Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,005 times

Advertisements

The spell check is very useful for me and I enjoy it. I've noticed for a bit now that I have to right click and select spell check or else it doesn't work.
I have gone into my settings and it is checked-off to check the spelling. It used to do it automatically all the time, but seems to have stopped for some unknown reason. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
Websites sometimes disable it automatically. As far as I know, they need to patch this problem

Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
I never had any site turned it off automatically and I don't believe it is a bug like the "Submit crash reports" option which keeps checking itself from version 7.x and up?
What version of Firefox are you using and what add-ons do you have installed please?

You were checking off the setting on: Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing Options > "Check my spelling as I type", right?

2 possibilities that comes to my mind are:
1) An installed Add-on is causing the glitch, it could be any kind of add-on but logically, it would have something to do with general browsing like a search add-on or site translator.
2) Corrupt Mozilla Firefox profile, backing up bookmarks then deleting the related folders (temporarily to Recycle Bin) or renaming the folders would be a good way to check.
On Windows 7 the following folder should be it: "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla"
On XP you have two locations: "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla" and "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla"
After you close Firefox, rename both folders to OLD_Mozilla or something like that, then relaunch Firefox, this will make Firefox behave like it is the first time it is launched on the system. Your bookmarks and other settings along with add-ons will not be there but that is the idea, check to see if spelling issue is fixed or not. If not you can always delete the newly created Mozilla folders and revert the previous changes you made to go back.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
I do not have a solution but I do have a similar *problem*.
It does check spelling as I type (red wavy underlines), so I correct them, but than certain sections, are not checked. I do find errors on my own.
Often all day long no problem, than the next day again some section of the text are not checked.
Happens only with Firefox (I have the latest version).

On another tack ... , the scrolling function of the mouse does not work for certain websites .
Once it stops working, than the only way to make it work again is restarting Firefox.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I do not have a solution but I do have a similar *problem*.
It does check spelling as I type (red wavy underlines), so I correct them, but than certain sections, are not checked. I do find errors on my own.
Often all day long no problem, than the next day again some section of the text are not checked.
Happens only with Firefox (I have the latest version).

On another tack ... , the scrolling function of the mouse does not work for certain websites .
Once it stops working, than the only way to make it work again is restarting Firefox.
Perhaps your dictionary has misspelled words in it? When you right click is the option "add to dictionary" there?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Perhaps your dictionary has misspelled words in it? When you right click is the option "add to dictionary" there?
Yes, it is there, and I *do* add words that are *in another language* ...
What I omitted to state was that the sections it does not check have simple errors in them, like *tehm* , *teh*, etc, you know the errors most often made.
I do know how to spell, but it is like my fingers can not keep up with my brain or something.

If the regular and the *special* dictionary does have misspelled words in it, any way you could correct that list ? Where is the database for this ?

I have another programme in a foreign language that has a spell check which seems to learn. As I type, it auto corrects.

The spell checker only *misbehaves* in Firefox.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
That happens to me once in a while on CD. I save my post and then edit it and the spell check usually catches them.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,005 times
I have the latest firefox (I'm on a mac btw) and the only add ons I have are Stumbleupon, download helper, and a personality (design thing), and none of that is new.
Most often I am typing something on Facebook. I never had a problem with it, and suddenly I notice that I have misspelt words and have to right click and check spelling before the red lines show up. (Is misspelt not a word? It's not in my dictionary! lol) The red lines are working fine right now, and the last time I turned on the spell check was before I made this thread. So apparently it's not every time, but just once in a while.?
(And yes, i was talking about tools>options>blah blah "Check spelling as I type" that you mentioned)

Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaMommy View Post
So apparently it's not every time, but just once in a while.?
That is just about what I experience ...
Has to be the browser function, i.o.w., Firefox is getting buggier as they go along ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers