Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times

Advertisements

I leave my main computer on 24/7/365 but put it to sleep when I'm not using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:22 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Cold-hot-cold-hot thermal cycles are the bane of electronics. Heating and cooling causes expansion and contraction that affects the components and their joins (solder joints). This cycling is one of the single biggest causes of 'wear and tear' on electrical/electronic/electromechanical components. If you can afford the juice, and you use them often/regularly, leave 'em on. If you don't use 'em very much, turn 'em off.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
For those who leave laptops on, is that plugged in or on battery? What if an electrical storm passes through? Even a UPS might be compromised by a lightening strike.
With decades of working on computers, I have seen a lot of damage caused by lightening and other electrical disturbances to computers and other electronics, some that resembled crispy critters.

However I have never seen any damage to any equipment that was totally protected by surge suppressors (which includes phone lines), or that were connected to a UPS. The surge or UPS were toast, but the devices (computers, servers, routers, switches, etc.) were fine.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Cold-hot-cold-hot thermal cycles are the bane of electronics. Heating and cooling causes expansion and contraction that affects the components and their joins (solder joints). This cycling is one of the single biggest causes of 'wear and tear' on electrical/electronic/electromechanical components. If you can afford the juice, and you use them often/regularly, leave 'em on. If you don't use 'em very much, turn 'em off.
and combined with the 'in rush' of current when devices are power on, is the greatest time of failure of electronic components, followed by external causes, mainly overheating due to fan failure or a too hot environment, and electrical disturbances, surges and spikes.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I've two Seagate drives that are almost 10 years old now, computer stays on 24/7/365. I do it for convenience.

I think if you're going to come to any conclusions you need a pretty complicated formula that is going to consider energy use, depreciation value (eg my drives can be purchased for about $30 new) etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:22 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
For those who leave laptops on, is that plugged in or on battery? What if an electrical storm passes through? Even a UPS might be compromised by a lightening strike.
Um... if you leave it on whilst on battery it will eventually shut off when the battery dies.

If an electrical storm passes though, I make popcorn and watch the lightening.
And yes, a UPS could easily be "compromised" by a lightening strike... which is kind of the point of a UPS. Worst case scenario a UPS will die and in doing so, it will protect your equipment.
But that rarely happens. A UPS is designed to take a surge... that's what it is for.

I really don't worry about storms and I have had lightening strike my house before. It knocked some bricks off my chimney and blew a port on my router and the network card in my PC. Replaced network card and used a different port on the router and it was fine. Strangely the modem survived.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Quote:
We leave them on 24/7
I don't see how a stack of batteries that are not connected to the circuit or the power grid being effected by a lighting strike.

The UPS only comes into play after the power goes out.

I suppose if the building is on fire it could be compromised but that is what they are designed for, if the power should go out for some reason, like a lighting strike.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Yes, Peregrine, a battery will eventually shut off.

Snofarmer, obviously, on battery unplugged isn't affected by a lightning strike.

But thanks guys for answering as if I'm stupid.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Now for anyone who can be civil:

Those who keep a laptop on:
If it goes to sleep or into hibernation, how is that different from powering it off?

Do you turn off the sleep or hibernation functions?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Mine run 24/7/365 due to CCTV connected to it. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers