Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times

Advertisements

Last week, I tried to turn on my laptop. It was able to turn on but after the loading screen, it wouldn't start up. I tried to boot it in safe mode, but it wouldn't start up. My laptop came with a recovery disc. I put in the recovery disc, and it was able to load. But all there was is a movable arrow over a blank screen. I then ripped my laptop apart so I could get to the fan, and clean out all that dust in it. I thought it was that my laptop's hard drive was unusable because there was so much cr@ap in the fan. When I tried to put it back together, there is a cable that connects from the monitor onto the hard drive (with the keyboard, mouse, etc). The cable was so short that I couldn't plug it back in. I got so frustrated that i dismantled the laptop and took out the battery, hard drive, and memory (RAM). I put the dismantled laptop in a plastic bag, and threw it in my shed. Now I'm stuck without a laptop, and it would of been expensive to repair the laptop. I could of got a new one instead of paying for expensive tech support, but I have no money. That laptop is nearly 5 years old. I'm using someone else's laptop now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
So what would you like us to do?

Tell you you should have bought a replacement drive?

Go to http://www.ifixit.com/ and see if they have a guide to repair your laptop?

What?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
So go to Craigslist and buy a cheap one.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
I got messages before it happened that said:

"Windows detects the hard drive is failing"

I went to Device Manager and other places to check, and it's "Working Properly". It took me a long time to find some anti malware software because I thought I had those on my laptop.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Cable management inside a laptop is a biatch.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
The very first thing you should have removed is the battery. Sounds like it should have also been the last thing you removed.

Laptops don't seem to be you forte, and giving you advise on how to manage your anger issues is not mine.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Now take a hammer and smash your hard drive into a small pieces. Someone might pick up it from your trash and get into your files...

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Last week, I tried to turn on my laptop. It was able to turn on but after the loading screen, it wouldn't start up. I tried to boot it in safe mode, but it wouldn't start up. My laptop came with a recovery disc. I put in the recovery disc, and it was able to load. But all there was is a movable arrow over a blank screen. I then ripped my laptop apart so I could get to the fan, and clean out all that dust in it. I thought it was that my laptop's hard drive was unusable because there was so much cr@ap in the fan. When I tried to put it back together, there is a cable that connects from the monitor onto the hard drive (with the keyboard, mouse, etc). The cable was so short that I couldn't plug it back in. I got so frustrated that i dismantled the laptop and took out the battery, hard drive, and memory (RAM). I put the dismantled laptop in a plastic bag, and threw it in my shed. Now I'm stuck without a laptop, and it would of been expensive to repair the laptop. I could of got a new one instead of paying for expensive tech support, but I have no money. That laptop is nearly 5 years old. I'm using someone else's laptop now.
If you live in South Texas I'll gladly take that plastic bag off your hands...

Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I got messages before it happened that said:

"Windows detects the hard drive is failing"

I went to Device Manager and other places to check, and it's "Working Properly". It took me a long time to find some anti malware software because I thought I had those on my laptop.
There's a clue, right thar!!!

Seems you should have been here asking questions before you decided to tear apart your laptop for no reason. In the shed, huh? Kinda like a little boy who's been bad?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
I am curious, what else is in the shed?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers