U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,103 times

Advertisements

I have a HP Pavilion dm1-2010nr notebook from Verizon wireless. I have a couple of issues that I have not had a problem with in the past. Major issue is that firefox (which has always been a sound browser for me)as soon as I click it I am having a complete system freeze! This has never happened in the past. Also I am not able to do a system restore at all. It will let me choose the date and start to restore and then freeze the whole operating system. This has never happened either. I do not understand what is going on with this. Also my apartment complex offers free internet with the apartment and she said I just needed a router. Will the modem in my laptop connect to this or what do I have to do to pick up the internet that I pay for in my rent each month???? Thanks in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
First step: Get a copy of Malwarebytes and run it. Since Firefox freezes use Internet Explorer to download it or get a friend to copy it to a flash drive so you can install it from there. Let it check for updates when you run it. After it finishes reboot and see of the problem has stopped. If it hasn't post here again.

Having a router won't fix the problems you describe, but I would recommend one for your protection.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM

Exclamation Help again

I have use Malwarebytes which I use all the time. It tells me there are 6 different Trojans. I press the button to fix them and run it again and it tells me there is 1 problem. I fix that and restart and it goes back to 6 Trojans again. Also I used Spybot and it finds what is called Smithfraud-C.gp [SBI $8E7F06B8] Executable C:\\Windows\Svchost.exe. Spybot will not delete or fix this problem. The Trojans just say Trojan.agent
My system will not restore to an earlier time! I have run all these things in safe mode. I am stumped! My registry program is complaining that files do not exist. I have never had a problem!!!! Please I am at the end of my rope!!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,373,383 times
Here's how you get rid of the Turbonet Trojan c.exe

First I'd be careful down loading any Trojan finding/killing programs, I downloaded a free copy Malwarebytes, and ended up worst off that I had to reformat my laptop. The free copy had a loaded-trojan...

I reccomend getting at least a free copy of AVG an anti-virus program. I spent the extra few dollars and upgraded to a full working anti-virus program. I have my computers protected now, flags pop up it there is any type active scripts trying to get into my computer.

Here's what you need to do - reboot your computer into Safe Mode." Press the "F8" key during the BIOS startup. Select the option to boot into Safe Mode and press "Enter."

Open your anti-virus program and select the drive that is infected. The program will scan your drive for all known viruses. Depending on the size of your drive, this process could take more than an hour. When the program has completed the scan, select the files in the results list that are associated with TurboNet c.exe Trojan and click "Remove."

Reboot your computer and allow it to boot into Normal Mode. The TurboNet c.exe virus should be removed. Check your computer files and double check that the anti-virus has deleted all of the files associated with TurboNet Trojan c.exe.

As far as connecting to another router - your should have a little icon in the bottom left hand corner that you can click on to see what wireless networks are available. To connect is as simple as double clicking, though you might need the router key that is normally printed on thew actual router, you enter this key before you can access the internet...

Good Luck

Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
SUPERAntispyware.SAS has very up to date smitfraud detection and removal processes.

SUPERAntispyware here
Download SAS (free edition) and save it to your desktop. Install the program then open it and let it do all the updates.

Next boot your computer into "safe mode" by tapping the f8 key during startup. Open SAS and click the "Scan your computer" button.

Now select "perform complete scan" and click "next".

SAS will now commence a thorough scan of your computer (memory, registry and file items). This may take a while but let it complete the scan fully. Once it has finished quarantine the selections.

Now boot your pc up normally and run another thorough scan. You may find that it picks up a few more items, this is normal, can you post back how this went and if anymore entries, if any, are smitfraud related.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
First I'd be careful down loading any Trojan finding/killing programs, I downloaded a free copy Malwarebytes, and ended up worst off that I had to reformat my laptop. The free copy had a loaded-trojan...
You need to be more careful about where you download files...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
You might want to use an anti virus program to scan for something called a trojan. Any AV program will work. My preference is MSE

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You need to be more careful about where you download files...
Using malwarebytes.org is probably safe. Download.com is owned by CNET, so it is safe. I've never seen a problem coming from majorgeeks, and I think you have said before that filehippo is a reliable download site. I'm sure there are others.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM

I always use majorgeeks for software. I am to the point of giving up! Is there a way to wipe out everything but my windows 7? Probably a stupid question but I have recently started being interested in my computer. My system restore does not work. It just hangs every time!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina2die4 View Post
I always use majorgeeks for software. I am to the point of giving up! Is there a way to wipe out everything but my windows 7? Probably a stupid question but I have recently started being interested in my computer. My system restore does not work. It just hangs every time!
Sure. You can restore it back to the precise condition it was in the day you opened the box. I put "how to restore an hp pavilion to factory setting" into a google search and found several promising entries on the first page, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Be sure you back up everything you want to keep; documents, favorites, desktop shortcuts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers