U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Location: Massachusetts-but someday soon hope to live part of year in Arizona, and part of the year in Mass
71 posts, read 230,661 times

Advertisements

I need to get a new wireless router, so that I can hook both my pc AND my laptop (which the pc is already hooked up) to the internet
(but I also want to be able to (once again) have my laptop hooked up to the internet.
I had a netgear wireless router which no longer works and the tech support for it has ended,
so they won't help me without charging me for the tech support which I can't afford.)

what are the best wireless routers (brand names, generic names)?

what companies have the best customer service?

what companies have the best tech support?

which companies (and/or stores that sell others' companies products)
have extended service and extended tech support options
that can be purchased (so I don't have to be
without tech support or repair or replacement options
for any new wireless router that I purchase
or someone in my family helps me buy-I live on under 800.00 monthly.)

right now I use the pc for my main internet access at home
while if I was able to use the laptop at home for online access
I could sit in one of the more comfortable living room chairs
or even the couch or couch bed pulled out and do my computing things there rather than be tied to the pc
and sit in a chair that's ok for short amounts of time, but not good for my back, neck or rear end after an hour or two at a time.
(I'm looking to go back to work part time, so am doing online job search things.
next year I hope to return to college, so am also looking up and gathering information about colleges online,
as well as transportation related issues because I can't drive so must rely on public transportation,
so am researching transportation options of the places where I want to go to school in about a year from now.)

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
rfb

1,913 posts, read 5,247,827 times
I use a Linksys wireless router in my home. I don't know if it is the best, but it been working fine for me for several years without any problems.

I've never considered buying any form of extended service contract. Hardware devices just don't fail all that often - usually within their normal warranty period or after many years of operation. And tech support for these SOHO dealers is just terrible, anyway. I'd rather roll the dice and replace the unit if/when it fails or my needs change.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM

Location: Massachusetts-but someday soon hope to live part of year in Arizona, and part of the year in Mass

ok thanks.

the netgear router isn't that old a year to a couple years old and when I moved to a new apt
in february, it stopped working in either february or march and I can't get any help from the manufacturer with it.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 AM

510 posts, read 3,023,662 times
First, have you hit the reset button on the Netgear router? It will be a small round dot that you'd use a pin or pencil tip to push in. That may just fix it right there.

I have used multiple different routers, and my personal favorite is still netgear. Linksys follows a close second.

I'm assuming you're familiar with how to hook up the router to allow both computers access to the internet. If there is only one output for your cable modem, and you want your desktop in another location you can buy inexpensive USB wireless receivers for the desktop as well.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:49 AM

"First, have you hit the reset button on the Netgear router?
It will be a small round dot that you'd use a pin or pencil tip to push in.
That may just fix it right there.
I have used multiple different routers, and my personal avorite is still netgear.
Linksys follows a close second.
I'm assuming you're familiar with how to hook up the router to allow both computers access to the internet.
If there is only one output for your cable modem, and you want your desktop in another location
you can buy inexpensive USB wireless receivers for the desktop as well."

I believe I did try that.

I also talked to netgear on the phone once since this happened and they tried to troubleshoot with me
once for free, even though the tech support had ended by then.
I have a dsl modem hooked up to my pc, I think it does only have one output.

both are in my apartment. for phyiscal comfort (for longer times of using computer) I prefer to be able to use the laptop.
(a few weeks ago, I was away from home, I had my laptop with me since the hotel where I was at a conference at, had free wifi,
so at night when conference events of the day were over, I was able to get online in the comfort of the hotel room,
and I realized how much I missed being able to do that with the laptop at home.)

yes I generally know how to hook things up, sometimes, when needed,
I ask others for instructions on how to hook things up correctly.

should I consider asking my isp if they'll send me another type of dsl modem (free?)
maybe one that is also a wireless router, that I might use?

"you can buy inexpensive USB wireless receivers for the desktop as well."

based on what I've said in this reply: do you think I need one of these? about how much might one cost?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,403,817 times
Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, and Buffalo are all good options.
If you have a Best Buy near you, check these out...I told hubby to look at them for us:
Belkin - Wireless-G Router with 4-Port Switch - F5D7230-4 (http://tinyurl.com/bp6vp - broken link) Belkin Wireless-G Router with 4-Port Switch Model: F5D7230-4
NETGEAR - 802.11g Wireless Router - WGR614 (http://tinyurl.com/69lrc - broken link) NETGEAR 802.11g Wireless Router Model: WGR614
Buffalo Technology - AirStation Wireless-G 802.11g High-Speed Router - WHR-G125 (http://tinyurl.com/242l8s - broken link) Buffalo Technology AirStation Wireless-G 802.11g High-Speed Router Model: WHR-G125

Our router died this morning. I'm currently hardwired into the modem just to be online. Hubby is tasked with buying a new router on his way home tonight if he wants HIS computer to be online. I tried every one we had in the house (had a decent size collection of leftovers that we forgot to throw away).

On some, the ports might work but others wouldn't...the one that died, all the lights came on and it said I was online but nothing connected. Yet if I hardwired straight to the modem, I did connect. And yes, I did all the troubleshooting I was suppose to do, reset button and all. They aren't meant to last a lifetime. We figure if they last 2+ years, we are doing good. They just tend to fail at the WRONG time. Liz

Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 PM

510 posts, read 3,023,662 times
You can buy wireless USB's for your computer for 50-100 or so tops... not too spendy. No reason to buy it though if you can hook your computer up wired.

Sounds like you have done all you can with your router. I have to assume that since you're posting here that you are hooked up through the modem at your place? I know it's silly, but just wanted to be sure you knew it was the router, and not possibly the modem at the new place.

It sounds like you may need to just go out and buy a new router. You can get netgears for $50 at bestbuy, or at least the last time I was there. There's probably no reason to get any of the high end routers, unless you want the extra speed and security of a higher end one.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Default re: wireless router.:

thanks everyone for your replies.
one of my sisters (when I called her earlier, bofore I started this thread) said to ask online (which I did with this thread)
and then let her know what replies I got, so I just copied and pasted the text of the thread and replies
to an email to her and just sent it, along with including a LINK to best buy.com at the end of the email message.

and yes there are some best buy stores somewhat nearby.

(^ although since I don't drive or own a car, I don't get to them too often and when I do, need a ride.)

thanks again.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 PM

134 posts, read 345,389 times
I would recommend the Linksys wrls rtr. The WRT54g would be best for basic home networking/wrls setups. Although they are outsourced the tech support is good and free. Also look into purchasing a Gateway. These are modem/router combos and are much easier to deal with. Most Isp's offer these for purchase and should entail a lifetime warranty as with any cpe. Good brand of gateway would be 2wire. They are great and they have advanced tech support that is.....In the US!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,835 times
Hi, I have a Laptop and has WI-Fi built into it. Does yours? I have a Belkin Router and it works great. I have it hooked up to my Desktop and my lap top picks the signal up while I sit outside. You would need to connect your cable to the Belkin Box and plug an Erthnet into back of your Desk Top to the Belkin Router. But I seen at Walmart for 60 Dollars, they have a Modem Box that you can buy so you dont pay for it each month on your cable bill, here in Florida we are charged 5 dollars a month for the box like rent. Also most Cell phone companies have a wirless connector , but you pay for it monthly but they are worth it. When oir power goes oir I do online school I can still use my compurter if i have a class to attend or a paper dur. Mine is Altell and wish I had a different carrier for the wireless connector, because you can get them cheaper. Also some are pay as you go. . But as I read other replies, buying a USB Flash Drive, I paid like 15 dollars at walmart for mine. You download your wirless connection from your desk top and save it on the Flash Drive and install it into your Laptop for a wireless connection, and the same for printers etc. I hope this helps. Gave you a few ideas. I tried to explain this the best I can lol lol. Best of luck. Ya not being able to drive is the pits. I know I am in the same boat. GL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers