U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:59 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,294,545 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else who is running Windows Vista been having problems with plugins?
And also with Administration issues with Vista?

In another thread in this forum titled
"IE or Mozilla Firefox.. which do you prefer?" ... http://www.city-data.com/forum/techn...ou-prefer.html

I posted about issues I have been having with FF in that thread. *see pages 8 & 9*
Mainly when it comes to additional plugins which are required. I am not able to install them.
Now I am thinking that FF is not the issue but Vista is!

It has been brought to my attention that it could be an Administration issue that's
not allowing me to install the additional plugins and such.
Each time I would attempt the install I was having a prompt pop up indicating that I am not
the Administrator and I could not continue.

After some searching I have found many complaints about the administration issue.
All I did was put in a search with Google "Vista Administration Issues"..and page after page popped up.

Anyone have a positive or negative opinion of the info contained in the link below about admin issues with Vista?...there is a fix for the admin issue... is it a reliable source of info? Or what other options do I have?

PC World - The Most Annoying Things About Windows Vista (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129126-page,4-c,vistalonghorn/article.html - broken link)

The Google search w/info: vista administration issues - Google Search

Last edited by citybythebay; 09-20-2007 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 06:22 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,215,393 times
I've been using Vista since it came out (Feb) and I haven't had any major issues. I've had some updates to install but that's about it. I'm no expert but by now I know my way around it pretty well. First thing I would say to those who are having issues is to check the memory on your computer. Vista takes alot of memory so that may be an issue. ALSO just a note: that article is pretty old- they're referring to the VERY early issues that Vista had but by now, most have been resolved.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:48 PM

The article came out in Feb 2007. That's considered an "old" article???

And I just had my PC revamped...the memory I have is way more than enough for everything that I have.
So the memory is not the issue, at least with me.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:58 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,679 times
Here are a couple of sites that might help you with Vista:
Windows Vista Activity Center (http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/ - broken link)
Welcome to The Elder Geek on Windows Vista (http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/ - broken link)
Windows Vista - Tech Support Guy Forums

They might have info that helps. Liz

Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,215,393 times
Yes, in computer terms that's old. Updates are available on a daily basis (not just for vista but in general as you know). Since I've had it, I really couldnt list all of the automatic and suggested updates that have come out for it. If they couldn't resolve any of those issues in 8 months, then that would really be a problem.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:16 PM

56,597 posts, read 75,685,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Has anyone else who is running Windows Vista been having problems with plugins?
And also with Administration issues with Vista?

In another thread in this forum titled
"IE or Mozilla Firefox.. which do you prefer?" ... http://www.city-data.com/forum/techn...ou-prefer.html

I posted about issues I have been having with FF in that thread. *see pages 8 & 9*
Mainly when it comes to additional plugins which are required. I am not able to install them.
Now I am thinking that FF is not the issue but Vista is!

It has been brought to my attention that it could be an Administration issue that's
not allowing me to install the additional plugins and such.
Each time I would attempt the install I was having a prompt pop up indicating that I am not
the Administrator and I could not continue.

After some searching I have found many complaints about the administration issue.
All I did was put in a search with Google "Vista Administration Issues"..and page after page popped up.

Anyone have a positive or negative opinion of the info contained in the link below about admin issues with Vista?...there is a fix for the admin issue... is it a reliable source of info? Or what other options do I have?

PC World - The Most Annoying Things About Windows Vista (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129126-page,4-c,vistalonghorn/article.html - broken link)

The Google search w/info: vista administration issues - Google Search
a nightmare.
took back the first computer i got with vista and demanded a refund.
i got it, less 100 bucks for the vista.
then i tried to run vista on my new vostro 200 dell.
froze up. locked up all my software told i gota get some sort of authorization/patch for each program to run it. give me a break. took a computer guru on the phone with microsoft for over an hour to disconnect vista from my system and reboot xp.
never again. finally sold my vista on ebay for 50 bucks 1/2 of what i paid.
a few more like that and bill gates is going to be washing cars.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Here are a couple of sites that might help you with Vista:
Windows Vista Activity Center (http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/ - broken link)
Welcome to The Elder Geek on Windows Vista (http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/ - broken link)
Windows Vista - Tech Support Guy Forums

They might have info that helps. Liz

Wealth of info that I was looking for right there!...thank you!!

**I am also pretty much convinced that it was not FF that was giving me the problem---it's been Vista all along**

Old 09-21-2007, 09:54 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,556,765 times
Did you get it sorted cbtb ?

BTW: Id like to point out that vista has NO issues, just FEATURES

Old 09-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Did you get it sorted cbtb ?

BTW: Id like to point out that vista has NO issues, just FEATURES

If you mean, did I figure out that Vista is a PITA? Um, yeah...

If I could go back to XP, I'd do it in an instant.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,556,765 times
TBH ive even said that myself. But there isno point in going back to XP. Soon support will end for it and youll be left very vunderable. Just hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers