U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM

12,270 posts, read 9,614,225 times

Advertisements

My boss sent an email to my Gmail account with an email trail from his boss I'm sure I wasn't supposed to see. I starred the email and replied carefully, but when I checked my smart phone an hour later the email was gone. I checked my desktop, saw the original email, but it disappeared, right in front of my eyes, before I could read it again.

There is no trace of the original email, no trace of my reply in the Sent Mail folder, nothing in the Starred folder, nothing in trash, and several searches turned up nothing tucked away in any folders on my computer. The original email isn't that big a deal, I'm just astonished it could disappear so completely.

Anyone familiar with this? Are there programs out there that can recall and delete sent emails? The turnaround time from his original email to my reply was 10 minutes max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
This seems very unlikely. Gmail does not have a recall feature (in the case it was gmail to gmail). There is no recall feature that goes across email providers.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 PM

It does seem unlikely, that's what's bugging me about this. I've spent the last couple hours running searches on this subject (when I should've finished my taxes). Once an email is sent, that's it, there's no getting it back. Certain networked systems seem to have a recall feature, but this is my home computer. I'll talk to our tech guy about it tomorrow and see what he says.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 PM

Found this - How To Recall Email In Gmail

Old 03-07-2012, 11:56 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
That's just a 30 second delay that allows you to cancel the transmission. It's not really a recall.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 AM

39,930 posts, read 57,770,652 times
Oh, yeah - there are ways to send secure email that could be read/respond only once and then it will disappear from the server.
Like this, but there are more such programs to use. I use it myself.
2 Free Online Tools to Encrypt Your Emails & Securely Send Confidential Emails
https://burnnote.com/#/
http://techztricks.blogspot.com/2012/01/trick-to-automatically-delete-email.html (broken link)
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 03-08-2012 at 12:32 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Spoke to my tech guys today. We don't use anything like what elnina described above, and we don't have the capability to recall email once it's sent out. Whatever happened is totally my bad. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,290 times
I belong to a recreational organisation and emails that have been sent from one of the members have disappeared, not only from my computer but also from other members' computers. How can this happen. Are our other emails secure? There is a concern that this particular member also used another member's email address to send a mischievous email as if it came from him. How can someone do this?

Old 01-09-2016, 09:42 AM

988 posts, read 510,857 times
I'm not a gmail expert, but I had a gmail account at a school I worked at, and I believe that my account was part of a group over which they had superuser privileges. In other words, I could store documents, emails, etc. in "my" account, but it was more like a sub-account of the school.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 9,290 times
I've discovered the reason behind my disappearing emails. They occurred after updating software on my iPad. On going to the desktop computer I found the missing emails on a file set aside for retaining these emails. Relieved there was no hacking although the use of my friends email address to send what appeared to be a mischief making email was certainly hacked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers