Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:21 AM

61,639 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Tired of computer running slow, I did some cleaning with CCleaner and Anti-Malware ( found nothing ), then went to system configuration and checked on stuff that is running by start. I unchecked two programs, that I though are not so important to run on start ( I think it was a google updater and AV scanner). Then disconnected the router, and reconnected again. Restarted the system, and indeed it was running much faster.
Full of joy checked on my plugins and extensions, because shockwave often crashed and sometimes pages didn't reload and asked me to kill or wait, but didn't found any problems there. However I noticed two messages that Java, and shockwave flash had a critical update , so I let it run.
After the updates finished, I just went back to C-D screen.
Several minutes later the screen started to act weird... there were little colorful dots, short lines, then longer lines, then screen went blank ( with all those dots and lines still there ). A new window pop-up with more lines, so just seconds before everything went blank, I managed to take a snap shot of the screen - attached.
Rebooting computer didn't do nothing. All I get is system running but black screen - no text, no icons, no start button, no cursor. Nothing to click on. No way to start in safe mode ( F8 or F12 doesn't work ).
After several attempts I got text ( it happen only once) asking me if I want to start windows in normal mode or repair. Clicked on repair and scan started. After scan finished I got a message that computer was unable to self-repair . In the result of the scan I read:
Changes in system configuration cause system won't start.
All errors were 0x0.
I tried to reboot the system again, to see if the F keys will bring me to BIOS, but I never got the text again. All I see now is just that computer goes on, fan is running, some noise is telling me that computer is running too ( no pips), but the screen remains dark and completely blank.
I would hate to loose all my pictures, documents, settings, even my Photoshop and Lightroom and other paid software.
Since system appeared to run fine after the msconfig changes, I suspect that the problem is caused by the recommended Shockwave or Java update.
How I can get the system running again? Is there any hope??

HP Pavilion with Windows Vista

Attached screenshot ( sorry is blurry, because I was in a hurry ).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-15-341 (4) (Large).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	98467
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 06:42 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
This could be caused by a number of things, it's not likely anything you did caused it.
Is this a desktop or a laptop? Causes could be bad RAM or poor contact in the RAM sockets, bad graphics chip (or again poor contact if it's a dedicated card). Try reseating the RAM, if that doesn't work, if you have multiple memory modules try removing one at a time.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Go the the HP laptop forum, wherever that is, and look to procedures related to "computer won't start." There's probably a lot more help there. I'm not being smirky or rude. The people who own that model and have had the same prob are your best resource.

I have Toshibas and one spazzed out like that, running Vista. The prob seemed to be something related to power / AC spike or sag / battery charging. I got it running again and didn't lose data.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Couple of possibilities based on the pic.

Best case - the connection from the LCD to the motherboard isn't good and just needs to be reseated.

Every other case - is it under warranty? Looks like the video memory and/or adapter is failing. In a desktop system, you could just replace the card or install an add-on card if the adapter was integrated, but with a laptop, you're pretty well screwed.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM

Thank you all for the reply ( we do have few computer gurus here! ). It might be a hardware failure, it just seem funny, that the laptop was working perfectly fine till yesterday and suddenly completely collapsed after the registry change and update. I still think that maybe, just maybe it does have something to do with it. Like what registry change could possibly be responsible for this kind of behavior? What program boots the computer? It is possible that I by mistake disabled it? Or it got corrupted after the upgrade?
I would think that a hardware would get bad over a time, maybe over few days or hours. It will start to act weird, show those dots and lines, and progress, but there was nothing. It just happen from one second to another. But probably I am wrong ... A light bulb burn out in a matter of a second too...
I guess I will have to bring it to a shop - at least recover all the data from HD.

BTW no, no warranty. The laptop is older than a year....

Old 07-15-2012, 03:20 PM

There is nothing you can do to a Windows installation or the registry that will cause a complete lack of display, if you aren't getting the initial HP POST/BIOS screen when you first turn it on, you have a hardware failure.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM

^^^^^ ... Which make me think, what happen when I connect two laptops together?? I have second laptop, if I connect them, can I use the monitor of the second laptop? I never did it before and will have to research how to do it, and how to configure the laptops after they are connected...
Could that possibly work ??

Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM

You can't do it, almost all laptops have some type of video out, VGA, DVI, HDMI, but very, very few have a video input. I doubt the one that isn't working is as simple as the LCD failing, but you can connect an external monitor to it to test that theory.

Just out of curiosity, did you try any of my suggestions or are you just grasping at straws?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Agree with the several reasons/possibilities for the glitch(es)...
And, maybe the batt removal, hold down start button/anti static deal, as a long shot.

If none of the suggestions or net ideas help, I rec'd getting it to a trusted/knowledgeable friend or,
a computer rescue joint you trust, and have the HD data downloaded, and maybe the prob diagnosed
and repaired. But, if you are like most of world, you want your 'stuff' off the 'puter, and a repair comes
2nd. A new LT, loaded & powerful, is <$600 or $700...
GL, mD

Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM

NHDave, yes, of course I tried your recommendations. And yes, motordavid - I removed the battery as instructed x 3. Didn't worked. Tomorrow I will get the connection cable to connect second laptop. Just to try what works. In worst case I will just get another laptop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers