Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:26 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Yeah, if you want to make some REAL program with Windows, even something simple such as Windows Calender - I think you would program this in C++, probably use some MFC, or WIN32 programming. - But that stuff was a but hard for me to grasp, because if there was something you wanted to do that was undocumented, then it was VERY HARD to find a solution to your answer unless you code hacked A LOT.

I went through some C++ MFC code hacking, and to make a simple program using MFC to serialize [save] something - it was kinda difficult because the MFC books didn't explain it well, and Jeff Prosise's MFC book had an error on the topic. I finally made a program work with serialization by hacking. And I figured if future MFC programming involved a lot of guesswork hacking, then it wouldn't be a stable career because I could run into something which I could not program.

I gave up on C++ and MFC because there was too much undocumented stuff on it back in 2000. So no $150K /yr C++ MFC trader programmer job for me, and they still advertise for jobs like this in Chicago. I guess the jobs keeps unfilled for years.

I just recently looked at my JAVA Deitel 9th edition book, to see "What can JAVA do for me?" - and I wasn't impressed. Back when I took Java in 2000 I learned that I hated it. It restricts you on what you can do.

It's funny how C++ is going the way of COBOL - becoming an outdated language.
What do you mean by a REAL program for windows? Visual Studio allows you to use several different languages, including C++ and C#. You can even make Metro applications in VB and C#. It's not limited to HTML5.

If you don't know JAVA right now, the only reason worth learning it at this point is for Android.

C++ isn't outdated by any means. It's very popular in use today. Not quite as popular as Objective C, but it's certainly still in use. COBOL on the other hand is only in use for legacy purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Yeah, if you want to make some REAL program with Windows, even something simple such as Windows Calender - I think you would program this in C++
This is just an absolutely ridiculous claim. Define "REAL program" for me, I'd be really curious what characteristics you could list that would exclude languages aside from C++.

Bottom line C++ still has its place, but for the overwhelming majority of software development projects it isn't the best option as modern higher level languages can produce good results in far less time and with fewer bugs than C++. I started my career in C, currently mainly use C# and javascript, previous gig was java, and I'd say the most productive language I've used professionally was Python. I keep meaning to find the time to check out F#, I wonder if that'll ever gain traction.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
This is just an absolutely ridiculous claim.

Define "REAL program" for me, I'd be really curious what characteristics you could list that would exclude languages aside from C++.
I'll shoot. A REAL program is a program that does something that is is expected to. For example, a calendar program that makes me coffee instead of functioning as a calendar is a fake program.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you don't know JAVA right now, the only reason worth learning it at this point is for Android.
I dunno, it is commonly used in web application development and has a strong presence in the dev shops of many large companies so I guess one could say it is worth learning because there are jobs using it.

I think Java is also a fairly solid teaching language too, kinda like Pascal was used in colleges back in the day.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'll shoot. A REAL program is a program that does something that is is expected to. For example, a calendar program that makes me coffee instead of functioning as a calendar is a fake program.
Heh heh.

Then by your measure I could whip up a real calendar program in C#, VB, Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, and HTML5/javascript. Who needs C++ for realness?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
What I define as a "REAL" windows application is something complicated like Photoshop, Autocad, MS Word, Solidworks, Proe -- that stuff is big and complicated to program. But I saw the code for WordPad and even that's a bit complicated. No wonder why the MS guy who programmed Office stuff for MS is a multi millionaire.

Windows Calendar for Vista - I installed it on my Win 7 Prof OS. I'm not even barely capable of programming this in C++. I would be stuck with a big GUI problem - how to make this GUI! If you can program this I'd say you're a pretty good programmer.

If C++ is still popular today but I don't see many job listings for it then I guess the total IT / Programming job market is very pathetic. SO I am very glad I never wasted $50,000 to get an expensive DePaul CS / IT degree back in 2000. Thought about a cheap degree from NEIU but that school has a cheap reputation so maybe it would have been a waste of time.

So programming is just a hobby that fascinates me. I wish I could program a good video game in C++ but I'm just not good enough to do that. Can't dedicate the time to study and figure it out plus it's very hard to get the latest documentation of the latest version of DirectX.

I think C++ will live on in application, automation, and maybe embedded programming.

I used to buy CS books but eventually they get outdated and worthless. Very hard to resell on ebay. So now I prefer not to buy anymore and just get a pdf version. So I have about 100 GB worth of pdf books for various topics. That's why my 30" 2560 x 1600 Dell monitor is very important - can easy read dual page mode fullscreen pdf books with ease.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
What language is the Windows 8 kernel written in?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
If C++ is still popular today but I don't see many job listings for it then I guess the total IT / Programming job market is very pathetic. SO I am very glad I never wasted $50,000 to get an expensive DePaul CS / IT degree back in 2000. Thought about a cheap degree from NEIU but that school has a cheap reputation so maybe it would have been a waste of time.
279 jobs in NYC
C++ Jobs in New York, NY

525 jobs in San Jose
C++ Jobs in San Jose, CA

4 jobs in Green Bay
C++ Jobs in Green Bay, WI

Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
what language is the windows 8 kernel written in?
gwbasic?

Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
+
Quote:
What I define as a "REAL" windows application is something complicated like Photoshop, Autocad, MS Word, Solidworks, Proe -- that stuff is big and complicated to program. But I saw the code for WordPad and even that's a bit complicated. No wonder why the MS guy who programmed Office stuff for MS is a multi millionaire.

Windows Calendar for Vista - I installed it on my Win 7 Prof OS. I'm not even barely capable of programming this in C++. I would be stuck with a big GUI problem - how to make this GUI! If you can program this I'd say you're a pretty good programmer..
Ah.. you seriously think one guy wrote all of calendar? Do you have any clue how big the teams are for all the software you mentioned? You think modern games are written in one language?

There is no secret to programming for windows. REALLY WTF?!!

C++ isn't obsolete...good software engineers/developers knows C++ (one of the many languages they know) are in demand. I would try to explain it to you, but your overall lack of (and down right laughably incorrect) understanding of computers, programming, IT, software development would render that pointless.

As for the comment by another poster regarding more bugs with using C++. I disagree, the problem I found with some developers, they got used to error handling some of the higher language provide, they didn't know how to implement that error handling in C++. I have actually seen more problems with the higher level like JAVA itself...had to harass Sun (back in the good old days)more than once to fix their bugs. Back the we only used JAVA for the client side UI..once. We always went with C++ on the server side, and for the UI most of the time. Couldn't get 99.999% up rate we needed with JAVA...performance was an issue as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers