U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM

807 posts, read 1,871,017 times

Advertisements

I lost my ethernet on my Dell due to a power surge caused by a lightning strike. I understand the basics on replacing an ethernet card but that's not what I found when I open the box this component is much smaller than anything I've ever seen. The small
curved piece on top looks like it could be lifted to remove the component but I wasn't sure?

How do I replace this? Do I need to replace the whole system board? Everything else on the machine works fine. Also, how do I determine the part number if this small component can be replaced?

This link shows the same thing. The ethernet card is built in with two usb ports to the left of the sound card.

Dell Inspiron 570 Socket AM3 HDMI System Motherboard 4GJJT - Dell - 4GJJT

Thank you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Dell Inspiron 570 Ethernet card trouble - how do I remove?-0617121547.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 9,408,063 times
Here is the service manual for your system.

Documentation

The picture you posted is of the connectors, looking at the documentation of this system it appears as though the LAN card is integrated into the motherboard.

Documentation

If that's the case and it is dead you can disable it in the BIOS and buy a NIC card....

Advanced Chipset Features

Onboard Audio Controller - Enabled; Disabled (Enabled by default)
SATA Mode - ATA; AHCI (AHCI by default)
Onboard LAN Controller - Enabled; Disabled (Enabled by default)
Onboard LAN Boot ROM - Enabled; Disabled (Disabled by default)

Your motherboard has one PCI and PCI-E slot, here are some NIC's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...er+pci&x=0&y=0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ci-e&x=25&y=16

Last edited by plwhit; 06-17-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM

7,165 posts, read 9,084,762 times
You can't replace it, it's part of the motherboard. as Plwhit said, disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS and install an add on card.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:53 PM

11,061 posts, read 9,218,066 times
TMI

The easier way to deal with this is to go to the My Computer Icon, right click it, go to properties and open device manager. Scroll down to Network and disable it. Go to a store nearby and purchase a USB to NIC. Run the software, plug it in and its recognized. Plug your cable into it and your done.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
TMI

The easier way to deal with this is to go to the My Computer Icon, right click it, go to properties and open device manager. Scroll down to Network and disable it. Go to a store nearby and purchase a USB to NIC. Run the software, plug it in and its recognized. Plug your cable into it and your done.
It might be just a slight tad easier but it's not the preferred method. Disabling it in device manager just disables the driver within Windows. Disabling via BIOS disables the hardware itself.

Although when it comes down to it you don't really even need to disable it, the add on card will work just fine using either method or leaving it alone.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM

11,061 posts, read 9,218,066 times
Quote:
Although when it comes down to it you don't really even need to disable it,....
But then the OP would have two icons in the lower right hand corner with one of them being a red X. Personally I'd like to not stare at that.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
But then the OP would have two icons in the lower right hand corner with one of them being a red X. Personally I'd like to not stare at that.
All depends on how anal the OP is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers