Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times

Advertisements

We just got a more powerful WiFi router a few months ago because the old one wasn't cutting it anymore. The new one seems to be much more powerful than the old one and I would imagine that the signal travels pretty far. I actually brought my laptop out to the end of my driveway (100+ feet from the router which is in the basement behind a concrete wall) in order to look at a tutorial online while working on my truck. This morning my wife noticed that when she went to look at Yahoo, it appeared that someone had been signed in as it read "Hello (e-mail address)" at the top right hand corner of the page. She immediately clicked "sign out" and called me to let me know. I want to figure out how my home network has been compromised so that it doesn't happen again. The odd thing was that it was an att.net e-mail address-not a Yahoo address. Does Yahoo support AT&T e-mail customers or something? Anyway, as a first step we're changing all of our passwords, but the router was password protected to begin with, so that didn't seem to stop this person. I'm not the most tech savvy person but I can follow steps if someone would be so kind as to tell me how to secure the network better. I did read one suggestion about naming the network something scary (using words like "trojan," "worm," "botnet," etc...) in order to make people think twice about trying access it, but obviously this will only scare away some people. It's stories like this one that make me more than little worried about unfettered access:

‘Ruthless’ Wifi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Just password protect it...and use the encryption option.
problem solved.
No password, no access.

next, don't believe every e-mail you get.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Wouldn't the cookies for the yahoo email address be stored on the computer, not the router?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 AM

63 posts, read 73,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
problem solved.
No password, no access.
Even then your not safe but at least safer.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
problem solved. No password, no access.
It was password protected.

Quote:
next, don't believe every e-mail you get.
I'm not sure what you mean? Someone else was clearly signed into Yahoo (with an AT&T address) on our network-unless they physically got into the house and logged on that way they had to get in by defeating the encryption on the network.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
It was password protected.

I'm not sure what you mean? Someone else was clearly signed into Yahoo (with an AT&T address) on our network-unless they physically got into the house and logged on that way they had to get in by defeating the encryption on the network.
It doesn't work that way. The only way for Yahoo to remember that account, is if the person was on your computer, since the cookies that remember that sort of thing are stored on the computer.

By chance do you use AT&T for your ISP?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
you can also generally log into your router, and see all of the connected devices (computers) that are on the network. If there is someone using your wifi, they'll be listed on that list.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Don't broadcast the network name, use WPA2 and use MAC filtering. It's a pain, but it'll keep most people off your network. I live in a townhouse, when Verizon installed Fios, they left my network open..i had a few people on it when I got home. Not anymore.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It doesn't work that way. The only way for Yahoo to remember that account, is if the person was on your computer, since the cookies that remember that sort of thing are stored on the computer.
If that's true then that means someone was in the house using the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
By chance do you use AT&T for your ISP?
No, we have Century Link.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The odd thing was that it was an att.net e-mail address-not a Yahoo address. Does Yahoo support AT&T e-mail customers or something?
Yes. I have an @SBCGLobal.net e-mail address that is Yahoo supported...
History was that SBC was my phone and internet provider, they were bought by AT&T who then was Bought/merged or something with Yahoo...
You should just be able to password protect your router and be ok...make a password that use both upper and lower case letters and a number and a symbol such as Spend$4fishinG or something like that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers