Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times

Advertisements

My Dell desktop that I'm guessing is 5-7 yrs old suddenly won't turn on. I checked that all the cords are plugged in correctly.

I know nothing about replacing the motherboard, if that's what needs to happen, so how do I go about fixing this?

Also, how do I transfer all my files from the non-working computer to a new one, if I end up buying a new desktop? What's the BEST computer file transfer equipment out there?

I need help ASAP since I need my computer for my online college classes!

I appreciate ANY help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 AM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Try to determine what is the actual culprit first by checking these:

- Is the power cord connected at both ends?
- Does the outlet, the power cord is connected to, work? Use another known to be working outlet to make sure.

If you are positive that the outlet is good, power cord is good end computer is definitely getting power, then open the side panel so you can see the internal component and more importantly the motherboard where everything connects to:
- Check to see if there are any light coming on on the motherboard or anywhere outside the case (check front and back panels too).

When you press the power button:
- Does the power supply fan in the back start spinning?
- If yes to the above, does the processor fan on the motherboard start spinning?
- Does the system hum or do you hear any noise or feel any vibrations?
- Do you see any lights (check the keyboard too)?

Let's see what info we will get to the above so we may understand what is going on.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM

16,664 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Does the fan kick on for a second when you push the power button? If not, there's a good chance it's a bad power supply. Most likely, your files are intact on your hard disk. One of the easiest ways to transfer the files is to get a USB hard disk interface (for the appropriate type of hard disk, then simply hook that interface up to a working computer and drag the files off.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
One of the easiest ways to transfer the files is to get a USB hard disk interface (for the appropriate type of hard disk, then simply hook that interface up to a working computer and drag the files off.

My favorite one. $17

Newegg.com - Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2

Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,286 times
Whatever you do don't go to geeksquad. They will freak you out and say you need the $1,500 clean-room recovery, when all you need is a $17 part from Newegg.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
If it's the power supply (and it probably is) you can buy one and replace it yourself.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:45 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If it's the power supply (and it probably is) you can buy one and replace it yourself.
Most definitely. There are plenty of instructions online for replacing most computer parts, and pretty much if you can tell one end of a screwdriver from the other you are capable of replacing the power supply. Just remember to unplug the computer first

Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Thanks for your replies guys. Again, I'm not a computer techie person at all. I already took it to Best Buy's Geek Squad, but they wanted $200 just to see what was wrong since I had to buy their warranty because I didn't buy my computer through them. I did NOT leave my tower there. I went to a computer repair place & I'll have to pay $45 for the diagnostics & that cost will go towards the repair.
If I have to end up buying a new computer, which I sure won't build myself. I'll get an HP this time. I've had Dells that last few times.

I like how Dropbox works, but I don't know how or if I can transfer files from a non-working computer with that method. If I have to pay for the repair guy to do that, so be it I guess.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for your replies guys. Again, I'm not a computer techie person at all. I already took it to Best Buy's Geek Squad, but they wanted $200 just to see what was wrong since I had to buy their warranty because I didn't buy my computer through them. I did NOT leave my tower there.
I guess you didn't get the chance to see eric's warning?
Glad you were wise enough to not let them man-handle your PC and rip you off.

Quote:
I went to a computer repair place & I'll have to pay $45 for the diagnostics & that cost will go towards the repair.
If I have to end up buying a new computer, which I sure won't build myself. I'll get an HP this time. I've had Dells that last few times.
Some places do diagnostics for free but it is also understandable that they charge for the diagnostics and then forward that towards the final bill as credit so people couldn't take advantage of them.
If you paid the $45 already, I am guessing you shouldn't have to pay more than another $50 max, if anything at all. There are decent PSUs that should handle an older PC like yours that cost around $50-$60 even.

Quote:
I like how Dropbox works, but I don't know how or if I can transfer files from a non-working computer with that method. If I have to pay for the repair guy to do that, so be it I guess.
Once it is fixed, you can do the backup and be prepared for the next time where the issue was the Hard disk.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
Well, I heard HP desktops are built to last until their warranty ends, so HP makes cheap desktops. They don't even consider their computer business profitable anymore and I've heard they wanted to get rid or that [rumor]. So I would buy an HP.

But even a high end expensive custom built desktop can have problems, like my current 1 year old rig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers