U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 PM

11,238 posts, read 13,243,564 times

Advertisements

When I go to youtube to watch a video it gives me an error message: An error occurred. Please try again later.

But it's some kind of general problem with my computer, because I can't see ANY videos anywhere. If I go to a news website and look on their Videos tab, it will just show a blank area where the video should be. So I'm 99.9% sure it's not youtube. (Plus I can watch youtube on my cell phone).

Earlier this afternoon my screen wasn't coming on my stupid computer, so I reset the power to make it boot up again. After it booted up it gave me the option to run an update on Adobe Acrobat (I think). So I did that update....I think that's when the video trouble started.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong? How to fix this? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 PM

40,340 posts, read 58,466,069 times
Did you by accident disabled Java or do not have the latest version Flash Player??
Check your add-ons in your browser to see if everything is enabled.
Download the latest version of Flash Player via the link from YouTube.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,475,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you by accident disabled Java or do not have the latest version Flash Player??
Check your add-ons in your browser to see if everything is enabled.
Download the latest version of Flash Player via the link from YouTube.
If these fail, try a different web browser and update your video card's drivers.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 PM

6,399 posts, read 10,904,123 times
Sounds like either the update didn't install completely or somehow got corrupted during or beforehand.
Try going to Add-Remove Programs:
- Start > Control Panel > Add-Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista-7)
- Uninstall "Adobe Flash Player ActiveX" entry if you are using Internet Explorer or "Adobe Flash Player Plugin" if using Firefox.
- Reboot computer
- Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed folder and delete Flash folder within.
- Open the browser you use and visit Adobe to re-install Flash Player.

If you still have issues, try the info I created for an old known issue with Adobe Flash Player that usually doesn't occur with the newer version but would be worth a shot at that point:
Adobe Flash Player is Not Working

~TL

Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 PM

I uninstalled Adobe Plugin. Now I can watch Youtube. But I can't watch the videos on the news website. It says something like "supports flash player." Now I'll try the suggestions about Adobe flash player...

Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 AM

I went ahead and re-loaded the Adobe Flash. It also loaded Mcaffe something. Then when it finished it said that Adobe flash was running. So I closed that window and re-opened firefox.

I can still watch youtube. But now I don't even get the message about supporting flash player on the other website. Just the blank screen like before.

Is it because I closed the Adobe window? I'm confused.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 AM

I checked under Manage Addons.

-The Adobe ones are Enabled.
-The Java ones under Sun are also Enabled.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 06-23-2012 at 12:52 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 AM

1. Everything works on Internet Explorer.

2. The non-youtube does NOT work on Firefox. (Youtube works)

Whatever I did this afternoon when I tried to run the Adobe update messed it up.

I'm wondering, could I uninstall ALL of the Adobe stuff and somehow re-install them? I'm just thinking though, and I don't want to make things worse. I'd almost rather just leave it the way it is because I can "workaround" the problem by using Explorer. I don't even know what the Adobe programs really do. I don't know what might happen if I uninstall everything.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 AM

3. I can't watch Active videos (whatever that means) like in an email, only the youtube links work. Did I mention that I installed Avira anti virus and Anti-malware after my original post? I wonder if that added to the problem.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:43 AM

40,340 posts, read 58,466,069 times
Now you have Mcafee and Avira? Both running at the same time? You should NOT under any circumstance have them BOTH running at the same time. Generally they will battle each other for resources and end up causing your computer more delay and issues.

Also please try to delete all the history and cookies.
You might try another browser like Chrome.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or