Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseJeff View Post
There's plenty of things these days that can knock out drivers. One thing you want to be careful of is file sharing programs. These are programs that allow you to share files with another user. They search for and allow you to download files directly from someone else's computer. The only files that can be downloaded are the ones placed within a designated "shared" folder, so if this program is running they can't just take what they want from your computer. The main issue with these programs is that kids tend to just download what they want, and ignore any threat. There are files out there that have viruses embedded within the program itself, so it's best to be careful. The most common ones I know of are "morpheous", and "Limewire". You may want to just check your start menu to see if those are installed. I just reformatted a drive and did a full reinstall for an uncle-in-law because of neighbor kids using Limewire to download stuff on his computer.

Glad you were able to get your sound back
Ah Ha!!!!! She has an Ipod & her phone has a MP
player.
I found Limewire & Frostwire on my computer and after checking came to the conclusion these were NOT legal downloads...I uninstalled both of them...are they gone or is there more to do?

She was a little miffed but I explained to her ..what if you were a musician and you worked really hard to make an album..had to pay for studio time, musicians et al and think you are going to make money and then find out people are stealing your work....I think she got the message.

I've bought her an Apple gift card to uase at Itunes for downloading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Quote:
I found Limewire & Frostwire on my computer and after checking came to the conclusion these were NOT legal downloads...I uninstalled both of them...are they gone or is there more to do?
Please go to HiJack This and unzip the newest version into a new dedicated folder,

Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\Programs\HJT.
Unzip HijackThis into this folder. Launch Hijack This, then "Do a system scan and save log file".

This will generate a text file that will list all running processes, all applications that are loaded automatically when you start Windows, and more.
Most things are harmless and needed so don't make any changes.

Then go to ASAP and pick a site from the list on the left side. Go to the forums, sign in as a member and look for the proper security section.

You're likely to get help quicker if you start your own thread, Post a log in a new thread started by you please. Posting a HJT log in someone else's thread gets to confusing and there is a good chance it will get overlooked.

Make sure you post the contents of the text file as a copy and paste...do not attach it as an attachment.

I would read the HiJack log myself but I haven't done that in almost 18 months due to health reasons and many things have changed. Liz

Old 09-26-2007, 08:56 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Thanks Liz, will do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers