U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:11 PM

96 posts, read 425,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I started out on WebTV
Thank you, Cleosmom ! And to Tornado Alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 10:15 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,589,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxsallysmom View Post
Thank you, Cleosmom ! And to Tornado Alley.
<-----Still laughing.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,475,495 times
Default Dial-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Dial-up is still legal
No...it is now refered to as Illegal Dial-up and is hunted by Computer Nerds from Best Buy! It is usually associated with a slow communicating creature (alias Modem) that likes to cut and run. If you see this dial-up, stay away, and call the Nerds!

Old 09-25-2006, 10:19 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,589,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
No...it is now refered to as Illegal Dial-up and is hunted by Computer Nerds from Best Buy! It is usually associated with a slow communicating creature (alias Modem) that likes to cut and run. If you see this dial-up, stay away, and call the Nerds!

<---Laughing. I have Fiber Optics for internet now, no modem. I had to laugh. So modems are now worth something? Kinda like the commador 64?

Old 09-25-2006, 11:22 PM

4,689 posts, read 15,972,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
My brother built our computer. I don't know what was in it but it worked really well. Looking at the pictures of the those computers reminded me of a video game system we used to own. I believe the name of it was Odyssey. That system had the best games ever!
We used to have Odyssey!!! You had to place the game screen onto the TV screen, used to love playing Haunted House

Old 09-25-2006, 11:38 PM

1,959 posts, read 4,768,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
What was your first computer?
Total DOS it was sick (I mean that in a bad way) I hated it, my first game was of course PONG! Man, have video games come along way.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,117,950 times
My daughter had the first computer--my Dad bought it for her. I knew nothing about them and she always had to set everything up for me if I wanted to type a letter or something. The first computer I bought was refurbished. I just wanted to try one and I didn't know if I would like computers. Well, I became hooked. I now have 2--one I bought and one my Dad made for me. That's what keeps him going at 81--building computers.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:07 AM

3,350 posts, read 12,797,179 times
My first computer was the univac,here is a picture of me and some friends trying to get it to boot. Enjoy!

http://www.itcbz.it/didattica/archivio/informatica/Generazioni/Prima/Univac_2.jpg (broken link)

P.S. Free to a good home. Anyone in the market for a slightly used computer. You will need some space for it!

Old 09-26-2006, 08:15 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,909,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Total DOS it was sick (I mean that in a bad way) I hated it, my first game was of course PONG! Man, have video games come along way.

DOS was horrible and Pong (my first video game too...wasn't it everyones?! I think it came with the Atari) is like watching something in slow motion now. My husband has Playstation 2 and loves it...one night a few years ago, we found the old Atari and hooked it up...we played it all weekend. The kids got bored in about 4 seconds (plus, I don't normally let them play videogames all that much to begin with but they do have Nintendo DS for car trips, imagine trying to "learn" on an Atari). So my husband and I tried to play the old games. Pitfall was one (we finally made it to the end and you know what happens?!?!?!?! NOTHING. He just freezes in mid-air...after 25 years of waiting and that's what I get...big whoopy). And centipede, I think we almost broke the joysticks trying to bend them all the way to one side to get the darn thing to move and shoot faster. We were actually tilting our bodies in the direction we wanted our players to go (remember doing that?). My hands were so sore for the next couple of days...and we've never seen the Atari since.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:17 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,909,716 times
[quote=exhdo1;104130]My first computer was the univac,here is a picture of me and some friends trying to get it to boot. Enjoy!

You are too funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or