Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:04 PM

15 posts, read 42,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As you made no mention of hooking up an Xbox I don't see how it would help you, nothing but an Xbox has that connector.

What would you recommend to connect HDMI to S-video & RCA composite?
Perhaps this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370913705262?lpid=82
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 02:44 PM

15 posts, read 42,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As you made no mention of hooking up an Xbox I don't see how it would help you, nothing but an Xbox has that connector.

I got it sorted. The PC via RCA composite connected to the DirecTV and got a weak signal. Now all I need is another cable and splitter for the signal and voila.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 AM

24 posts, read 32,032 times
Yes, VGA is totally phasing out. It is a complete legacy port.

I have a few newer TV's and monitors in my house. NONE of them support VGA ports. Even DVI is on it's way out!

Even most laptops these days aren't coming with VGA - they either have Displayport, HDMI, or both.

So yes, in short, VGA is WAY old and is rapidly disappearing from everywhere. DO NOT go sell your modern television just to replace it with something that has ancient legacy ports on it!

They aren't "Already" being phased out - that port standard is over 25 years old! (1987)

Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Altho VGA is old because of sells being what they are many companies will continue to offer it on computer monitors and the like .HMDI and DVI will be around for even longer.I just purchase a new monitor for older computer and easily found VGA with no problem.I have two newer computers and monitors have HDMI;DVI and VGA supported.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 32,032 times
I was mostly trying to say that you shouldn't plan around a VGA device anymore. It would be comparable to making sure your brand new TV is compatible with the VCR. You shouldn't be making ANY new purchases that are intended to accommodate a VGA device. It is not a worthwhile investment to buy something for several hundred dollars for its VGA compatibility when you could just as easily replace the VGA laptop instead, and for less money - AND future-proof in the process. A TV with HDMI plugs works with practically every new device there is. A TV's VGA port on the other hand ONLY serves to work with your horribly dated laptop, and more often than not, when something is being sold with ports on it that are almost entirely phased out, that item is usually cheap, or a tricky way for that company to finish offloading their dated components. Its a symptom, not a feature.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,693 times
Default Converting VGA to HDMI

While visiting a major electronics store recently, I noticed a number of VGA/HDMI converter boxes returned. It would appear the major problem is a woeful lack of clear and correct instructions.
After several attempts at getting it right, here is what worked for me:

What you will need:

VGA to HDMI converter box
One HDMI cable
One 3.5 mm stereo plug to dual RCA male connector cable

Plug the VGA connector from the computer to the VGA input in the converter box.
Connect the HDMI cable from the converter box to the TV.
Plug the 3.5 stereo to the computer audio out and the two RCA male connectors to the converter box.
Go to the control panel of the computer and be sure the resolution is set for 1366x768 (if this does not work try other settings.)
Plug in the power source to the converter box
Turn on your computer and TV
You should see the computer screen on the TV set
If you have a CD or other sound producing element in your computer, you should be able to hear it on the TV

Some things to remember:

You cannot just use a VGA/HDMI cable. This will not work because it will not convert the signal from analog to digital.
You cannot connect the audio directly from your computer to the TV. It will not convert the signal from analog to digital.
When you plug the audio from your computer to the converter box, it converts the sound from analog to digital which then reaches the TV through the HDMI cable.

Good Luck! I hope this works for you.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 859 times
I paid a fortune for a Radio shack vga to hdmi converter,instructions are simple and appear to just plug in the cords and walla you have a lap top on your screen.(Not) I have done everything I no to make it work and am totally confused.Question,after the set up of the converter what do I need to do to the television or computer to try to make it receive the lap top signal?I have a dell lap top computer with a VGA 15 pin outlet and a JVC flat screen television which have the HDMI connection..I am 65 years old and do not have the tech knowledge for this.HELP!

Last edited by Refelec; 09-06-2015 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 10:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refelec View Post
I paid a fortune for a Radio shack vga to hdmi converter,instructions are simple and appear to just plug in the cords and walla you have a lap top on your screen.(Not) I have done everything I no to make it work and am totally confused.Question,after the set up of the converter what do I need to do to the television or computer to try to make it receive the lap top signal?I have a dell lap top computer with a VGA 15 pin outlet and a JVC flat screen television which have the HDMI connection..I am 65 years old and do not have the tech knowledge for this.HELP!
Which converter did you get?

Old 04-09-2016, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 666 times
Hi laptop to smart tv with vga/hdmi and usb voice all working fine, laptop crashed, had to reset to factory settings. checked all display settings/troubleshooting via laptop, all I can get with the setup now is my desktop background on tv screen???? Not sure what I'm missing with the setup now?? Thought on areas to troubleshoot?

Old 04-11-2016, 09:55 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanagram View Post
Hi laptop to smart tv with vga/hdmi and usb voice all working fine, laptop crashed, had to reset to factory settings. checked all display settings/troubleshooting via laptop, all I can get with the setup now is my desktop background on tv screen???? Not sure what I'm missing with the setup now?? Thought on areas to troubleshoot?
Way to revive an old thread!

All kidding aside, did you install the video card drivers or did you let Windows Update install the drivers (oh lord!)?

If you can see your desktop on the TV, that means you establish the physical connection between the laptop and the TV, in other words, hardware portion checks out, I'd focus on a software related issue such as missing/wrong video card drivers, resolution related settings, etc.

Are you seeing a duplicate of your desktop or more of an extension of it? What application were you trying to get to work on the TV screen, not sure if I missed something but share more details please.

PS. That VGA cable looks gnarly! I'd suggest replacing it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers