U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM

8,219 posts, read 11,017,949 times

Advertisements

I am buying a new computer. I currently have Norton and have had few problems with it, other than I need to uncheck the allow 3rd party extensions to check an account activity.

I can buy a 3 year Norton for $39 with the new HP from HP directly

OR

I can use the free Norton trial on an Hp from the computer store and see what they offer me to extend it, although I doubt it will beat the $39.

OR

The next option is what the computer store is suggestingand that is ESET for $50 for a year or 4 years for $120.

I know that Norton is a HOG but I never heard of ESET.
Advice anyone? I hate DELL and McAfee so don't suggest that as an alternative, but other than that I am all ears. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 06:19 PM

4,595 posts, read 8,199,855 times
If anti-malware is all your looking for - then also consider Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

ESET's products are also fairly popular in organizations. Not as big as Symantec/McAfee/Trend, but they also tend to concentrate on a small set of products whereas the others are all over the security spectrum (for better or worse).

Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
As Dell doesn't have a brand name antivirus app, how could we possible mention them?
I will second MSE, antivirus software today is too innefective to waste money on it. Proper netiquette and safe surfing habits are far more effective than any antivirus app.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 PM

8,219 posts, read 11,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As Dell doesn't have a brand name antivirus app, how could we possible mention them?
I will second MSE, antivirus software today is too innefective to waste money on it. Proper netiquette and safe surfing habits are far more effective than any antivirus app.

Sorry, I am not a tech on computers. Is MSE a program that does it all or is it just antivirus?
The norton is Norton Internet security 2011. I really don't know what I should have or not have on the computer. I know I need antivirus, what about spam and spy ware? Or is that all the same. The Norton mentions a firewall but I don't know what that is. I am an adult nearing early retirement but admit that this stuff just it way over my head.

So if I understand you, you think the MSE is as good as either of the other 2 I mentioned. Thanks again

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,307,495 times
Yes, MSE (which is free) is every bit as good as the paid antivirus solutions. Go with that. It's easy to setup.

Prior to discovering MSE some years back, I used and liked Eset's NOD32. Haven't used anything Norton in like 7 years...I dunno if its still the case today but back then I thought Norton was terrible; hardly any better than McAfee. Unnecessarily high memory footprint and a pain to uninstall completely. I like reliable anti-virus software that keeps a low profile.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
Yes, MSE (which is free) is every bit as good as the paid antivirus solutions. Go with that. It's easy to setup.

Prior to discovering MSE some years back, I used and liked Eset's NOD32. Haven't used anything Norton in like 7 years...I dunno if its still the case today but back then I thought Norton was terrible; hardly any better than McAfee. Unnecessarily high memory footprint and a pain to uninstall completely. I like reliable anti-virus software that keeps a low profile.
2009 and newer Norton is a completely different product than earlier versions. It's up there with the rest. Unfortunately, the rest aren't all that high. There really is no one solution that's just the "best". Eset had it's day but it doesn't have an edge anymore.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,035,695 times
MSE for sure

Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,681,436 times
Another vote for MSE. I use it or Avast on all of our family and business computers, and all of the computers that I maintain for extended family (Parents, in laws, sisters family, etc).

Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 AM

11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times
MSE covers both virus protection and malware protection. It is free. It takes no effort to maintain since that is handled by Windows Updates. There are other good products and there are other good free products. MSE is good, free, and easy to use.

Basic rule I've posted here before: Never pay for antivirus software.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-22-2012 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: added rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers