U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Vista had an early bug related to power management with wireless adapters. In an effort to save battery power, it was idling the wireless adapter when no data was transmitted.

I think a Vista update changed/fixed the behavior. Perhaps the Win7 install removed this support and it may now be a control panel option for the wireless adapter.
Good post. We have made sure Windows is not allowed to turn off the adapter. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Good post. We have made sure Windows is not allowed to turn off the adapter. Thanks.
What model laptop is it? HP's DV series (DV6000, etc) have faulty motherboards, and one of the symptoms is sporadic wireless.

Also, any results on those tests? Can you ping localhost? Can you get an IP? Can you see the wireless in device manager? Is the wireless on--dumb question, but I see people turn it off all the time by accidentally hitting the switch (both keyboard and physical).

Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Actually, when it does it's thing the wireless shuts itself off, or something does. Not her hitting it by accident.

I've not had a chance to reinstall the original drivers from the HP CD that came with the laptop. Those worked flawlessly and since it was Vista they should work OK.

I'm hoping to find time tomorrow to get the install done.

Thanks for checking on me!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,204,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
What model laptop is it? HP's DV series (DV6000, etc) have faulty motherboards, and one of the symptoms is sporadic wireless.

Also, any results on those tests? Can you ping localhost? Can you get an IP? Can you see the wireless in device manager? Is the wireless on--dumb question, but I see people turn it off all the time by accidentally hitting the switch (both keyboard and physical).
My laptop that went out was a DV4, it's only 3 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers