U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 AM

786 posts, read 904,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I currently have a subscription to Trend Micro PC Cillin Internet Security 2006, which expires on 10/31/07. Once it does, I'm switching to the free stuff! I have another computer here that has the free AVG anti-virus program and it works great so far.
The latest Consumer Reports lists Trend Micro's PC-cillin as its #1 antivirus software. In addition, Trend Micro's software was ranked #1 in other categories for anit-spam, andi-spyware, and for suites.

Check Point's ZoneAlarm was ranked #2, and it was these two that were picked as CR "quick picks".

AVG's free anti-virus was ranked last in the anti-virus category, and did not appear to have an entry in the other categories.

CR's comment about free anti-virus programs was as follows:
Quote:

"But no-cost programs are worth considering as supplementary protection, or even as primary protection providing you practice safe computing and fully use the security tools built into your operating system. A few caveats, though: Compared with for-pay suites with a single interface, you'll need to manage a myriad of programs even in the best free anti malware applications. And some freeware may become for-pay eventually."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,120 posts, read 5,994,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
This is probably drifting a bit off-topic, but something else to keep in mind is that hackers are now finding ways to hide viruses and other spyware inside online videos. Anytime you see someone posting a link to a video - especially if the person is new to the boards, or has very few posts - you may want to think twice before clicking on the link.

Check out this news story at Yahoo (broken link) .
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:42 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,739,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this.
It seems there are more and more reasons these days for people to not use (or to limit use of) the majority platform.

I left the Microsoft fold as a home user in 1992, but it's a lot harder to do in a work context when I don't control the software that gets put on my machine...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:31 AM

12,627 posts, read 18,373,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I've been using AVG's free anti-virus for years now and will never go back to Norton or McAfee.
Norton/McAfee almost crashed my computer and my computer friend said AVG all the way. Hands down the best and free too.
Stopzilla is also good for pop ups.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,804,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Norton/McAfee almost crashed my computer and my computer friend said AVG all the way. Hands down the best and free too.
Stopzilla is also good for pop ups.
I ditched Norton some time back when it so saturated my system that it looked more like a virus itself than the means to stop one.

Keep in mind that no matter what anti-virus you have, there is lag between the time a bug is released on the net and the time it is first seen, analyzed, and then a definition created. Depending upon the structure and function of the bug this could be quick or it may be some time.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:16 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,569,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I've had it with Norton; it causes all kinds of issues for me. Can anyone recommend a good antivirus software or freeware?
If you use comcast you get McAfee for free.

AVG is free:

AVG Free Advisor - Free antivirus and anti-spyware downloads

For spyware:

The home of Spybot-S&D!

For a firewall:

ZoneAlarm by Check Point - Award winning PC Protection, Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware, Identity Protection, and much more.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 PM

14,042 posts, read 25,774,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
AVAST professional, but they now have a free home version that only requires that you register it.

avast! antivirus software - computer virus, worm and Trojan protection by ALWIL Software

Run multiple spyware proggies and of course hijack this.

Firewalls are a dime a dozen but Zone Alarm and Sygate are good basic choices and for more advanced home users, check out Comodo
That's what I use and it's free!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:50 PM

713 posts, read 1,268,851 times
i use combo of symantec corp av and spysweeper. thus far they have been a great combo to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or