U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times

Advertisements

It hasn't necessarily been determined that your power may be out of whack and causing the issue.

But to answer your question, any of the following UPS' will do the trick (if it is, indeed, a power quality issue:

Amazon.com: apc ups
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 AM

16,726 posts, read 29,327,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
The other night I must of spent 2 hours for it to work. Finally I decided to go ahead a buy another one. Frustrating.
When the modem and router stop working, before you go and buy a new one do the following: turn both the modem and router off for about a minute. Then plug-in the modem first and wait around a minute of more. Now plug the router and let it come online as usual.

Step by step instructions (how to reset a network):
http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-Home-Network

By the way, I do turn the computers off, but not the modem and router.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
How much does a good UPS cost? And how does power conditioning work/help?
I have this one:

APC AV Black J Type 1kVA Power Conditioner with Battery Backup 120V Retail

Spent about $350 on it.

With conditioning you don't have to worry about spikes/surges on the line, remember, your power company does not certify the line voltage to your house.

Think of all the times your lights briefly blinked or your microwave beeped and the clock reset or you hear your fan's pitch change slightly, that's caused by fluctuations in your power...

Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM

1,525 posts, read 2,511,399 times
All my equipment runs 24/7 - both routers, the switch and desktops. Me and the wifes desk both have UPS's as well, enough to run the equipment for about half an hour or so. Hers moreso than mine, since all the networking stuff is at my desk. I'd recommend a UPS to anyone, I've lost a PC to a power surge before, and that was with it connected to a surge protector.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,270,527 times
If modems and routers were designed to be turned off, they would have an on/off switch

Power cycling electronic devices is hard on them due to thermal cycling and the inrush currents when power is first applied.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM

471 posts, read 1,375,908 times
Our last modem+router was for SBC/Yahoo DSL and made by 2Wire and except for power outages, it was always on for six years continuously and it was still working when we switched to another provider last year & put it away in the closet. Didn't want to turn it off - to save power ya know (hey every watt counts these days) - mostly because it took nearly 5 minutes for it to fully boot up.

Computers: always turn them off at the end of the day. We have a Compaq w/Windows ME that was on for @14 hours per day for 8 years and except for a noisy power supply fan (bearings going out?) it still works perfectly. Don't like the idea of it being exposed to power surges/lightening strikes and especially, the hard drive spinning needlessly. Plus in my experience computers, especially older ones, seem to work better when shut down & rebooted regularly, I assume something to do with clearing their RAM or other systems.

FYI I own a Pioneer stereo receiver bought new in 1983, used regularly since then to 2001, used a total of @4-8 hours per day during that time, never left it turned on and it still works perfectly to this day (though one of the power supply capacitors is finally leaking a bit - but I can't complain, it's 29 years old! ).

Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 PM

1,525 posts, read 2,511,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post

Computers: always turn them off at the end of the day. We have a Compaq w/Windows ME that was on for @14 hours per day for 8 years and except for a noisy power supply fan (bearings going out?) it still works perfectly. Don't like the idea of it being exposed to power surges/lightening strikes and especially, the hard drive spinning needlessly. Plus in my experience computers, especially older ones, seem to work better when shut down & rebooted regularly, I assume something to do with clearing their RAM or other systems.
).
Not necessary. My little media server runs non stop, never had a problem with it. It'll go a month without rebooting for some update or other, but it hasn't been physically turned off in months. I've gone months without shutting my desktop down too, might reboot it once a month or so if it gets an update. Runs fine either way. Then again, even if the power goes out, they don't shut down unless the power is off for more than 10-15 minutes, which rarely happens.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 PM

11,835 posts, read 13,971,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Power cycling electronic devices is hard on them due to thermal cycling and the inrush currents when power is first applied.
This.
Most electronics that plug into a wall, when it does die, usually does so when power is first applied.
The light bulb in a lamp is the classic example. They rarely die when they are running.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,912,734 times
I leave all computers in my house on all the time. That is two desktops, a Windows Home Server, and any laptops (usually two, sometimes three). They all go into power saving modes after a good while of idling. My networking equipment is powered up 24x7.

Whoever said a surge protector draws significant electricity even if the equipment connected to it is turned off is mistaken. Unless you think a clock is a lot of electricity.

Everything electronic in my house is on a high quality surge, including my A/V equipment. My area is subject to thunderstorms. In my experience computer networking equipment is especially fragile -they rely on cheap wall power supplies.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If modems and routers were designed to be turned off, they would have an on/off switch

Same as below, if the current is regulated, this is no concern. The modem is for an always on internet connection so manufacturers figured they would be left on all the time. They do have a reset button which cycles the power, which is no different than powering the device off then back on again.
If your logic is suggesting thermal cycling is bad, then the heat that gradually builds on while the device on couldn't be that good for it either.
I have been power cycling each and every modem I had on a daily basis. First Toshiba I had was in use for over 6 years. It didn't die, it was deemed "incompatible" by Cox and replaced with a Motorola model. I used the Motorola for 2 years then passed it onto my sister, she used it another 2 years before changing to DSL. Then she gave it back to me and I have been using it almost a year, the same way.

Power cycling is bad for the electronics, yes, may be, if the power/current is crappy at that location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This.
Most electronics that plug into a wall, when it does die, usually does so when power is first applied.
The light bulb in a lamp is the classic example. They rarely die when they are running.
That is true, after all who plugs their $10 desk lamp to a $100 UPS, right?

What kills the unprotected device is the unregulated voltage that comes from the receptacle not because the device was "cold" and then it was turned on. I have seen just as many light bulbs die when they were already on.
I have also seen people plug their hair dryer or printers to the same surge protector that their PC was connected to, I was like "Really?".

If you computer died while connected to a surge protector, then either that surge protector wasn't worth a damn or what really killed the device was a brown out (voltage drop) not a surge (voltage spike).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers