Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 8,725 times

Advertisements

i did exactly the same thing just now.... well go on to start........control panel......click on to accessibility options.....click on to display and untick the "use high contrast" box and voula it shud be aite afta dat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,263 times
i right clicked on desktop>arrenge icons by> and uncjecked lock web items on desktop, and it has fixed my problem, thanx

Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,220 times
neither of those fixed it i have same problem

Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,509 times
I had same thing happen. Right click on desktop, go to arrange icons by, click lock web items. That fixed it for me. Then I unchecked lock items and it still was fixed.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 AM

2 posts, read 13,249 times
Well I had the same problem .. But the solution was something else ..

None of the lock web items was checked.
The drop shadow option did not work

but when i followed the path ... desktop - properties - desktop tab - customize desktop ( at the bottom ) - web tab ( at the top)

I unchecked an checkbox in the center under webpages which had some link .. U could also clear out all the entries there .. That worked for me .. Hope this helps

Old 07-21-2010, 11:51 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBumm View Post
Well I had the same problem .. But the solution was something else ..

None of the lock web items was checked.
The drop shadow option did not work

but when i followed the path ... desktop - properties - desktop tab - customize desktop ( at the bottom ) - web tab ( at the top)

I unchecked an checkbox in the center under webpages which had some link .. U could also clear out all the entries there .. That worked for me .. Hope this helps
I am guessing you either installed a related program that tweaked the settings or quite common cause: you were hit by an Adware or some other malicious software.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 13,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am guessing you either installed a related program that tweaked the settings or quite common cause: you were hit by an Adware or some other malicious software.
I tried to install something and thas when it caused the highlight to happen .. So i am guessing the adware is the root cause

U hit the nail on the head

Old 08-04-2010, 07:30 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBumm View Post
I tried to install something and thas when it caused the highlight to happen .. So i am guessing the adware is the root cause

U hit the nail on the head
Could be but don't jump to conclusion unless you have other symptoms that backs up that theory.

Sometimes, badly written code in an application (mostly during the installation or running the app) can have malware-like behavior, meaning system could have weird reaction to normal actions such as the issue mentioned above.

That is why it is recommended that you do not have any other application up and running when installing an application of any kind.

How you can tell if it was a one-time glitch or not is you reboot (restart) your PC and see if the problem still existed after rebooting the PC or not.
If it continues to occur then I'd suspect something mischievous running in the background.
Fire up Autoruns to see if you can spot an unusual entry at any of the startup locations. If not, then fire up Process Explorer and take a closer and deeper look at your background processes and services that regular Windows Task Manager could never show.

Analyze your system for the problem before jumping the guns and taking hasty action is what I always recommend to people when dealing with software and system problems.

Knowing what you are dealing with is the key to a successful and complete resolution
!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,362 times
[url=http://forum.soft32.com/win4/Desktop-icons-shaded-ftopict209956.html]Desktop icons always shaded[/url] ............. Check for this site. it surely helps

Old 12-03-2010, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,120 times
I got mine... turns out I had right clicked a photo online and tried to paste it to my desktop, I was prompted to save it elsewhere which I did, but I ALSO selected to make it available on the desktop, which resulted in the problem. When I went into desktop properties > customize desktop > web, there was the file checked... when I unchecked it, my icons were no longer highlighted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers