Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:09 PM

620 posts, read 1,748,421 times

Advertisements

I bought Malwarebytes and scheduled it to daily auto-update and scan. I use AVG (free) for antivirus. AVG should not be used with MSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,382,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
After not having used it for years, I tried it again a couple days ago. I use MSE, and run MWB at least weekly, and even after that SB found a few things. My PC had been slowing down, and now it's noticeably faster than it was a week ago after I deleted what SB found.

My poorly educated opinion is that while some programs are better than others, on a given day any one of them may find something that another did not. I've seen this many times on all my machines.
Good ol' Spybot.. it's been around for years with that same "old school" interface, but it gets the job done.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,941,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill236c View Post
I bought Malwarebytes and scheduled it to daily auto-update and scan. I use AVG (free) for antivirus. AVG should not be used with MSE.
No real time anti-virus app should be run in conjunction with ANY other real time anti-virus app, this is computer 101 stuff. Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus app, and it is designed to be used side by side with your chosen AV app.

As a side note, AVG has been off my and many peoples list of recommended freebie AV apps for a while, it isn't what it used to be.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So I have Norton Internet Security 2011 on my desk top and the 2012 on my laptop. Just installed Malwarebytes and ran scans twice (a week apart) on both machines.

Folk here could not say enough about how wonderful Malwarebytes is and how Norton sucks. So why is it that when I run Malwarebytes it finds nothing?

Could it possibly be that Norton does not suck?

No need to have a nonuseful program on my computers. Tell me why I should not uninstall Malwarebytes. I suspect Malwarebytes is a good partner with other free antivirus programs. Thus the praise. Me? I don't mind paying for top shelf protection.
These results say absolutely nothing for Norton's effectiveness, many of us can and do run computers with no AV application at all and have no problem keeping them malware free. If your's is clean, it's more likely due to your web browsing habits and practicing "safe hex" rather than the effectiveness of what ever AV app you're running.

As far as convincing someone to keep or remove an app, as was stated earlier, few of us really care what anyone does, it has no affect on us, so why take up our time trying to convince anyone either way

Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM

620 posts, read 1,748,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As a side note, AVG has been off my and many peoples list of recommended freebie AV apps for a while, it isn't what it used to be.
Do you prefer MSE over AVG? If so, why? I would switch if there are good reasons to do so.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,116,464 times
One thing: Avast is takes care of viruses and malware and it automatically keeps the program updated. Plus it is free.

Don't waste money when the girl is free, so to speak.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
One thing: Avast is takes care of viruses and malware and it automatically keeps the program updated. Plus it is free.
Isn't that the definition of an anti-virus app in general, free or not?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,647,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The problem isn't with Norton's effectiveness against malware, its with its annoying nature. I'd rather not be harassed constantly by my software. I don't run Norton and I could run a Malwarebytes scan right now and not find anything. That's not because my antivirus is so awesome, but because I don't download stupid crap or blindly click on everything I can, so there's nothing malicious to find on my PC.
lol, ya think?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,116,464 times
Quote:

Don't waste money when the girl is free, so to speak.
Free, yes. I did miss something, though. If there is a new version it may need human intervention, otherwise the updates are free.

I just thought I'd see what MSE was about, so naturally I had to get rid of Avast. Can't have them both running. MSE is like Avast in that respect, that the little updates don't need me to do anything, but new versions most likely will need my help.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Free, yes. I did miss something, though. If there is a new version it may need human intervention, otherwise the updates are free.

I just thought I'd see what MSE was about, so naturally I had to get rid of Avast. Can't have them both running. MSE is like Avast in that respect, that the little updates don't need me to do anything, but new versions most likely will need my help.
New versions of MSE come via Windows update so you get them like any other security update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers