Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times

Advertisements

I have a Compaq Presario model 5102US that has problems with freezing up. It will do this anytime the PC is on....even if the screen saver is showing on the screen.

It will eventually unfreeze and continue, only to freeze up again. It will even do this if I close out of all of the windows.

I would like to stop it from freezing up but I don't know where to start. One person seems to think maybe the memory has too much on it and it needs updated to a bigger one. How can I check for this?

Also should I run some kind of spyware remover or virus tool? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,075 times
I used to have a compaq. Back then I didn't buy antivirus I only downloaded the free one's online and used my ISP antivirus (cable co.) They did not protect at all as I eventually found out.

Then I found out that I had to do updates frequently even when I had automatic updates it's still important to go into your updates and download them. The automatic updates only do the critical updates. When I couldn't see any videos on Youtube I found out, after going nearly insane trying to figure it out, that I didn't do an update that wasn't considered critical and that was what got my video's on youtube back.

If I were you I would purchase a good antivirus with a full year of service so you don't have to worry about it and always do your own scans inbetween the regular scheduled scans and updates. Do an update now don't wait just to get started. If that doesn't work then I'm sorry that's the best I can do for now. I'm still learning myself here. I hope I helped you in some way.

Edit: Almost forgot. click on start; go into programs and look up "updates"
Also if you are talking about your computer clicking out of being online
all by itself I suggest you change your bernation/sleep timers. Because when I would watch videos on the internet they would all of a sudden freeze, pause, while the sound was still one and always right in the middle of really getting into the movie, bummer. I changed the hibernation/sleep times and that problem went away. ok I can't think of anything else that could help you.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
How long does the "freeze" last?

Is the disk activity light on when it "freezes"? If it is, is it flickering or on solid?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM

The freeze usually lasts 3-4 minutes. There's no lights on at all when it freezes.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:19 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
What's on the screen when it freezes?

What OS are you running?

Anti virus? Which one?

#5 needs more input!!

Edit: Have you checked to see how full the hard drive is? Go to My Computer and right click on drive C:

Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
When is the last time you pulled the side of the case off and blew the dust out? When friends and family start talking about their computer freezing, that's usually the first thing I do. Usually, it solves the problem.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What's on the screen when it freezes?

What OS are you running?

Anti virus? Which one?

#5 needs more input!!

Edit: Have you checked to see how full the hard drive is? Go to My Computer and right click on drive C:
Anything can be on the screen....it can be a screensaver or a webpage.

What's OS stand for?

I'll have to check for anti virus.

The hard drive only shows 6.98 GB out of 31.3 GB are used.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I have a Compaq Presario model 5102US that has problems with freezing up. It will do this anytime the PC is on....even if the screen saver is showing on the screen.

It will eventually unfreeze and continue, only to freeze up again. It will even do this if I close out of all of the windows.

I would like to stop it from freezing up but I don't know where to start. One person seems to think maybe the memory has too much on it and it needs updated to a bigger one. How can I check for this?

Also should I run some kind of spyware remover or virus tool? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance.
Judging from the thread, I am guessing you are not highly computer literate. Therefore, rather than trying to walk you through a bunch of procedure, I suggest that you find a good, competent computer tech who will fix your box for you.

Getting personal recommendations is the best way to find someone. Many "repair" places that you will find in the yellow pages simply want to sell you a new computer and will tell you that yours is toast. Find someone who fixes them and does not sell them and you should be able to get it back up and running in no time.

Good luck.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 04-15-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,932 times
Ok, lets start at the beginning here.

I don't know if any of you took the time to look up what type of PC this is, but it came stock with 128mb of 100mhz (!!!) RAM (and can only be upgraded to 768), 40gb HDD and a 1ghz athlon processor. My phone is faster than this computer.

This is not a virus issue. Do not go out and buy an A/V, it won't help and will probably make it worse.

I'm going directly to RAM and processing power. Your computer is OOOOLLLDDDD. If you're trying to run any type of modern software on it, you are going to have issues.

I assume you have a lot of background things running that don't need to be running.

Download ccleaner and install it. Go to the "startup area" and tell us what is listed in the startup.

OS means operating system. Windows XP, Vista, 7...etc. Although as old as that thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 98SE, 2000 or ME.

OP, you need to take into consideration the sheer age of the PC. It might be time to chuck it (not might, it IS time to chuck it). Even if you were to fully upgrade your memory, add a bigger hard drive (which won't do anything), and even replace the processor for the best one you can find for that motherboard, it will STILL not even come close to modern computing.

Not trying to be harsh, just telling you what you need to know.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I don't know if any of you took the time to look up what type of PC this is, but it came stock with 128mb of 100mhz (!!!) RAM (and can only be upgraded to 768), 40gb HDD and a 1ghz athlon processor. My phone is faster than this computer.
This is true, however when I went to "system properties", it says that it has 248 mb of ram.

Quote:
I'm going directly to RAM and processing power. Your computer is OOOOLLLDDDD. If you're trying to run any type of modern software on it, you are going to have issues.

I assume you have a lot of background things running that don't need to be running.

Download ccleaner and install it. Go to the "startup area" and tell us what is listed in the startup.
I have ccleaner and ran it. It didn't remove much.

When I went to start up, only 3 programs came up: HP digital imagining monitor, HP image zone fast start, and Microsoft office.

Quote:
OS means operating system. Windows XP, Vista, 7...etc. Although as old as that thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 98SE, 2000 or ME.
Thanks. When I ran systems properties, it said it had Windows XP version 2002 installed on it.

Quote:
OP, you need to take into consideration the sheer age of the PC. It might be time to chuck it (not might, it IS time to chuck it). Even if you were to fully upgrade your memory, add a bigger hard drive (which won't do anything), and even replace the processor for the best one you can find for that motherboard, it will STILL not even come close to modern computing.
I appreciate it. Truth is I want to get rid of this PC but I wanted to clean it up first, and ensure it doesn't have anything on it. I also considered giving it to my daughter just to play around with microsoft word, but not if it keeps freezing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers