U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM

6,122 posts, read 6,219,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
If that's true then that means someone was in the house using the computer.
This is absolutely true.
If I saw a strange email address logged into Yahoo when I went to my computer I'd immediately open that Inbox and find out more.

If someone is on your network and hacking into your PC's you probably won't even know it until it's too late.
Add all the security you can and be done with it.

Maybe the wife has an email address she hasn't told you about?? Hmmmm. Very fishy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM

7,190 posts, read 9,128,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Wow. I always agree with Dave, but disagree here, my friend.
So what if it is "very easy" to work around?
It all helps.
Might stop the "not that good" hacker.
Well, it would stop my grandmother too , but if a "security" measure can be bypassed by anyone with 5 minutes and a search engine, I don't see the point in implementing it as I don't consider it a worthwhile security measure. If those 2 measures is all it takes to stop the "not that good" hacker, then there's no way said hacker will bypass WPA2 encryption.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,834,469 times
"not that good" hacker..... that would be one that hasn't heard of Google yet?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 AM

LOL

Well I still think NOT broadcasting the SSID is something everyone should do. Just because it's easy to get around?
Your neighbors don't need to see that...

Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM

21,199 posts, read 16,857,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LOL

Well I still think NOT broadcasting the SSID is something everyone should do. Just because it's easy to get around?
Your neighbors don't need to see that...
You're not alone. I agree. While it doesn't make it anymore difficult to hack.... It will at least bump you further back into the list of networks the hacker will attempt to crack.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 PM

7,569 posts, read 9,675,751 times
I don't mind broadcasting the SSID. My neighbors seem to be competing with me to be the most creative with our ID's. It's fun.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 AM

Hmmm. One of my employees just called me and said someone was logged into Yahoo on his computer...
He clicked the name to go to the Inbox to find out more and was prompted to login?!?
I did not witness this.
I wonder if Yahoo is being spoofed and someone is trying to get you to login and get your password???
Very odd...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,834,469 times

Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM

8,394 posts, read 7,523,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
We just got a more powerful WiFi router a few months ago because the old one wasn't cutting it anymore. The new one seems to be much more powerful than the old one and I would imagine that the signal travels pretty far. I actually brought my laptop out to the end of my driveway (100+ feet from the router which is in the basement behind a concrete wall) in order to look at a tutorial online while working on my truck. This morning my wife noticed that when she went to look at Yahoo, it appeared that someone had been signed in as it read "Hello (e-mail address)" at the top right hand corner of the page. She immediately clicked "sign out" and called me to let me know. I want to figure out how my home network has been compromised so that it doesn't happen again. The odd thing was that it was an att.net e-mail address-not a Yahoo address. Does Yahoo support AT&T e-mail customers or something? Anyway, as a first step we're changing all of our passwords, but the router was password protected to begin with, so that didn't seem to stop this person. I'm not the most tech savvy person but I can follow steps if someone would be so kind as to tell me how to secure the network better. I did read one suggestion about naming the network something scary (using words like "trojan," "worm," "botnet," etc...) in order to make people think twice about trying access it, but obviously this will only scare away some people. It's stories like this one that make me more than little worried about unfettered access:

‘Ruthless’ Wifi
Hahaha...I was going to login last week at work....Boss forgot to tell me which was his connection. We have 4 floors of apartments above our office...Was a "guywhomasterbates" on the list....I decided not to try that one...So...your theory is probably correct. Use something really strange....They will think twice......

Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM

"PasswordStealer"??? hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers