Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 05:48 PM

570 posts, read 1,285,851 times

Advertisements

A few years ago when I did not have a CD writer on my old computer I put some files on CDs using a Portable CD writer (iomega Zip CD 650).

I did not close the CDs because once they were closed I could not record on them anymore. However, that also meant if they were not closed I could not access the CD on any other CD drive except the portable iomega Zip 650.
Closing them would have made it to where I could access the files with any other CD drive.

I didn't think it would ever be a problem because I felt I could just access my files on the portable and I actually planned to go back and close them so that I would be able to access them on any CD drive in the future.

I put the CDs away, got busy, and mostly forgot about them.
A few years slipped by and meanwhile I got another computer with both a built in CD drive and a DVD drive.
Fast forward to the present....
Now I'm trying to get organized and wanted to get my files off the old CDs.

Of course, they won't work on my recent Computer in either the CD drive or the DVD drive because they weren't ever closed.
So I connected the old portable iomega Zip CD 650 via the USB drive,...
But it does not recognize any information on the old CDs....
In fact,.. it mostly makes everything freeze up.

As a test, I tried a recent CD which was made on my built-in CD drive and there was no problem. Only a problem with the old CDs that were created with it.
I hope someone has some suggestions as to how I can recover my old files from these old CDs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
The CD's may be toast especially if they are really old. Check to see if they looked stained or any discoloration.

Try this: Data recovery software for CD / DVD / BD / HD / Flash / USB drive / MMC, SD, Compact

That will ignore any errors and try and recover any data on the disc.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:33 AM

Coincidentally I was just looking at another forum I frequent and someone had the same trouble. I came across link for this which is freeware:

IsoPuzzle 1.7 - VideoHelp.com Downloads

That's hosted on Videohelps site so it should be completely clean of anything malicious.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 PM

570 posts, read 1,285,851 times
I think it is a compatibility issue.

I found the old manual and remembered I need to use the installation CD that came with it to connect it.
Everything went well but after it was installed a little window came up with the message:
"A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled.
Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows"

I've looked and can't seem to find one for the model I have. It was made for Windows 98.
I still have my old Win 98 PC in a closet so I will probably set it up and try using the portable CD Burner with it.

My next question is.... How do I can get rid of that useless driver that is now on my computer, since it is disabled and just sitting there?
Will doing un-install get rid of the driver?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:33 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
My next question is.... How do I can get rid of that useless driver that is now on my computer, since it is disabled and just sitting there?
Will doing un-install get rid of the driver?

On my Vista desktop pc, I would do the following:

Click on Start
Type in drivers
Click on drivers folder
Find the driver & click on it to highlight it
Right click and click on delete

Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I think it is a compatibility issue.
Maybe or maybe not........ have you tried the software I linked too? Both of those apllications ignore errors that will make other applications fail. If for example you had cracked disc that will cause most applications to fail, those programs I linked too ignore all errors and will still extract anything that is readable. You might end up with a bunch of corrupt files in such a scenario, the data where the crack is would be corrupted but you'll still have whatever can be read on the rest of the disc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers