U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,947,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm surprised a new TV doesn't have VGA? That is pretty much standard on most TV's bought today.

Or are they already phasing those out?
My guess is that they're phasing it out. With DisplayPort, VGA is pointless.... OP, does your TV have a DisplayPort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM

6,248 posts, read 10,281,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My guess is that they're phasing it out. With DisplayPort, VGA is pointless.... OP, does your TV have a DisplayPort?
2 new View Sonic we just got at work came with VGA and DisplayPort only!?
I was not "No DVI? WTF?" Most mainstream mobos still use either VGA or DVI so for a monitor maker to choose Display Port over DVI seemed a bit odd.

Are the new mobos coming out with Display Ports instead of DVI? I haven't shopped around for a while but we are buying newer model Dell OptiPlex and XPS systems and none comes with Display Port.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 34,889,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I was not "No DVI? WTF?" Most mainstream mobos still use either VGA or DVI so for a monitor maker to choose Display Port over DVI seemed a bit odd.

Are the new mobos coming out with Display Ports instead of DVI? I haven't shopped around for a while but we are buying newer model Dell OptiPlex and XPS systems and none comes with Display Port.
A typical consumer desktop PC today with integrated graphics will have a VGA and an HDMI output. HDMI or DP can be converted to DVI with a $4 adapter from Monoprice.

The only DP I've seen recently on PCs were some Dell Precisions with Quadro cards. I believe they had one DVI and 2 DP.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 PM

3,439 posts, read 5,303,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

I've actually seen a Samsung monitor lately that only has HDMI, and a single one at that.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM

Wow, so the trend is changing then. I personally prefer, full digital HDMI or DP over single-link DVI connections which most users end up using because that is the cable that gets included. The quality of single-link DVI, especially on 1080p vertical or higher resolutions, is simply horrible compared to a dual-link DVI or HDMI or DP.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Except for physical compatibility, there's no reason to have anything other than DisplayPort. DisplayPorts are compatible with DVI, HDMI and VGA with cheap converters.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM

10,716 posts, read 12,752,989 times
Quote:
Except for physical compatibility, there's no reason to have anything other than DisplayPort. DisplayPorts are compatible with DVI, HDMI and VGA with cheap converters.
DisplayPort was meant to complement HDMI, not replace it.
According to VESA anyway.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Complement it, really? They both handle digital video and sound so, to me, they seemed like they were competing.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
It's hard to read into what VESA meant by this. HDMI is not VESA, so it's very possible that VESA was implying it was designing for computers only.

I see very little reason to have 2 or more connector-types for the same functionality. Until Ethernet becomes popular, DisplayPort should be the standard so consumers don't have to keep shuffling cables.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 34,889,531 times
Quote:
It's hard to read into what VESA meant by this. HDMI is not VESA, so it's very possible that VESA was implying it was designing for computers only.

I see very little reason to have 2 or more connector-types for the same functionality. Until Ethernet becomes popular, DisplayPort should be the standard so consumers don't have to keep shuffling cables.
Its annoying that these standards keep changing so fast. I'm tired of buying stuff that doesn't work with something because its slightly old. Sure, today DP is an emerging standard. Tomorrow it'll be DP+, then Super DP, all mutually incompatible of course. For all of USB's issues, at least they've got forward and backward compatibility since the mid 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers