Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 AM

16,609 posts, read 15,558,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im talking just everything in general..

I have noticed that 99% of the time THINGS GET WORSE (With every so called "upgrade")

I do not like change BECAUSE MOST OF THE TIME ITS WORSE!!
OK, so you don't like change. Yet, you have nothing specific to complain about. Hmmm.

Most everybody that posts in this forum has come to like Win 7 better than anything offered before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:46 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,252,533 times
I think if you're into technology, and you think things get worse as time progresses; you're in the wrong field.

Sure there are WTH moments, where you're like, "OK that was a dumb release/update/new model." But for the most part, and especially with Windows 7 it was an improvement on Vista, and even XP in some cases.

I look at W7 like a more secure XP.

I even like the new Office; I think its more intuitive and easier to use, especially if you've never used Office before.

Eh, I get it. It can be frustrating. But change is only going to keep happening; like the hot gigantic steamroller it is. So you better keep up, or get out of the way...

Or you can try to stay antiquated, getting slowly squished as you appease the internet gods to write wikis and provide rollbacks so that you can use your word perfect software from 1987.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM

988 posts, read 1,200,526 times
Forgive me for sounding trite, if this is common knowledge, but isn't there a rule/law that every other version of Windows is horrible?

3.1x - Good
95 - Bad
98 - Good
ME - Bad
NT4 - Good
2000 - Bad? (I thought it was ok)
XP - Good
Vista - Bad
7 - Good
8 - ???

I understand the need to get with the times, and if the OP is going from XP to 7 they will be in good shape (at least they skipped Vista), despite minor grievances.

But if the windows law follows I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of Windows 8, especially since it is such a revolutionary revision in terms of UI, etc. (like Vista was to an extent).

Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,252,533 times
95, 98, 2000 and Vista weren't that bad. Vista after its initial problems (UAC, heavy system requirements, lack of compatability) worked just fine, and in some cases better than XP.

8 is basically 7 with a different start screen; one that can be disabled.

Most people go online, read email, tweet, facebook, look at pictures and listen to music and do a word doc here and there...maybe play a game or two...The Metro interface only facilitates that. There's no need to browse folders or whatever. Behind the scenes Windows "Libraries" for pictures and music are sorting all of that for you.

So again, Windows 8 will benefit common people who are in the "app" culture, but "double ironically" p-off the "techie" people who want their folders and registry and all of that; which IS STILL THERE. (sorry for the caps).

Another irony is that MS is out Apple-ing Apple. MS's live tiles, here and in Windows Phone are light years ahead in design of Apple right now (in terms of UI) MS just has to make it work...

That's why MS needs to copy Apple and control hardware too, otherwise we're going to see tiles filled with preinstalled bloatware for 10 different kinds of Anti-Virus and Flying Toaster Screensavers...

Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM

16,490 posts, read 19,542,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
8 is basically 7 with a different start screen; one that can be disabled.
You can disable Metro?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You can disable Metro?
You could in the early builds, but I heard they've been ripping out legacy code that allowed 3rd parties (like Stardock) to ditch metro and use the traditional start menu instead.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
That's why MS needs to copy Apple and control hardware too, otherwise we're going to see tiles filled with preinstalled bloatware for 10 different kinds of Anti-Virus and Flying Toaster Screensavers...
M$ is in the software business (mostly) and makes a lot of money selling their OS to OEMs. Don't want to pizz them off by handcuffing them to strict hardware requirements.

Plus if M$ tried to do something like this the FTC would jump up their azzes holding a sideways banker's box full of anti-trust and collusion lawsuits.

It's up to the hardware companies to write driver's that actually work (otherwise we, the market, shouldn't buy their crap). It is up to the OEMs to police the driver's on their products and limit crapware, which they could/should do more effectively.

I guess it wouldn't be a problem if M$ required drivers to be centralized and go through them to be tested before they are "signed" and accepted, much like the Apple Store has to approve content/apps first, but then again, how much do you trust M$ to do this for you?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You could in the early builds, but I heard they've been ripping out legacy code that allowed 3rd parties (like Stardock) to ditch metro and use the traditional start menu instead.
If this is the case I definitely won't be an early adopter of 8.

I use Stardock ObjectDock and it is all I need as a launching platform. Granted ObjectDock isn't "live", but having played around with consumer preview quite a bit, Metro was cute for about 30 minutes and then went stale (as a power user). Perhaps this won't be the case for casual users.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
M$ is in the software business (mostly) and makes a lot of money selling their OS to OEMs. Don't want to pizz them off by handcuffing them to strict hardware requirements.

Plus if M$ tried to do something like this the FTC would jump up their azzes holding a sideways banker's box full of anti-trust and collusion lawsuits.

It's up to the hardware companies to write driver's that actually work (otherwise we, the market, shouldn't buy their crap). It is up to the OEMs to police the driver's on their products and limit crapware, which they could/should do more effectively.

I guess it wouldn't be a problem if M$ required drivers to be centralized and go through them to be tested before they are "signed" and accepted, much like the Apple Store has to approve content/apps first, but then again, how much do you trust M$ to do this for you?
OEMs don't police crapware. They're the reason crapware exists. Crapware makes pay OEMs to crappify your PC.

Microsoft has been signing drivers for years. Unsigned drivers generate a pop-up message.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Microsoft has been signing drivers for years. Unsigned drivers generate a pop-up message.
M$ doesn't sign the drivers, the hardware companies do, and a third party certificate authority verifies the signature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers