Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

I like the Dell Centrino- need something light to carry on a plane- what does everyone prefer?

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Apple. MacBook or MacBook Pro . Excellent machines.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
Personally I'm using the Sony Vaio AR right now. I think it's the best laptop I've ever had. A lot of guys at work like the iBooks, but I never got used to using the Mac OS, so I can't stop to learn it now. As for traveling...usually I'm surrounded by people with IBM(lenovo) Thinkpads in FC whenever I fly, but Powerbooks are a close second. The Thinkpads are, from what I hear, really durable, and at about $1,500, they look like a good buy.

I personally like the Vaio because I rarely use my personal PC for much more than mundane Microsoft Office Apps, and mainly watching DVDs during long flights. It's got a huuge screen, and runs very smoothly. Downside is, over the past 2 months, I've ended up purchasing 2 extra batterys which rap you $250 a peice, and it adds up to only 5 hours run time when watching a DVD, and about 8 when using the Internet.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
Personally I'm using the Sony Vaio AR right now. I think it's the best laptop I've ever had. A lot of guys at work like the iBooks, but I never got used to using the Mac OS, so I can't stop to learn it now. As for traveling...usually I'm surrounded by people with IBM(lenovo) Thinkpads in FC whenever I fly, but Powerbooks are a close second. The Thinkpads are, from what I hear, really durable, and at about $1,500, they look like a good buy.

I personally like the Vaio because I rarely use my personal PC for much more than mundane Microsoft Office Apps, and mainly watching DVDs during long flights. It's got a huuge screen, and runs very smoothly. Downside is, over the past 2 months, I've ended up purchasing 2 extra batterys which rap you $250 a peice, and it adds up to only 5 hours run time when watching a DVD, and about 8 when using the Internet.
thanks- how much is the Vaio??- is it easy to use on 8-10 hr flights? (I hate chargers/battery probs)

sunny

Old 09-07-2007, 01:02 AM

510 posts, read 3,200,718 times
My last choices would be an HP or Compaq

If you're not super computer literate, or completely used to Windows, a Mac is truly the best machine on the market. I still use the PC Windows based machines, but it's just because I'm so familiar with them.

Sony is a great machine, but they tend to be the most expensive

Toshiba and Dell are the two brands I recommend to people, and I seem to have a ton of people call for computer help.

Once you get below the 15" screen machines the prices of course will start to increase quickly. Do you need a high powered machine? Or are you just going to run office apps on it? If it's the latter, Dell recently had a screaming deal (Around $500) for a laptop that had fairly good specs.

If you're looking for more than 5 hours of use be sure and buy the upgraded battery (Generally can only do this through Dell as they let you upgrade), and buy the additional battery. Batteries will run you around $100 a pop, but if you need to get 8-10 hours it's really your only choice. Unless of course you can plug in on your 30-60 min layovers.

Maybe if you can mention a few of the most important attributes, we can recommend a machine, not just the brand...

Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
This is true. Sony does an incredible job marketing their systems, and they have a deep enough roster of operations elsewhere in the industry to offer the Vaio at a very uncompetitive price. My company subsidized mine, but I think the tab was about $1,800. The extra two batteries obviously served no work-related purpose, so I just decided to get them on my own. There is a model in the same series I have that offers Blu-Ray compatability/features, but it's something like an extra $1,000. I think the SZ series Vaio is a little cheaper..like, $1,500, but has, generally speaking, the same specs. I just wanted a little bigger screen.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I like the Dell Centrino- need something light to carry on a plane- what does everyone prefer?

sunny
I wish you were more specific, since there are many light laptops available. There are portable, and there are ultra-portable. With the latter, an optical drive is usually not included to keep the weight down. Generally the smaller and lighter the laptops, the more expensive they are. For use on a plane, I would go with a 13'' or smaller screen. Here are three top-rated light laptops at pcmag.com. They are made by IBM, Sony and Dell. You can't go wrong with these models. IBM laptops have legendary reliability. Sony makes elegant and innovative laptops. Dell is the price champ who packs the latest technology into its products.

Lightning-Fast Surfing, To Go - Lenovo ThinkPad X60 (Vista) - Review by PC Magazine

Sony VAIO VGN-SZ370P - Review by PC Magazine

Dell XPS M1330 - Review by PC Magazine

Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 11,950 times
I have a Sager NP2090. I'm very happy with it. In fact the only Windows laptop builders I would consider other than Sager are Lenovo(Thinkpad) and Maingear(unfortunately way overpriced).

Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 AM

341 posts, read 1,673,192 times
Would you recommend any of these computers - for gaming also?
My son needs a new computer and I would like to get him a laptop - but he is so into gaming and not sure what to get him

Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
Would you recommend any of these computers - for gaming also?
My son needs a new computer and I would like to get him a laptop - but he is so into gaming and not sure what to get him
Game playing requires a dedicated/discrete graphic card. Generally, small and light laptops don't have discrete video cards. Of the laptops I posted above, the Sony and Dell have discrete video cards. In short, you need a laptop with a dedicated video card with 256 MB of memory and a fast processor to play the latest games. Keep in mind that battery life will suffer because a dedicated graphic card consumes more power than an integrated one. This is one reason why most small and light laptops don't have dedicated video cards. Another reason is that discrete video cards take a lot of space. Thus, they are usually found in bigger laptops. Now the Sony laptop probably won't be able to play the latest graphic-intensive games well because it has an older graphic card. The Dell laptop, on the hand, will be able to handle newer games because it has a newer video card. Basically, for gaming, look for a laptop with the latest video card with at least 256 MB of memory, a big hard drive, a fast processor and a high-resolution display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers