Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

DeVeDe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes necessarily. The videos on youtube are copyrighted by whoever created them. If the person who has created them hasn't specifically licensed them to be copied then you're breaking the law if you make a copy. If you do not know the terms of how they are licensed you need to assume there is no provision to copy them.

As far as copyright law is concerned it doesn't matter, you can be sued by the copyright owner in civil court. If you're generating revenue or causing significant monetary damages like freely distributing copyrighted material on a large scale you've moved from the civil realm to the criminal realm.

Having said that the chances of ever ending up in court for ripping some videos from youtube is about none.
I understand copyright law well. I'm not generating any revenue. I'm causing no monetary damage. I'm not distributing copyrighted material. There are no damages to for the basis of a lawsuit. All I want to do is get a copy of video material onto DVD format for my own use. It's no different that the old days of using a VCR to time shift a TV program.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I understand copyright law well. I'm not generating any revenue. I'm causing no monetary damage. I'm not distributing copyrighted material. There are no damages to for the basis of a lawsuit. All I want to do is get a copy of video material onto DVD format for my own use. It's no different that the old days of using a VCR to time shift a TV program.
The difference is that the scumbag music and movie industry went to Washington and got laws passed that make such an act punishable by huge fines even when there's no economic harm to them.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I understand copyright law well. I'm not generating any revenue. I'm causing no monetary damage. I'm not distributing copyrighted material.
Doesn't matter, these things are only considered for whether it's a civil matter or criminal matter and what damages the copyright owner might receive. The copyright owner gets to dictate how their material is distributed and or if copies can be made. If you make a copy outside of what they allow your infringing on the copyright. There is some very limited ways you can use other peoples material under fair use without their permission.

Quote:
It's no different that the old days of using a VCR to time shift a TV program.
The time shifting decision covers just that, time shifting. It allows you to record a TV program for later viewing, it doesn't cover building a library of material.

Quote:
FindLaw | Cases and Codes

JUSTICE STEVENS delivered the opinion of the Court
An explanation of our rejection of respondents' unprecedented attempt to impose copyright liability upon the distributors of copying equipment requires a quite detailed recitation of the findings of the District Court. In summary, those findings reveal that the average member of the public uses a VTR principally to record a program he cannot view as it is being televised and then to watch it once at a later time. This practice, known as "time-shifting," enlarges the television viewing audience. For that reason, a significant amount of television programming may be used in this manner without objection from the owners of the copyrights on the programs....
That's besides the fact the main target of this lawsuit was the sale of VCR's themselves when there is obviously other uses for them.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The difference is that the scumbag music and movie industry went to Washington and got laws passed that make such an act punishable by huge fines even when there's no economic harm to them.
There is no fines unless there is criminal act, the type of copying being discussed here is civil offense and they would have to take you to civil court. Any of these lawsuits you have seen involving torrents or whatever were all civil lawsuits to the best of my knowledge and if anyone has been fined or jailed it was because of the distribution side of it.

Quote:
U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law: Chapter 5

(a) Criminal Infringement. —
(1) In general. — Any person who willfully infringes a copyright shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, if the infringement was committed —
(A) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain;
(B) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000; or
(C) by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution, by making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work was intended for commercial distribution.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
OK, call me stupid, which I'll be the first to admit I am when it comes to tech things. I'm one of those unfortunate people who has to be shown how to do something before it soaks in.

I downloaded YouTube downloader awhile back, and figured out how to get the videos on the downloader, but where I am running into trouble is the conversion. I converted to MP3, but only got audio. I have no clue what all those choices are. Which one do I choose when converting to get an actual video?

Call me stupid. I'm used to it. Help, please?????

Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
OK, call me stupid, which I'll be the first to admit I am when it comes to tech things. I'm one of those unfortunate people who has to be shown how to do something before it soaks in.

I downloaded YouTube downloader awhile back, and figured out how to get the videos on the downloader, but where I am running into trouble is the conversion. I converted to MP3, but only got audio. I have no clue what all those choices are. Which one do I choose when converting to get an actual video?

Call me stupid. I'm used to it. Help, please?????
mp3 IS an audio format. Try one that is a video format, like avi or mp4.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM

s mentioned that is audio only but it can be used as ormat for the audio track on video.

Quote:
To clarify AVI is not a format either, it's a container file or just a generic extension for video. It can contain many types of video like DV, Huffy, Divx or even the common standalone ones like MPG. The uses, file sizes and other attributes for each of those formats is vastly different and they could all be .AVI

Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Thanks, Mr. Mensa. I'll look for mp4 on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers