U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,898 times

Advertisements

In the town I live in we have approximately three or four television stations that broadcasts the news at 6pm almost every night, TV stations you can watch by using rabbit ears, minus cable or satellite, which is very nice for those of us who decided to "cut the cable." Almost all of these TV stations allow you to easily copy a typically short 2 or 3 minute news video to your hard drive (like a lot of people I have thousands of videos copied to my hard drive and many of those videos are related to my favorite subject: current events). Now that's all well and dandy but there's one local news station - a bad, greedy TV station - that is not nice to people. They're not nice because they prevent copying due to the DRM software they decided to put in place. Which is ridiculous. And a little SOPA-like. And like a big corporation flipping you off with their middle finger. Can anyone recommend a program that will allow you to copy a DRM saturated video to your hard drive? I prefer freeware but if it's a paid version you know what they say "Beggars can't be choosy" and that's exactly how I feel because I did a search and I did not find any software that destroys DRM in it's tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,708,241 times
Unfortunately we aren't supposed to talk of such things. The most prominent point I can make is that while you may view that station as evil or greedy, they created and own that content, and shouldn't be expected to give it away willingly. By making you watch it on their site, they gain ad revenue and traffic. Downloading it for viewing later does not benefit them.

Ultimately, it's just the way capitalism works

Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,762,777 times
I'm assuming that you're using a computer TV card to record the digital tv transmission. If that is the case, the content is not encrypted by DRM, but rather the broadcaster is setting the broadcast flag to keep you from recording. The thing is that the broadcast flag is not mandated by the government and the receiving equipment has to voluntarily decide to obey it. https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/0...a-no-broadcast

Micro$oft has decided to obey the broadcast flag. Try using a different program or even a different OS if possible. I use MythTV and have no problems whatsoever recording anything on TV.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/0...-and-microsoft

Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
You can always try calling them and purchasing a license to copy. I've seen that done a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or