Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
That makes close to no sense but whatever floats your boat.

Laptops can be had within days, or less than an hour if you buy one at a B&M location. If you're job searching 24 hours a day and coming up empty handed, review your strategy because it ain't workin'
First of all only someone on medication job searches 24 hours a day. I need my laptop for JOB SEARCH and ENTERTAINMENT so that's why i need a backup laptop just in case something goes wrong with this one. I'm thinking of getting a cheap used laptop since I;m not working right now and then once i start working I can replace the laptop I'm typing on now and still keep the cheap one as a backup,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
First of all only someone on medication job searches 24 hours a day. I need my laptop for JOB SEARCH and ENTERTAINMENT so that's why i need a backup laptop just in case something goes wrong with this one. I'm thinking of getting a cheap used laptop since I;m not working right now and then once i start working I can replace the laptop I'm typing on now and still keep the cheap one as a backup,
Chill, I've just never heard of anyone owning a "backup TV" or "backup laptop" - it just seems irrational to me. If you think that's how it should be, it's your money, not mine. Of course you can spend it as you see fit.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Chill, I've just never heard of anyone owning a "backup TV" or "backup laptop" - it just seems irrational to me. If you think that's how it should be, it's your money, not mine. Of course you can spend it as you see fit.
So if the TV or Computer in your house dies today what happens? Will you have to wait until the next day to get another TV or computer?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Maybe you just need to get a pen stick or big external driver to back up your stuff on a daily/weekly basis - depends on your data size. You can also back up to the server. That way if your computer breaks, you will get all your data saved.
But if you want to make sure that you have a constant access to a computer, then buying a cheap/or used laptop makes sense.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe you just need to get a pen stick or big external driver to back up your stuff on a daily/weekly basis - depends on your data size. You can also back up to the server. That way if your computer breaks, you will get all your data saved.
Its not about having my stuff saved, it's about not having a computer at all if the one I;m typing on dies without warning. That would mean that I have no internet access at all an that would deal because the internet is on the same level as cable. I use cable and the internet everyday for entertainment and having both on a daily is important.

Almost like Food and water

Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
If you want it cheap, maybe you should call few repair centers and ask if they have used computers for sale. Sometimes clients bring in computers to repair, and when the repair is too expensive or takes too long, they decide to buy new. The shop fix it anyway and then try to sell.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you want it cheap, maybe you should call few repair centers and ask if they have used computers for sale. Sometimes clients bring in computers to repair, and when the repair is too expensive or takes too long, they decide to buy new. The shop fix it anyway and then try to sell.
Well the laptop I'm using now i bought used from ebay in sept of 2009 and now it's time to upgrade because of things that has been happening since August. Back in August the backlight of the screen blew out and now I'm having issues with the keyboard. So I still say it was a goo buy for $275 which was almost years ago. So just like a TV or DVD player, at some point you have to replace it because the life span is only 4 to 5 years. I know I'm not supposed to make a upgrade while unemployed but this is important and I dont want to be in a situation where I have to lose a week of job search due to no computer. So I have made the decision to get a new laptop before April 4th and this computer I;m using will be a backup and be put away just in case of an emergency.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So if the TV or Computer in your house dies today what happens? Will you have to wait until the next day to get another TV or computer?
Of course. If my TV goes out, it will not hurt me to go without TV for a day or two...or a week or whatever. If my computer goes down, I'll order the part via newegg and replace it. If I can't fix it, order a new laptop or order parts for a new PC. Pretty simple.

Can you believe that people used to not have computers at all? They used newspapers, physical job applications, things of that nature. OH THE HUMANITY!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Of course. If my TV goes out, it will not hurt me to go without TV for a day or two...or a week or whatever. If my computer goes down, I'll order the part via newegg and replace it. If I can't fix it, order a new laptop or order parts for a new PC. Pretty simple.

Can you believe that people used to not have computers at all? They used newspapers, physical job applications, things of that nature. OH THE HUMANITY!
Again my computer is also for entertainment not just job searching.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:59 PM

This is beyond the scope of this thread, it's obvious you and I have differing opinions on our priorities and needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers