U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 01:35 PM

509 posts, read 1,332,669 times

Advertisements

My old computer finally died and, along with it, my old address book. So, now I'm searching for a good address book software program that also allows me to print selected address labels for mailing. Any tips? I don't even know where to begin. I have a PC (not a Mac) and am familiar with Windows based programs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 PM

28,662 posts, read 40,659,831 times
I used Chaos when I was running a business and liked it. The free version might do what you want.

Chaos Software Products including Intellect email management

Did the computer die or the hard drive? If it wasn't the hard drive you might get your data files back.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I used Chaos when I was running a business and liked it. The free version might do what you want.

Chaos Software Products including Intellect email management

Did the computer die or the hard drive? If it wasn't the hard drive you might get your data files back.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll definitely look into that program. I have the files from my old hard drive saved to a Passport device and I can upload them but I had been using the old address book software from an ancient Palm Pilot (I don't even have the device anymore!). I just never upgraded the software and figured this was the time to do it. Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 PM

40,386 posts, read 41,902,518 times
Look into the mail merge feature on word processors, you can for example export your address book from Windows Live Email and then import it into a document like a template for labels.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Look into the mail merge feature on word processors, you can for example export your address book from Windows Live Email and then import it into a document like a template for labels.
Can you be selective if you want only print a subset?

Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 AM

40,386 posts, read 41,902,518 times
Quote:
Can you be selective if you want only print a subset?
If you're me you could. It's been a while since I've had to work with mailmerge and most of my experience was selective exporting from Quickbooks or working with a database.

Looking at Windows Live address book it exports a .CSV file and I would imagine most address books would do that, you could just open it with text editor and delete the lines you don't want. If it was something I was going to do a lot I'd find a way to access the address book directly with external application.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is what I used to use on my old computer. I was gifted a Dell laptop when my old HP died and it did not come preloaded with Windows (only a trial version, and then I would have to purchase a more comprehensive version). I use Open Office for most things, so I really didn't want to purchase a Windows package. I do like the Chaos program that was recommended but I haven't tried to print any labels yet. Thanks again!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:57 PM

You might do a search on a site like tucows for label programs (?)

Start up at the top by clicking the Windows tab

Edit: I drilled down to what I think might be the right place for what you're after.

Here

Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You might do a search on a site like tucows for label programs (?)

Start up at the top by clicking the Windows tab

Edit: I drilled down to what I think might be the right place for what you're after.

Here
That has some very good options - thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or