U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 258,026 times
Default How do I run VGA to HDMI?

Hey there guys, I've lurked here a few times and had some answers fulfilled, but this time I have something I can't find, or haven't dug deep enough. VGA to HDMI. I bought a new 32" TV, and I have my old laptop here, and was hoping to plug it up so I could watch movies from my laptop on the tv.

I went and bought a VGA(m) to DVI(f) adapter, and a DVI(m) to HDMI(f) adapter. After that, I went and bought a HDMI cord. This set up was about $7, cause I bought the adapters and the cord online.

I wanted to get a VGA to HDMI, but I needed the HDMI cord anyways, so I went that route. After plugging everything up, nothing happened. And I have no clue why, either.

Should I go on ahead and try buying a VGA to HDMI cord, or is there something I'm doing wrong here? I'm running Windows Vista, and have a L355 Toshiba Satellite. The tv in question is a Sanyo 32".

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,905,946 times
VGA is analog. HDMI is digital. Two separate things. Not going to work with a simple cord and adapter. Does the TV have a VGA input? That and a simple 3.5mm audio patch cord will get audio and video from the laptop to the TV.

They do make VGA to HDMI converters but they need power and you'll still need cables. See: Amazon.com: VGA and Audio to HDMI Converter: Electronics I have no idea about the quality though as I've never use one. You'll also still need to handle the audio separately as your VGA output has no audio component.

There's also USB video "cards" such as this that can output HDMI. Amazon.com: Plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 2048x1152 / 1920x1200 Each (DisplayLink DL-195 Chipset): Computers & Accessories

Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Hey EscapeCalifornia,

Sadly, the TV does not have VGA, and this old laptop doesn't have HDMI, putting me at a stand still. That $30 contraption there looks like it's too much hassle, as does the other one.

I'm getting a tower computer soon, and it will have what I need, I was just hoping there was a way to use my laptop till then.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,905,946 times
Read their notes on the eBay cable. It won't work. You laptop's VGA port is sending out an analog signal. You TV expects a digital signal through the HDMI port. No $3 cable is going to convert one to the other.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM

19,618 posts, read 13,709,132 times
You can do it, but you need something like this: Aluratek VGA to HDMI Converter Adapter, VGA to HDMI 1080p Adapter, VGA to HDMI Video Converter

Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Read their notes on the eBay cable. It won't work. You laptop's VGA port is sending out an analog signal. You TV expects a digital signal through the HDMI port. No $3 cable is going to convert one to the other.
I did, and then edited my post :P. Thank you.

Quote:
You can do it, but you need something like this: Aluratek VGA to HDMI Converter Adapter, VGA to HDMI 1080p Adapter, VGA to HDMI Video Converter
Yea, by the time I can afford that, I'll be able to afford the tower computer I wanted. Thank you, though.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM

5,130 posts, read 5,581,296 times
What the two other guys mentioned is correct, (either single link or dual-link) DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort connection are all digital.

You are stuck with using some sort of an adapter, more expensive yet preferred type will upscale your VGA analog signal to digital using something like what NJBest shared.

A simple adapter from VGA to HDMI doesn't exist to my best knowledge but even if it did, you would basically be using your new, high tech monitor like a large, old school VGA monitor, it makes no sense.

Here is a cheaper device that might suit your budget a bit better but still, you might be better off saving your money and upgrading your laptop.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM

16,311 posts, read 13,129,651 times
What exactly are you trying to watch? Using the laptop to stream NetFlix or similar, or are these videos just files on your laptop.

Is your TV a smart TV (network capable) should be able to stream either files from your laptop or NetFlix (and many other internet sources)

Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 PM

10,119 posts, read 7,424,384 times
Well you could return the 32" TV that doesn't have a VGA port and buy a Sceptre 32" for under $200 from Walmart.com that does.

Sceptre X322BV-HD 32" Class LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV - Walmart.com

Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 AM

5,444 posts, read 5,192,891 times
I'm surprised a new TV doesn't have VGA? That is pretty much standard on most TV's bought today.

Or are they already phasing those out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers