Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Thanks very much, but I miss things like the ability to right click for an in-context menu, there is no Backspace key, the menu buttons are on the "wrong" side, I have lots of files in Microsoft Works that I would need to convert, etc. I know there are fixes that will make the iMac behave more like Windows, but I'd rather just buy a PC and be done with it.
Right click (with a mouse) needs to be turned on in system preferences, delete is FN+Backspace, or just get the numeric keyboard which has the delete key. Regarding 'menu' buttons - do you mean the quit/minimise/maximise window buttons? And i'm pretty certain word on the mac will open works documents.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Thanks very much, but I miss things like the ability to right click for an in-context menu, there is no Backspace key, the menu buttons are on the "wrong" side, I have lots of files in Microsoft Works that I would need to convert, etc. I know there are fixes that will make the iMac behave more like Windows, but I'd rather just buy a PC and be done with it.
I'm a Windows guy. However, I've given Mac a chance for 11 months now. It took a little bit of relearning things, but I can honestly say that Mac has all of those features, right click, key combinations, a backspace key, etc... You just have to train yourself to think a little differently. If you don't want the hassle of doing that, then Windows is just fine. Of course, Windows 8 is going to force us to think differently too.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Roger Waters apparently hates Apple...

I wonder what Apple thinks about Roger Waters – The Wall tour… | Remote Control Cats

Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Well, my 6 year old Dell is finally getting slower and slower.
<SNIP>
Computer hardware doesn't slow down with time. It's the tons of crap that accumulate over time that slows down your computer. Every time that you install a piece of software and it installs a new toolbar in your web browser. Or launches itself at startup, whether you'll be using it or not. And that's not counting malware and background processes that you don't even know are running.

Before spending $$$ on a new computer, do a clean install on the one that you have. Backup all of your documents to external media and do a complete reformat and install of Windows. Your computer will perform like it did when you brought it from the store.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:39 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm a Windows guy. However, I've given Mac a chance for 11 months now. It took a little bit of relearning things, but I can honestly say that Mac has all of those features, right click, key combinations, a backspace key, etc... You just have to train yourself to think a little differently. If you don't want the hassle of doing that, then Windows is just fine. Of course, Windows 8 is going to force us to think differently too.
I'm a die hard PC user. Windows, Zune, the works. I have an Android phone. That said, I've been in the market for a new laptop for awhile now, my Toshiba is too dang heavy and it's slow. I wanted something fairly light, built halfway decent with a good screen. That last one is apparently hard to come buy. I bought a Toshiba ultrabook...nice, light, plenty fast...crappy screen and not nearly enough storage space. Took that back. Bought a Sony laptop. 'Bout 4 pounds, plenty fast, discrete graphics to boot, plenty of storage space. Tilt the screen up and you can't see it. Set it on your lap and it'll burn your legs. Took that back. Bought a Toshiba Portege. Fairly cool unless you're taxing it, plenty of space, plenty fast, good keyboard...crappy screen.

Did the unthinkable. Bought a 13" MacBook Pro on 7/15. Plenty fast, Intel 4000 graphics (plenty for my games and purposes), light enough, good keyboard and plenty of space. And lo and behold...a great screen. I have both Parallels and Boot Camp set up. Parallels for my everyday Windows apps that don't work on Mac, such as Zune. I use coherence mode so it's fairly seamless. Boot Camp for my Windows games that aren't going to play nice with Parallels. So far, it's working out. It's got its quirks, and there are some weird errors you can get that are just not helpful at all, even when it's a simple problem. But for the most part, it's easy, fast and fairly powerful. We'll see what the future brings for it.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM

194 posts, read 300,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
These are the posts I have a problem with, because they are misleading to people who come here asking for advice. Right now, we have 7 computers in our household, all running some version of Windows. I set them up to run updates automatically, run virus scans automatically at night. The only "monkeying" that takes place is having to change the batteries in a mouse from time to time. Sometimes, I have to stop and think how long it has been since a computer was restarted to clear out temp files and finish any updates. Wireless networks? Click on the wireless icon and connect. I've do that in airports and hotels many, many times and it is usually simply click and connect. Unless I CHOOSE to do something to one of the computers (such as upgrades or installing software), I haven't spent ANY time tinkering with my computers for the past 2-3 years. YMMV, but it is worthwhile to note that Windows computers are not inherently going to force you to "monkey" with them all the time.
The vast majority of windows based pc's require a lot of effort to run smoothly and all that is needed to upset this balance is a single update. No such problem with OSX.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 PM

194 posts, read 300,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Oh the urge to mock the mac-twits is irresistible, but I will refrain since I don't want to get flame-banned.

27in iMac base model going for $1,700 right now on apple.com.

For $1,800 I could build any of you a windoze 7 box with a top of the line ivy i7-3770, top of the line mobo, 16gb 1600mhz ddr3, 128gb ssd, 1tb data drive, gtx570, corsair h80, seasonic 750w psu, blu-ray burner, a 27in 1080p monitor, and a nice case. I'll even OC to 4.5ghz for no charge. Think that could beat an iMac performance wise?

Then for a nominal charge I could set you up with a Lion VM and you could safari, iphoto and final cut all you want.

Sure you wouldn't get 1440 resolution, that legendary apple support, and the smug satisfaction of owning an overpriced kid's toy, but do you really need it?
And how long before something goes wrong ?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
The vast majority of windows based pc's require a lot of effort to run smoothly and all that is needed to upset this balance is a single update. No such problem with OSX.
Do you really think the poster you replied to is still following this thread since he/she posted their comment 4 months ago?...

Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
I disagree. Since I typed the post that you refer to, I have done absolutely nothing to any of the computers in my household. BTW, did you read ShadowCaver's Sticky? Enough w/ the Apple vs Wintel/PC BS

Quote:
And how long before something goes wrong ?
When is this supposed to happen? Like I said before, they've been running this way for several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Do you really think the poster you replied to is still following this thread since he/she posted their comment 4 months ago?...
Yep. I think he is!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default You are an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Macs suck donkey slong
Urban Dictionary: schlong
Grammar Nazi Alert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers