U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,980,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That is a old wives tale, and wrong.

If you were talking about a hard drive I would agree with you, but on an integrated circuit like memory the more proven it is and still completely reliable.

Nor is "newer" memory better, as the motherboard requires very specific spec's on memory. As long as it meets the standard required by the mother board, performance will be optimal for the system.

The worst possible advise anyone can give is blatantly wrong advise, and you have done exactly that. If you don't know, put a sock in it
You are one rude person that has no couth at all!

My opinion is based on my experience which I clearly stated as such. But no you gotta get all huffy and rude.

YOU stick a sock in it............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,708,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post

My opinion is based on my experience which I clearly stated as such. But no you gotta get all huffy and rude.

You said nothing about "opinion" - you stated false facts. It's more beneficial if you take that advice, rather than AN. It'll save people some money that way.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,980,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
You said nothing about "opinion" - you stated false facts. It's more beneficial if you take that advice, rather than AN. It'll save people some money that way.
Bull manure! EVERYBODY post their opinion on forums like this. Experts gat paid for their advice and I'm retired now.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,708,241 times
Right, but there is no such thing as an opinion that dictates fact. We can have an opinion on whether or not we like the color blue. We can have an opinion on what type of cereal we prefer. There can't be an opinion on fact, it's fact. It is not your opinion that RAM ages and slows down, it's your incorrect assumption that RAM ages and slows down.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't. I only wanted to point out that there is a point of diminishing returns with any upgrade, and when those upgrades are more costly because the components are outdated, the point where you're better off putting the money towards a new system comes sooner.
We're talking 20 - 30 bucks here. If that is an issue for the OP, then a new system is kinda moot. And still RAM is the best bang for the buck.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Is this your way of apologizing for giving erroneous information to a novice asking for help.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Bull manure! EVERYBODY post their opinion on forums like this. Experts gat paid for their advice and I'm retired now.
First technical sub-forums are not for opinion, go over the relationship area if you want opinions.

I am also retired, but that is not a license or excuse to give totally wrong advise to someone asking for a little help.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,442,300 times
Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The original poster was asking a question, expecting a factual response, not an opinion. You gave an opinion, stated as fact, and it is absolutely wrong (for being a fact). You stated from experience that behavior of memory. That is a sample size of one. A sample of one only indicates existence. My sample size is a little bit larger, by a few orders of magnitude.

I make no claims whatsoever for my 'expertise', but my advice (take if for what you think it is worth) is free.

I too am retired (not bad for early 40's huh?), but that is because we were paid to give factual advice, not opinions. (Well the triple masters in EE related fields, plus a few others didn't hurt either).

Could you enlighten us on your opinion of what happens when you cross polysilicon with N-diffusion, or the effects of gate capacitance in a CMOS device? Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
GOod post Irman except for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
2014 is still a long time away from today, and even after that,
there is really no need to replace anything, *just because*.
When Microsoft stops supporting an Operating System you absolutely should stop using is. It will be attacked by hackers and be very insecure with not support from MS.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
If we're done bashing can we get back to the OP? The point has been made... repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers