Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Well, my 6 year old Dell is finally getting slower and slower. I'm at the point where I'd like to replace it.
So have you been helped? What have you decided on??

Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I have to throw in my two cents. I bought an iMac two weeks ago, and although I've tried to get used to it, I just can't. I'm too much of a control freak, and I like organizing my files a certain way. I'm taking this computer back to Best Buy tomorrow, and getting a PC instead.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I have to throw in my two cents. I bought an iMac two weeks ago, and although I've tried to get used to it, I just can't. I'm too much of a control freak, and I like organizing my files a certain way. I'm taking this computer back to Best Buy tomorrow, and getting a PC instead.
What is the mac not letting you do? I organize my files however I want.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
You can organize any computer, Mac or PC, any way you like, but you have to learn how to do it.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Sandy, if you bought your iMac from Apple, you can get excellent specific help on how to 'convert' from
PC thinking to the Mac OS; There are on online tutorials. Try this: Mac OS X: PC to Mac - The Basics

Or one-on-one help, in person or with a phone call. The Mac tech. help is excellent, 99% of the time.

Most folks I know who have switched from PC to Mac have these troubles in the beginning and basically
it's usually that they're not expecting it to be so easy. I.e., unconsciously just making things too hard.
It's true you have to let go of the PC way of thinking.

On a Mac you can do any thing you want with your files, honestly!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y
Well, my 6 year old Dell is finally getting slower and slower. I'm at the point where I'd like to replace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

To the OP, if you haven't decided yet between a Mac and a PC, take a gander at the two threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...y-changes.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...rt-button.html

Now, if you want to deal with all that, buy a PC. Otherwise, buy a Mac.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Thanks very much, but I miss things like the ability to right click for an in-context menu, there is no Backspace key, the menu buttons are on the "wrong" side, I have lots of files in Microsoft Works that I would need to convert, etc. I know there are fixes that will make the iMac behave more like Windows, but I'd rather just buy a PC and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Sandy, if you bought your iMac from Apple, you can get excellent specific help on how to 'convert' from
PC thinking to the Mac OS; There are on online tutorials. Try this: Mac OS X: PC to Mac - The Basics

Or one-on-one help, in person or with a phone call. The Mac tech. help is excellent, 99% of the time.

Most folks I know who have switched from PC to Mac have these troubles in the beginning and basically
it's usually that they're not expecting it to be so easy. I.e., unconsciously just making things too hard.
It's true you have to let go of the PC way of thinking.

On a Mac you can do any thing you want with your files, honestly!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
That Mac is very customizable.

Since I use both platforms equally, I would say the Mac is much easier to use, search and organize.

There is a right click mouse button. You just have to set it.
There is a back space key is the "delete" key.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I have learned a GREAT deal from this thread, more than I imagined when I started it. I am still contemplating which system to purchase, and doing more research. The cost of the Mac systems is a factor and I have to decide what my primary purpose is for using my computer. I'm still leaning toward a desktop, as I have no need for the portability of a laptop and I like having the option of a larger monitor. Plus, I'd need to get a router if I got a laptop and replace my modem.

Whatever purchase I choose will involve a new printer also, which requires more research. My printer is also 6 years old, still hanging in there (paid $100), but cartridges are very expensive (HP photosmart 7760). I don't want to spend huge bucks on cartridges for a new printer and would rather have the printer head built into the printer, which should lower the cost of cartridges, but increases the cost of the printer. I have to consider availability of the cartridges, however. Anyway, this thread has been enormously helpful! Still on the fence re: systems and am learning a LOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers