U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 PM

2,617 posts, read 1,676,741 times
It's also pointless buying him a mac unless his degree is in a design field (pretty much all design fields these days), photography, music or film production. Apple is industry standard in these areas. Bear in mind however that you get what you pay for - a cheap laptop will most likely be unreliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 PM

12,622 posts, read 12,805,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
It's also pointless buying him a mac unless his degree is in a design field (pretty much all design fields these days), photography, music or film production. Apple is industry standard in these areas. Bear in mind however that you get what you pay for - a cheap laptop will most likely be unreliable.
Somewhat true. But the OP already mentioned what the young man is going to be using a laptop for, and that it seems that most other students at the school use Macs. It means that any laptop (PC or Mac) would be fine. I do agree with you in that going the cheap way may not be the best way in the long run. Regardless, if I were the OP I would buy a good quality laptop.

I have both PC and Mac laptops, and most of the maintenance time, including antivirus, trojan, and the rest, is on the PC laptops.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 PM

12,622 posts, read 12,805,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
ALWAYS...

And if he doesn't like it, he can work a job to chip in the extra he needs.

Kids need to pull their collective heads out of their arses and realize their parents are "helping them", not giving them a pass to resort living.
I would say, "perhaps" instead of "always" for the following reasons, and after having four kids (now adults and independent):

a. While some of us help our kids financially (school), a great number of them also work hard to earn extra cash. I have a crew of 12 students working with me at school each summer. Maybe half of them are being helped by their parents and other relatives, but still work for extra cash.

b. If I am going to give one of my kids a laptop, as mentioned by the OP, I would at least ask my kid if he or she has a preference, and try to make those wishes come true to a point; the kid himself (or herself) may be able to pitch-in and go the rest of the way. The reason why I would do this is because there is a better chance that my kid would use his or her choice of computer to the fullest.

c. Thru the years I figured that it was cheaper for me to give my kids a good quality gift at least once every few years, instead of going cheap once or twice per year (Christmas, and birthdays). I also found this to be true with a lot of the gifs for myself. For example, buying several cheap fishing poles and reels (just an example), instead of spending some of this cash in a good fishing pole/reel combo.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,936,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have both PC and Mac laptops, and most of the maintenance time, including antivirus, trojan, and the rest, is on the PC laptops.
You're doing something wrong if you spend time doing that on a PC.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 PM

1,034 posts, read 996,845 times
For what the OP described as her sons needs there is no reason he needs an expensive Mac or and expensive PC for that matter. PC do have more virus issues but with a little (free) reading online about how to protect your computer he should be able to get through school just fine on a $400-500 PC. As others have suggested get office suite from the campus store that should be the cheapest way to get it, unless you already own the software.

I'm using a $400 PC I purchased over 3 years ago, that works just fine. It's plenty fast enough. There isn't a noticeable difference in speed when using Word or browsing between this and my brand new $900 laptop work bought me (though I do more on it, so there is a reason for the extra money). I've had one major issue with it in that time, that I was able to solve myself with an online guide. I believe I bought it at microcenter. As a generally rule, the cheaper the laptop the more pre-loaded crap there will be on it, but you can (and should) remove all that junk.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,936,556 times
If you're really concerned about malware, password protect the administrator account and only let your son log on as a limited user. Sure, he can get around it if he really wants to, but then he can deal with the consequences if he screws it up.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM

116 posts, read 96,133 times
I would suggest a laptop with this hardware configuration -

2nd Generation Intel Core i3 or Core i5 CPU
comes with Intel HD graphics
15.6" display
4GB RAM
500GB hard drive
Intel wifi
Webcam
Windows 7 x64 SP1 - no Macs!

Intel i3 - i3 PC Laptops - BestBuy
Intel i5 - i5 PC Laptops - BestBuy

Free Microsoft MSE will be fine for virus protection.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 714 times
In my case I would prefer a laptop that has:
Intel i7 processor
8Gb RAM
NVIDIA graphics

This would be an excellent laptop good for gaming and 3D effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers