf and email it, all in just a couple of minutes.
I am a fan of Camscanner

Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
A multifunction device is completely unnecessary provided you have a smart phone.
Oh, I didn't know she had a smart phone. Then yeah, a MFC would be pointless!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,994,690 times
I do not have a smart phone. I live in a rural area with no cell phone coverage.

I think I'm going to just go with the Brother Scanner/Printer. As long as it scans to .pdf I can send documents via email.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
I do not have a smart phone. I live in a rural area with no cell phone coverage.

I think I'm going to just go with the Brother Scanner/Printer. As long as it scans to .pdf I can send documents via email.
It didn't sound like you had one but ....
Anyhow, I think you will be OK with a Brother. As far as converting scanned pages to .PDF goes, it is usually done via bundled software but all newer MFCs seem to from what I have seen.

After getting one, I suggest you check the manufacturer's web site for driver and software updates as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or