U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,888,752 times

Advertisements

Malwarebytes (http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342/4/7268/free_g.html?x-at=regGcbmd - broken link)

If I'm reading correctly it says it will send to your email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM

2,182 posts, read 4,708,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Malwarebytes (http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342/4/7268/free_g.html?x-at=regGcbmd - broken link)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free Download and Reviews - Fileforum

Either way, I don't think it's a virus. I think it's your noscript.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post

I can't even figure out how you got to that screen. I did notice that when I click download it now goes to Major Geeks and I have to get it there, but nothing about email.

Try this: Download

and be patient. Sometimes it takes the download box to open.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post

Malwarebytes doesn't deal with viruses. She's already used her AV. Even if it's not something Malwarebytes will get rid of it's always a good idea to run a program like this on a regular basis as is Ccleaner.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Are you going to give advice about how to stop noscript from blocking this or just leave the OP hanging?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
Corrupt Internet cache files? Some sort of a security or script blocking software? Corrupt browser? I don't know.
I don't either, that is what hopefully we will figure out but whatever it is, it is not your Hotmail account in general but isolated to that particular computer. From the info you provided, I am leaning toward either corrupt browser files or a program/add-on blocking the functionality of the site.

Have you tried running a temp file cleaner like ATF-Cleaner or CCleaner to see if it helped? I ran a virus check
ATF-cleaner or CCleaner are not virus scanners, they are temporary/junk file cleanup tools. Download and use one or even both, wouldn't hurt either way.

It would be best to provide detailed info so people can give better suggestion. Info on the following should always be included for this type of an issue:

- Version of Windows plus installed service packs? Windows 7, updated
- Browser in question and its version? Mozilla Firefox
- Any add-ons that are installed and enabled? No Script --> Have you tried enabling everything for Hotmail or better yet, try temporarily disabling NoScript by doing the following. From Firefox Menu bar on top:
TOOLS > ADD-ONS > Click Disable button next to NoScript on the list.

- Is there a network/Internet Security suite or firewall installed? Yes
- Have you tried another browser to see if Hotmail worked? Yes, I went to IE and checked --> Checked and what, did it work with IE?
If yes, then definitely try both suggestions above starting with first disabling NoScript to see if it helped or not. If it helps then you can re-enable it but configure it so that it runs needed entries on the list of blocked items, OK?

If after doing the NoScript steps, you still have the same issue, then download and run one of the aforementioned temp/junk file cleaners.

Most importantly:
- When was the last time it worked properly? 3-23-12
- Did you add/delete or change anything on the system prior to this issue? No

It is just on one particular computer, mine. (I can login and use the email fine on any other computer).

It might still have something to do with a malware infection but if every other site works and more importantly the browser and the computer seems to be working OK in general then I would say that probably was not it.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Malwarebytes doesn't deal with viruses. She's already used her AV. Even if it's not something Malwarebytes will get rid of it's always a good idea to run a program like this on a regular basis as is Ccleaner.
Semantics. virus, malware, whatever. We all know the difference. The point of my post is that I don't think malwarebytes is the answer.

Whether or not someone should use it on a daily, weekly, monthly, etc. basis is not within the scope of this thread.

Quote:
Are you going to give advice about how to stop noscript from blocking this or just leave the OP hanging?
I don't use noscript. The obvious answer would be to disable it, and try it. Does it work? Yes, then add hotmail to whatever list you have to add it to to make it run scripts on their page. No? Keep on troubleshooting.

If the OP is using noscript, I assume s/he knows how to use it. If not, why is it installed?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,848,547 times
This is how you can enable site(s) blocked by NoScript on Firefox when viewing a given web site:

Method #1:
- You can right-click on a free area (meaning no links or images, that can be clicked on, should reside in that area)
- From the opening list of options, move your cursor over NoScript and then enable all sites highlighted in green or you could simplify things by selecting the option highlighted in pink:

Method #2:
- Click on the Options button at the right bottom corner of the browser window that should appear when you have sites blocked by NoScript
- Enable all sites highlighted in green or you could simplify things by selecting the option highlighted in pink:

Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Semantics. virus, malware, whatever. We all know the difference. The point of my post is that I don't think malwarebytes is the answer.

Whether or not someone should use it on a daily, weekly, monthly, etc. basis is not within the scope of this thread.

I don't use noscript. The obvious answer would be to disable it, and try it. Does it work? Yes, then add hotmail to whatever list you have to add it to to make it run scripts on their page. No? Keep on troubleshooting.

If the OP is using noscript, I assume s/he knows how to use it. If not, why is it installed?
Silly statement. Just because you think it's noscript doesn't mean advising a user to run those programs doesn't put it outside the scope of this thread. It's good advice to anyone, anytime.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Silly statement. Just because you think it's noscript doesn't mean advising a user to run those programs doesn't put it outside the scope of this thread. It's good advice to anyone, anytime.
I understand, what I'm saying is I'm not going to come into every thread and say "hey, by the way, run malwarebytes and ccleaner" - He asked why hotmail wasn't working, I said I didn't think it was a virus. That is all. I didn't say "NO!! DONT RUN MALWAREBYTES!!! OMG IT WONT FIX IT DONT RUN IT!" - What I said was I didn't think it'd do him any good with this particular issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers