U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2012, 03:43 AM

121 posts, read 117,402 times

Advertisements

Are you running --> Mozilla Firefox Web Browser 14.0.1 ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:18 AM

57 posts, read 43,823 times
Im glad I found this thread. Yes, last night, Mozilla insisted on upgrading me to version 14, and all Adobe Flash functions immediately stopped working. I reinstalled Firefox, I reinstalled Flash player, I rebooted, I googled the issue and tried a couple of fixes, and still, nothing but a blank screen for any application that requires Flash. Finally, in desperation, I re-insteloled Firefox 13, and what do you know, now everything works perfectly.

Do you know something about Firefox 14 that I don't know? I think I hate Firefox more than I hve ever hated any computer application in my life, and I've hated a lot of them. Now, they are going to continuously badger me to upgrade to their POS version 14 and probably within the next year of so versions 15 and 16 and 17, and all they do is make them increasingly unsupportive of everything except facebook and twitter and bing, and make the back arrow less and less legible.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM

1,052 posts, read 960,208 times
Iuyno, I've found that the Firefox automatic updates can be disabled.

Go to: Options > Advanced > Update
Then click the "Never check for updates" button.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,300,630 times
I am using
32-bit Windows 7 or XP: Firefox 14.x which seems to be working without any issues with the latest Flash version. Add-ons: Adblock+ and NoScript.
I uninstalled Flashblock which might have something to do with YouTube Flash videos crashing but not sure.
64-bit 7 or XP: User Waterfox which is a 64-bit re-coded version of Firefox 13.x much faster, much lighter, this is the one that never gave me any issues.

Those using 32-bit Windows XP/7 and having issues with Firefox, I urge you to try the lighter, more stable and faster version of Firefox named Pale Moon.

If it is working, I do not upgrade any apps and almost always disable automatic update function.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 AM

21,589 posts, read 23,714,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
This has been happening on and off at my home computer, even though not that often, it has been bugging me nevertheless. I will have to suspect Firefox and Flash or at least just Flash as I have seen this occur on some IE users at work.

I am using Waterfox at work on a 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, not once has it occurred. At home I have seen this happen both on a 32-bit XP Pro and 64-Bit Win7 Ultimate, using Firefox. So obviously, OS and its version is not the issue. Waterfox is 64-bit that is the only difference between Waterfox and Firefox, other than that the only common thing is Flash, both using same version.

Work PC has an ATI Radeon 68xx series video card, at home it is an Nvidia 8800GT card, there is also the slight chance of it being related to the video card drivers but I cannot tell for sure.

And of course, there is always the main culprit the video in question that the person is watching when the crash occurred.

Some of the users who had this problem either had previous malware infections of continue to have it on and off due to their browsing habits. Home computer is clean so not sure if malware is really the
catalyst.

Too many variable and no real resolution I have seen yet. I have noticed though that cleaning the temp files, browser cache and flash cookies seem to remedy the issue at least for a good while.
I quickly clean the above mentioned locations by CTRL+SHIFT+DEL and using Flash Cookie Cleaner.

If anyone can provide more details or their good/bad experiences, it might shed more light but I don't think
much will change until a patch or an update to the related apps come up.

Thank you for the FlashCookieCleaner. I will report back the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Who? Me? No, Chrome.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM

21,589 posts, read 23,714,857 times
The Flash Cookie Cleaner found only two (?) cookies in my computer....
I just disabled the shockwave flash. Computer seem to be working better now
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM

1,578 posts, read 1,490,743 times
There's been a problem with the Adobe Flash for a while now. There has been a lot of discussion everywhere about how the latest Adobe updates are buggy and unstable. See Adobe Forums: Flash Player 11.3.300.257 Keeps Crashing On Mozilla Firefox 13 and other similar threads. YouTube would not play at all for a while, then it would work if you selected the video from YouTube itself, but still wouldn't play embedded videos. On my machines, I've updated all the Firefox software, Windows Vista and Windows 7, and all of the Adobe software. I think Flash and videos work now. There was also sone kind of conflict with RealPlayer, in case you have that installed. Someplace on the 'Net, I ran across some instructions for changing settings in RealPlayer and that actually did get YouTube videos playing again on one of my computers. I thought Firefox and Adobe had fixed the problems by now?

Old 09-28-2013, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 420 times
Hey, TurcoLoco

"Hey I was just trying to clarify."

No, actually, you came off trying to be a smartass. d

"First of, there is no such thing as "Adobe Shockwave Flash", it is either Adobe Shockwave Player or Adobe Flash Player. I am not sure which one was the problem but if it was in regards to watching online videos, my guess is the issue was with Flash Player."

Maybe beside being confused about of and off, you have lousy communications skills. After beginning with an insulting first sentence, when the guy replies in kind, you up the ante with:

"If you didn't even have Shockwave Player installed then the answer is quite simple, no need to get all wise....There must be other factors involved, perhaps it might have something to do with the videos in question? Either way, I don't dare or care to spend any more time on this."

Yes, why waste your time wasting his time?

"Nowhere in your post did you state that you uninstalled it and then did a clean install.

He did say "This started when I updated Adobe Shockwave Flash, which I've re-installed two more times," so it is a safe bet to believe he uninstalled before reinstalling.

"Uninstalling and re-installing Firefox is also a sound suggestion since I do not know if you botched FF when you were 'repairing' Flash."

Since he did not use the word "repair" or "repairing," it seems that what is "botched" is your smartass attitude that puts words in his mouth so you can pour on more smartass.

"Excuse me for merely suggesting the logical steps that I would have taken."

Sure. Excuse me for "merely" pointing out, again, that you seem more able to be a smartass than any real help.

"There is no uninstall mentioned on there either but the point is people coming in here, without any obligation to attempt to help you out and you start flaming, insulting and acting like an arse?"

He didn't say the Mozilla troubleshoot guide suggesting an uninstall. WHat he said:

"I've run Firefox in Safe Mode, and it does not crash. I've unchecked Hardware Accelerator, it still crashes. I've gone to Appearance Panel, I am running in Firefox Default Theme, and no others are listed. I've gone to the Extensions Panel, and all are Disabled.

"The above is the fix procedure recommended at [url]https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ons+and+themes[/url] "

"...but the point is people coming in here, without any obligation to attempt to help you out and you start flaming, insulting and acting like an arse?"

The point is, he came in respectful, with a clear indication of his problem and what he has done to try to correct it, and Your Arseness, first sentence of your reply, hit him with "First of [sic], there is no such thing as "Adobe Shockwave Flash", it is either Adobe Shockwave Player or Adobe Flash Player. I am not sure which one was the problem but if it was in regards to watching online videos, my guess is the issue was with Flash Player."

Then, you have the audacity to blame Firefox for misnaming its component:

"That is a naming error presumably on Firefox's part I am sure but as I predicted..."

omg and now you have the gift of prophecy, too, but as my Firefox plug-in also says, "Shockwave Flash... Adobe Flash Movie)

So it's been a year, and I don't need an update, but good advice would be that if you are still offering your free "advice" here...

"Thanks for reminding me that all my time and efforts I share here for free is always appreciated by people like you. If you dislike a suggestion, next time just ignore it, don't act on it and keep your opinions to yourself,"

Why don't you keep it to yourself and let someone give advice who is civil and respectful, like the others who offered suggestions to the guy with the problem.

No, really. If you don't see smartass in your remarks, believe us when we say we do. And you're welcome in advance for appreciating my helpful, friendly advice to you, a klutz at human communication.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 9,408,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley69 View Post
Hey, TurcoLoco

"Hey I was just trying to clarify."

No, actually, you came off trying to be a smartass. d

"First of, there is no such thing as "Adobe Shockwave Flash", it is either Adobe Shockwave Player or Adobe Flash Player. I am not sure which one was the problem but if it was in regards to watching online videos, my guess is the issue was with Flash Player."

Maybe beside being confused about of and off, you have lousy communications skills. After beginning with an insulting first sentence, when the guy replies in kind, you up the ante with:

"If you didn't even have Shockwave Player installed then the answer is quite simple, no need to get all wise....There must be other factors involved, perhaps it might have something to do with the videos in question? Either way, I don't dare or care to spend any more time on this."

Yes, why waste your time wasting his time?

"Nowhere in your post did you state that you uninstalled it and then did a clean install.

He did say "This started when I updated Adobe Shockwave Flash, which I've re-installed two more times," so it is a safe bet to believe he uninstalled before reinstalling.

"Uninstalling and re-installing Firefox is also a sound suggestion since I do not know if you botched FF when you were 'repairing' Flash."

Since he did not use the word "repair" or "repairing," it seems that what is "botched" is your smartass attitude that puts words in his mouth so you can pour on more smartass.

"Excuse me for merely suggesting the logical steps that I would have taken."

Sure. Excuse me for "merely" pointing out, again, that you seem more able to be a smartass than any real help.

"There is no uninstall mentioned on there either but the point is people coming in here, without any obligation to attempt to help you out and you start flaming, insulting and acting like an arse?"

He didn't say the Mozilla troubleshoot guide suggesting an uninstall. WHat he said:

"I've run Firefox in Safe Mode, and it does not crash. I've unchecked Hardware Accelerator, it still crashes. I've gone to Appearance Panel, I am running in Firefox Default Theme, and no others are listed. I've gone to the Extensions Panel, and all are Disabled.

"The above is the fix procedure recommended at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ons+and+themes "

"...but the point is people coming in here, without any obligation to attempt to help you out and you start flaming, insulting and acting like an arse?"

The point is, he came in respectful, with a clear indication of his problem and what he has done to try to correct it, and Your Arseness, first sentence of your reply, hit him with "First of [sic], there is no such thing as "Adobe Shockwave Flash", it is either Adobe Shockwave Player or Adobe Flash Player. I am not sure which one was the problem but if it was in regards to watching online videos, my guess is the issue was with Flash Player."

Then, you have the audacity to blame Firefox for misnaming its component:

"That is a naming error presumably on Firefox's part I am sure but as I predicted..."

omg and now you have the gift of prophecy, too, but as my Firefox plug-in also says, "Shockwave Flash... Adobe Flash Movie)

So it's been a year, and I don't need an update, but good advice would be that if you are still offering your free "advice" here...

"Thanks for reminding me that all my time and efforts I share here for free is always appreciated by people like you. If you dislike a suggestion, next time just ignore it, don't act on it and keep your opinions to yourself,"

Why don't you keep it to yourself and let someone give advice who is civil and respectful, like the others who offered suggestions to the guy with the problem.

No, really. If you don't see smartass in your remarks, believe us when we say we do. And you're welcome in advance for appreciating my helpful, friendly advice to you, a klutz at human communication.
Seems the only person who has ever complained about TurcoLoco's communications skills in the last three years in this forum is you...

If you don't like this sub-forum be our guest, leave and go elsewhere...

Next time you post in this sub-forum why don't you try and keep your posts to the topic of the OP instead of attacking a fellow poster.

10 to 1 TurcoLoco has forgotten more about computers than you'll ever learn in your lifetime...

Old 09-28-2013, 06:58 PM

11,748 posts, read 27,321,510 times
Hey Ripley *PLONK*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers