U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 AM

15,233 posts, read 20,182,538 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to buy a new computer and will want to transfer my saved Earthlink emails and Firefox bookmarks from my current computer to the new one.

I've been saving the emails and bookmarks on a flash drive. But I'm not sure how they will look when I insert the flash drive into the new computer.

I'm especially concerned about the bookmarks -- will they transfer in the same format as on the current computer (listed in a Sidebar) or will they come across as links that I have to click on and then save again?

As you can tell, I'm very computer-illiterate so please use small words. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Moving these items is fairly easy, and should be an exact move (no links to click on). There are actually a couple of ways to do it, but it depends upon the answers to the questions below.

Do you know what version of Firefox you use?

How do you read your email; On the Earthlink web site, or with a mail program, and if you use a program which one (Thunderbird, Outlook Express, etc)?

Will you have the old computer available once you have the new one?

What operating system, and version is the old machine? (Windows XP, OSX)

Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Bless you, Skunk Workz!

I'm using an old version of Firefox -- 3.6.27 -- because I dont like some things about the newer versions. I know that I'll have to upgrade to 10.0.2.

I dont use the Earthlink web site. I use Earthlink Total Access (which is now an unsupported program).

Yes, I'll have access to the old computer when setting up the new one.

My current 7-year old computer has Windows XP but the new computer will have Windows 7. Both are Gateways.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I've been saving the emails and bookmarks on a flash drive. But I'm not sure how they will look when I insert the flash drive into the new computer.

I'm especially concerned about the bookmarks -- will they transfer in the same format as on the current computer (listed in a Sidebar) or will they come across as links that I have to click on and then save again?
Not sure if the older versions of Firefox are the same but here goes:
Click on [Bookmarks], then [Show all Bookmarks]
New window shows up.

I assume, because you mentioned that you have them already on a *Flashdrive*, that you already used [Import and Backup].

With the Flashdrive installed, click on [Import and Backup], then [Restore], [Choose File].
New windows shows up.
In that window, *find* your Flashdrive and let it restore from there.

To *find* your Flashdrive, look in left panel, and scroll up to [Computer].
Underneath that you should *see* your Flashdrive.

NOTE:
If you have NOT backed up your *Bookmarks*, then do so first from your *old* machine.,
in a similar manner as [Restore].
Come to think of it, I have no idea how you saved your bookmarks before, so may be a good thing to back them up first ? This way, you make sure it is in the *proper* format for Firefox !

While you set up Firefox on your *new* machine, it usually asks you to import bookmarks ... I think ...

HTH

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Earthlink has an export tool so that you can get everything out of total access and into Windows Live Mail (The default free mail program for Windows 7). You could also import into other mail apps as well.

The EarthLink/TotalAccess Mailbox Export Tool

It has pretty detailed instructions, but you can always post here if you need help with the process.

For Firefox you have a few different choices.

If you only want the bookmarks, then follow the instructions that irman laid out for exporting / importing the bookmarks.

If you want everything from Firefox (history, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc) then you'll want to sync, or move the profile.

If you are going to upgrade anyway on the new machine, I'd probably just upgrade the old one, and then use the built in Sync feature. It will move everything from one computer to the other automatically. This method won't move your themes or extensions but you'll probably have to reinstall those due to upgrading anyway.

How do I set up Firefox Sync? | How to | Firefox Help

The other choice is to find the Firefox profile folder on the old machine, and copy the files in it to the new machine. This will move everything including themes and extensions. I'd upgrade the old machine first and get all of the themes and extensions set up just the way you like them, then install FF on the new machine and copy the profile (before doing anything else).

Profiles | How to | Firefox Help << this link explains how to find the profile folders on each computer. Then you'll just copy all of the files from the old computer to the new one and restart FF.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 AM

WOW! AWESOME! Thanks so much, irman and Skunk Workz!!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
In case you really, really want to keep your old version of FF. Warning: The old version might not run on Windows 7. If it doesn't you can try successively newer versions or just bit the bullet and load the new one.

Old Version of Firefox Download - OldApps.com

3.6.27 is in that list, BTW.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 PM

Thanks, Tek! Many of the newer versions of Firefox dont play well with with certain products (like Google Search). I know I'm going to have to upgrade eventually but I'm fighting it as long as I can.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,431,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Thanks, Tek! Many of the newer versions of Firefox dont play well with with certain products (like Google Search). I know I'm going to have to upgrade eventually but I'm fighting it as long as I can.
Here is a video tutorial I put together which tells you how to set up bookmarks on a late version of Firefox.

Might make it more acceptable to you.

Hank

Organizing your Bookmarks on Firefox - YouTube (http://tinyurl.com/77z2t9a - broken link)

Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM

What an awesome video, Hank! Thanks so much!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers