U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,574,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Interesting.

Just out of curiosity, can you run a Mac OS on a PC?
Well, there is project OSx86 which is a hacked version (a hackintosh as they are known) of OS X that will run on PC's.

OS X sends out a signal upon start-up that pings off a chip on the logic board (mother board for the PC folk) and tells the OS that it is loaded onto an Intel Mac and not an Intel PC. The hacked version of OS X removes that bit of code. So OS X does not know that it needs to ping anything and just boots up.

The company Pystar is trying to (legally) make hackintosh clones.
Psystar countersues Apple on antitrust grounds | Apple - CNET News

Another company in Europe made a USB chip that pings the OS, thus fooling the OS into thinking that it is on a legit Intel Mac. I can't find any info on these people but I do know that no one wanted to distribute their product in the US.

But....for the same reason that Apple Care is a waste of money is the same reason for why OS X on PC's will probably never legally happen (at least not if Apple has their way). By having full control over both the OS and the hardware Apple can build machines that are more stable than if built by a third party (and yes, I know that Macs do break down every once in a while). Apple did not coin the tern 'it just works' because they thought that it sounded cute.

Last edited by K-Luv; 01-12-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM

701 posts, read 994,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I have never bought an Apple warranty in the last ten years and I am not sure if I ever will. You get one year of coverage right off the bat (for free) and all Apple Care does is extend that same warranty for another two years. So basically you are just buying extra time and more phone support (big whoop dee-do!), not 'more' coverage (you end up with the same 'limited' coverage). If you bought a bad Apple, it is more than likely to malfunction well within the first year. Yes, it has been known that people have used Apple Care to replace parts that may or may not have been defective well into the second or third year of ownership, but the reality is that the older your computer becomes the more likely normal wear and tear will take it's toll and it becomes harder to 'prove' that the component is busted as a result of faulty manufacturing and not from basic everyday (over) use.

My 'professional' amateur opinion is that Apple Care is not worth it save for the piece of mind of just in case. You might as well just throw that $300 into the trash. Many other long time Apple users feel the same way. Search the Mac boards and you will read the same thing.
I agree with this opinion. I skipped on the Applecare when I bought my PB three years ago. Luckily, nothing has gone wrong. But if something did go wrong within 3 years, I knew that I could just go to Ebay and buy Applecare from a reputable vendor for less money. My brother in law did this when the hard drive on his PB went bad. His PB was about 2 years old at the time. He bought Applecare from a vendor on Ebay, registered the product. Waited till the weekend then went to the closest Apple Store to get it fixed. They replaced the HD. Even transferred the data from the "broken" drive to the new one. This experience is first hand - I was with him.

That turned him (and me and a whole bunch of friends who use Macs !) into loyal customers.

I don't know if things have changed now with regard to purchasing Applecare after the fact. Better check that out first: Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQs.

I don't think Apple cares about this "aftermarket" route of acquiring Applecare. In fact, its created a "secondary market" for Applecare. After all, the Applecare is still paid for, and they get the opportunity to please a customer in trouble should something go wrong.

I'm not a Mac fanatic by any means. But I will give my honest opinion when I'm asked. Based on my Mac ownership experience, I've bought exactly 7 Macs and 12 Ipods for friends overseas and probably convinced at least 10 people to buy Macs in the last year alone.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I agree with this opinion. I skipped on the Applecare when I bought my PB three years ago. Luckily, nothing has gone wrong. But if something did go wrong within 3 years, I knew that I could just go to Ebay and buy Applecare from a reputable vendor for less money. My brother in law did this when the hard drive on his PB went bad. His PB was about 2 years old at the time. He bought Applecare from a vendor on Ebay, registered the product. Waited till the weekend then went to the closest Apple Store to get it fixed. They replaced the HD. Even transferred the data from the "broken" drive to the new one. This experience is first hand - I was with him.

That turned him (and me and a whole bunch of friends who use Macs !) into loyal customers.

I don't know if things have changed now with regard to purchasing Applecare after the fact. Better check that out first: Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQs.

I don't think Apple cares about this "aftermarket" route of acquiring Applecare. In fact, its created a "secondary market" for Applecare. After all, the Applecare is still paid for, and they get the opportunity to please a customer in trouble should something go wrong.

I'm not a Mac fanatic by any means. But I will give my honest opinion when I'm asked. Based on my Mac ownership experience, I've bought exactly 7 Macs and 12 Ipods for friends overseas and probably convinced at least 10 people to buy Macs in the last year alone.
I forgot about this. I have heard of people buying Apple Care for 2nd products that they purchased from eBay or where ever. Considering the price for Apple Care, Apple is making money from it anyways.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
That's pretty interesting, i wasn't aware you could purchase Applecare on ebay.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That's pretty interesting, i wasn't aware you could purchase Applecare on ebay.
You can purchase it from an authorized Apple dealer, some of which sell items on eBay. Apple Care comes in a box, so it can be bought and sold like any other commodity. You can purchase Apple Care for any computer up until that computers 1 year anniversary from the day that the computer in question was originally registered. Apple Care is also registered to the serial number, and not the buyer, so Apple Care can transfer ownership if the computer (or iPod, etc.) was sold.

If you purchased Apple Care for a three year old iMac, for instance, and you called Apple about this problem or that they will tell you that your Apple Care protection plan is nil, but if you take it into an Apple Store it may or may not be 'under warranty' as it will be up to the manager of the store to accept it or not.

I have not done it myself, so this is just my basic understanding of how it works.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,569,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I'm going to be purchasing at least one Mac soon (at least one MacBook Pro - maybe two - with one utilized 100% for a small business) and I am unsure of whether to ante up the large amount of money to buy the extended warranty. It seems that in the past 2 years it isn't all that hard to find stories about people using it for failed hard drives or other issues, but overall I have this perception that Macs are much more reliable than PCs. What are your thoughts and/or experiences?
I figure I am already spending $2500 on the notebook so what's an extra $300 for 3 years of coverage? You can carry in the notebook for service and get Tech Support.

In general computers burn out or fail within a month (past that, you are usually safe). You have up to 6 months (or a year - I don't recall) to get it.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I figure I am already spending $2500 on the notebook so what's an extra $300 for 3 years of coverage? You can carry in the notebook for service and get Tech Support.

In general computers burn out or fail within a month (past that, you are usually safe). You have up to 6 months (or a year - I don't recall) to get it.
All Macs come with a one year limited warranty from Apple and 90 days of phone support, and as you said if your new computer is going to poop out due to a manufactured failure it is going to happen within that time frame. Even tough it is a limited warranty, pretty much everything that goes wrong with your computer that is not your fault is covered. Apple Care in reality is a two-year warranty that begins when the original warranty runs out, thus extending the warranty to three years. Here's the catch, it is still just as limited. You also receive a full three years of phone support with AC.

The two most common 'problems' that people report with their Macs has to do with the hard drive and with memory. And both can be 'fixed' for less than the price of Apple Care. Yes, sometimes that logic board will fry or there will be other issues, but they are usually far and few between when compared to other computer manufactures. The G5 line-up was the only line of Macs that I know of that had 'major' problems worthy of purchasing Apple Care.

Getting Apple Care to cover a MacBook may or may not be a good idea, it is up to you (the OP). The general consensus among long-term Mac users is that it may be a good idea since laptops get banged around tons more than a stationary desktop, but then again, many long time Mac users don't bother with it (or so they say on the message boards).

The LCD displays and iPhones are the only things that I think are an absolute for Apple Care.

Get it if you want it. The piece of mind that it buys for you is probably worth it alone.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
Default Apple extended warranty worthless

There may not be much point in purchasing the extended warranty. My daughter just returned from the "genius bar" with a Macbook Pro that is 10 days beyond the original warranty and for which we had purchased the extended warranty. It had suddenly failed. They said they could not fix it, would not try, and would not replace the machine. They cite a nearly invisible dent that has been there for 9 months creating no problems and say that this means they are not responsible.

She had been in numerous times for training since she got the dent and apparently no one noticed it or mentioned it. Wasn't such a big issue then, I guess. I'm pretty angry, but my daughter is in tears.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:26 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,465,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumdiddle View Post
There may not be much point in purchasing the extended warranty. My daughter just returned from the "genius bar" with a Macbook Pro that is 10 days beyond the original warranty and for which we had purchased the extended warranty. It had suddenly failed. They said they could not fix it, would not try, and would not replace the machine. They cite a nearly invisible dent that has been there for 9 months creating no problems and say that this means they are not responsible.

She had been in numerous times for training since she got the dent and apparently no one noticed it or mentioned it. Wasn't such a big issue then, I guess. I'm pretty angry, but my daughter is in tears.
I would call Apple's 800 number and seek a replacement.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,974,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I'm going to be purchasing at least one Mac soon (at least one MacBook Pro - maybe two - with one utilized 100% for a small business) and I am unsure of whether to ante up the large amount of money to buy the extended warranty. It seems that in the past 2 years it isn't all that hard to find stories about people using it for failed hard drives or other issues, but overall I have this perception that Macs are much more reliable than PCs. What are your thoughts and/or experiences?
Like many savvy shoppers I shy away from "extended warranties" but Applecare is NOT just an extended warranty. Applecare provides 36 month of unlimited tech support for your new Mac. THAT alone is worth the price!

If , as happened to me, your computer gets trashed beyond repair before the end of the 36 months Apple will refund , on a pro-rate by month, whatever is left of what you paid after replacing your computer. (Applecare is assigned to one , and only one, computer so you will need to buy it every time you buy a Mac)

All in all,IMO, Applecare is one of the best accesories a Mac user can buy for his/her computer bar none!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or