U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,073 times

Advertisements

I recently upgraded my 18 month old gaming computer with an MSI N580gtx vid card and Corsair TX750 power supply. It initially powered up fine, and I left it to run overnight. In the morning it was still running with no problems so I next tried playing some Skyrim on it. After a few minutes of this the computer abruptly powered down. I figured it was probably a heat issue so I removed the side panel from my tower (I have a filtered Cooler Master case and run an air purifier in the room, so not much dirt in there...the air flow seems pretty good) and tried running the game again, this time while monitoring the digital display for CPU temp on my motherboard and paying attention to how the PSU fan was running. The CPU temp. gradually went to 85 (celsius I assume) and stayed there. I noticed the PSU fan never did seem to blow very much air, though you could feel more heat. Shouldn't the fan speed up? It never did shut down like it did before, though it actually has done it twice, but I suspect that may be because I had the case open this time and it stayed a little cooler.

So anyway, should I return the power supply?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Put back in the old vid card, still does the same thing?

Bring back the PS.

The 85 must be C = 185 F, kinda hot for a CPU...

What mobo/CPU?

Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Mobo: MSI MS-7581

Processor: Intel I7 870@2.93Ghz (quad core)

I won't have time to mess with changing the vidcard again til tuesday though...if/when I try that I'll post what happens.

I would try running the new vidcard with the old PSU but I know that wont work--old PSU is only 460 watts, card requires 650. Or did you mean I should return the power supply?

Is it possible for the vidcard to cause the pc to abruptly power off like that? Jeez I hope that's not it--500 bucks.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
85C is well above the recommend maximum temperature of the cpu. You can look it up for that specific processor but 70C is commonly where the system will shutdown or throttle.

If your cpu is really that warm you have either a very poor cpu cooler or it is not properly seated on the processor.

It should have almost nothing to do with the power supply. The new gpu may be adding to the heat.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsayers1068 View Post
Mobo: MSI MS-7581

Processor: Intel I7 870@2.93Ghz (quad core)

I won't have time to mess with changing the vidcard again til tuesday though...if/when I try that I'll post what happens.

I would try running the new vidcard with the old PSU but I know that wont work--old PSU is only 460 watts, card requires 650. Or did you mean I should return the power supply?

Is it possible for the vidcard to cause the pc to abruptly power off like that? Jeez I hope that's not it--500 bucks.
Take a look at this:

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
I can't be the only one thinking "I doubt that temp is listed in Celsius" can I?

I've never seen one in the US that measure with celsius unless you set it that way. I don't think heat is your issue.
Aim a fan right in that bad boy and try it.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I can't be the only one thinking "I doubt that temp is listed in Celsius" can I?
You are not sir! I thought of the same thing, it was more than limkely Fahrenheit.

I would monitor is using Speedfan as plwhit suggest, one heck of a diagnostic tool indeed.

But perhaps, without changing the current hardware configuration, visually investigate the problem by taking a closer look at each and every fan while the side cover is open. Run the game again and check the CPU, Video and PSU fans, make sure they are all spinning. Also have Speedfan running and keep an eye on it too.

My best guess is, assuming the Video card or the PSU is not faulty, the Video card may not be properly seated or you might have loosened up another connection or card during the installation process.

There is something drawing too much power or overheating prematurely and I doubt the air circulation inside the case was the cause if it was working fine with the old gear.

If applicable, did you uninstall the old video drivers and also install the ones for the new card?
Did you mess with the BIOS settings? Check the power related settings in the BIOS to see what is the current threshold for power shut off.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM

If Fahrenheit is standard then that's probably the case. I have already confirmed that all fans are running, but was wondering if the PSU fan should speed up under load? My air circulation should be fine, I've never had any problem with this system before now, but I did a little research & found a peculiarity of this video card: it does not vent hot air to the outside, it does so into the inside of the case. Necessary to the design I suppose. There is a small vent on the side of the case (besides the one the CPU fan is ducted to), I wonder if I could possibly mount another exhaust fan there somehow? I removed the old video driver , installed the new one from the provided CD, & then updated it. I had kind of a hard time updating it, kept getting errors, and I thought I finally had it working right but today I noticed something: I can no longer get the Nvidia control panel to open--I click the shortcut, nothing happens. So I guess I need to restart from scratch on that. It's also probably worth noting that I read a recently posted review on Newegg of the PSU I bought that said the poster had gone through 4 of these PSUs in about a year and a half. Anyway, I'll try the Speedfan program and tomorrow I'll open it up & make sure everything is seated correctly. Thanks for all your help guys!

Oh, and no I haven't messed with the BIOS, been advised against that.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 PM

I think I figured out the problem.

There was more dirt in the CPU heatsink than I thought. I carefully blew this out with short bursts of canned air and the CPU immediately started running much cooler--currently at 41C. (yes the temp. was celsius) I also went into the BIOS and set the CPU fan to run at a min. speed of 87.5%. Apparently the new vid card was adding just enough heat to the case interior to make the cpu overheat & shut down.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Put back in the old vid card, still does the same thing?

Bring back the PS.

The 85 must be C = 185 F, kinda hot for a CPU...

What mobo/CPU?
85C is scorching for a processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I've never seen one in the US that measure with celsius unless you set it that way. I don't think heat is your issue.
Aim a fan right in that bad boy and try it.
Actually, I think Celcius is the default temperature readout for most programs and hardware. I've never see Fahrenheit as a default, and to be honest, since just about every spec-sheet lists their temperatures in Celsius most of the time, as well as benchmark scores, I've always just left it in Celsius for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsayers1068 View Post
I think I figured out the problem.

There was more dirt in the CPU heatsink than I thought. I carefully blew this out with short bursts of canned air and the CPU immediately started running much cooler--currently at 41C. (yes the temp. was celsius) I also went into the BIOS and set the CPU fan to run at a min. speed of 87.5%. Apparently the new vid card was adding just enough heat to the case interior to make the cpu overheat & shut down.
Yeah, that'll happen. Are you using a stock-cooler? I'd recommend upgrading to a beefier one, especially if you're running some pretty serious hardware. Also, I'd add an additional fan near that vent-hole if it supports it. You should be drawing air from the front of the case, and out the back if possible. Not every case has an intake in the front though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers