U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 PM
 
Location: New York, NY, USA
452 posts, read 778,093 times
Reputation: 258

Advertisements

I have been hijacked by pc tools. I downloaded pro 2012, and i thought it was for free. They scanned my computer. Right af ter that, i decided to uninstall it, and could not. Then i began to get their name everywhere in the computer. I have not been able to use it since last night, because it has taken over my computer.

I used my virus scans and still cannot get it to work. Any suggestions? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Reputation: 7645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I have been hijacked by pc tools. I downloaded pro 2012, and i thought it was for free. They scanned my computer. Right af ter that, i decided to uninstall it, and could not. Then i began to get their name everywhere in the computer. I have not been able to use it since last night, because it has taken over my computer.

I used my virus scans and still cannot get it to work. Any suggestions? Thank you,
What virus scanner are you using? What do you mean "get their name everywhere in the computer"? Where did you download this program?

Please take a look at this:

Delete PC Cleaner Pro 2012 fake tool (http://www.spywarevoid.com/remove-pc-cleaner-pro-2012-scam.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM
 
Location: New York, NY, USA
452 posts, read 778,093 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What virus scanner are you using? What do you mean "get their name everywhere in the computer"? Where did you download this program?

Please take a look at this:

Delete PC Cleaner Pro 2012 fake tool (http://www.spywarevoid.com/remove-pc-cleaner-pro-2012-scam.html - broken link)

I am using Superspyware, which I love, Malwarebytes', and Microsoft Essentials.

What you placed here does look very similar to what I had, except that I had another window at the bottom right, which would not allow me to scroll up or down. And then someone will speak to me about the advantages of having PC tools, over the loudspeaker. It was terrfying.

I contacted my friend and he directed me to the control panel, then I went to disk C, program files, and deleted the file for PC tools, that I was not able to do all day yesterday and today. So for now, it seems to be away. I also scanned my computer, but all I can tell you is that it held me hostage against my will. And I wasted multitude of hours trying to get rid of it.


I want to thank you so much for all your help, and from now, I will on the look-out for this one. Have a wonderful evening......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Reputation: 7645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I am using Superspyware, which I love, Malwarebytes', and Microsoft Essentials.

What you placed here does look very similar to what I had, except that I had another window at the bottom right, which would not allow me to scroll up or down. And then someone will speak to me about the advantages of having PC tools, over the loudspeaker. It was terrfying.

I contacted my friend and he directed me to the control panel, then I went to disk C, program files, and deleted the file for PC tools, that I was not able to do all day yesterday and today. So for now, it seems to be away. I also scanned my computer, but all I can tell you is that it held me hostage against my will. And I wasted multitude of hours trying to get rid of it.


I want to thank you so much for all your help, and from now, I will on the look-out for this one. Have a wonderful evening......
They should come up with a new term for what hit you, scumware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Reputation: 5589
After having seen/read multiple similar incident Miranda has encountered thus far, I began to think the Spyware developer's have a file on Miranda listed under "Top Preferred Customer".

If there was a "Malware Magnet" award, Miranda would have won it by now, hands down!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 AM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,584 posts, read 34,227,453 times
Reputation: 16847
Miranda needs to run under a limited user account that doesn't allow software installs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Reputation: 9219
Miranda was fooled by the "your computer is infected! Scan your computer now for free!"

Never ever believe these messages. The valid messages from a real antivirus program are subtle and never involve the word "free."

She opened the front door of her house to an intruder. Getting it out is tough since they usually disable the software already installed on the computer to get rid of viruses and spyware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
 
28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Reputation: 37281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I am using Superspyware, which I love, Malwarebytes', and Microsoft Essentials.
Why do you feel the need for anything else? This should do nicely to protect your computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 PM
 
1,751 posts, read 6,157,859 times
Reputation: 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Why do you feel the need for anything else? This should do nicely to protect your computer.
^^^Yes. Then, again, you have to actually have them turned on or run them occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top