Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times

Advertisements

So I basically hate every photo app I've had to use.
That they have varying levels of super wow capability is meaningless to me.
I only want simple organization ability and limited editing (mostly cropping and size reduction).

I'm now using Picasa and have come to hate it as well...
because like all these others it seems to bury the basic stuff four levels down.
What's with that? Maybe make a "Picasa Lite"?
---

It's a simple thing that I want to do: "organize my photo's"
To me that means drag and drop an image into the folder where I want it...
(and leave NOTHING behind where it used to be).

Within the so called "help" section they have a heading called "Sorting Photo's".
You might think that meant it had instruction on how to sort photo's. You would be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by google
You can sort both the order of folders and albums in your Picasa folder list,
as well as the way your photos are sorted within a folder or album.
Did I ask about sorting the folders or albums? Nope; I sure didn't.
If anything.... I want to undo the folders and albums Picasa created.
---

So here's the Q: How can I move existing photo's to new folders?
And ideally not doing it picture at a time...
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,646,557 times
I'd say get rid of the photo editing / viewing software, and just use Windows Explorer. Most photo management apps try provide a way to view the pics, without messing with the underlying storage.

You can start multiple copies of Windows Explorer by using the Win+E key, or selecting it from the start menu (Usually under the Accessories menu).

You can then create sub folders with whatever name you want in the My Pictures / Pictures folder, and drag the pictures between the different folders.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'd say get rid of the photo editing / viewing software, and just use Windows Explorer.
Maybe I should have mentioned I'm on a Mac... not windows.

The reason for the editing/viewing software is the ability to crop and reduce file sizes.
Preview doesn't allow that and iPhoto is even less intuitive to use than Picasa.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,646,557 times
Sorry, should have asked that first, but surely the MAC file management tool is a better option for creating and organizing the folders first, and then you can select an editor based on it's ability to edit rather than also organize the folders.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,093,243 times
On my computers (Windows) I always use native file management tools (Windows Explorer) to move pictures from the memory cards to the computer. This is all normal stuff - just select one, all, or multiple photo files and drag them to the folder I want.

I use Photoshop Elements to organize and tag photos. My wife tends to use Picasa to edit photos. But I find that most photo management software is clunky actually managing the files.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I use Photoshop Elements to organize and tag photos. My wife tends to use Picasa to edit photos. But I find that most photo management software is clunky actually managing the files.
Agreed. I've been using Photoshop Elements since it started as Photoshop Album. I love what it does for the most part, but I hate it's inability to easily manage file locations. (But as you know, you can't manage photo file locations outside of Photoshop without screwing up your library.)

Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,093,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Agreed. I've been using Photoshop Elements since it started as Photoshop Album. I love what it does for the most part, but I hate it's inability to easily manage file locations. (But as you know, you can't manage photo file locations outside of Photoshop without screwing up your library.)
I copy the photos first - then import into the library. Import doesn't actually move anything of course.

And occasionally I have to use "reconcile file locations" if something was moved. Elements is pretty good at identifying the matches.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe I should have mentioned I'm on a Mac... not windows.

The reason for the editing/viewing software is the ability to crop and reduce file sizes.
Preview doesn't allow that and iPhoto is even less intuitive to use than Picasa.
You can crop/reduce photo size in Preview (under tools).... not sure if that's all you need though. So... I guess you can use finder to sort/organize, and then use preview to do the light editing? Otherwise, another tool for light editing may also work in lieu of Preview (and still use Finder for organization).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers