Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,806 times

Advertisements

My computer is a 5 year-old Gateway/ Vista, and has been acting very slow when I use I.E. After a while, it stopped responding. Then, I downloaded Firefox, and after a while it crashed. The same thing happened with Google Chrome.

So I saw the Java light come in, and I thought it may need an update, so I updated it, and now I get this error: Java Script Application Type Error: xulltems (item).get Attribute is not a function. Ok How do I get rid of this Java update?

The computer does not have malware or a virus. I scanned it three times one with AVG., then Microsoft Essentials, then Superantispyware. They found track cookies, which I deleted. I use these manually, about once per week.

The cable connection to the pc, seems to be okay.

What should I do next? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Easiest thing to do is try system restore first. Restore it back to the last known date that your computer worked with no issues.

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling any programs, such as the Firefox and Google Chrome, that were installed right before you started having the issues. Might be one of those programs.

I.E. 7 & 8 appears to have some sort of memory leak bug that locks the computer up. Once it uses the memory up needed to run the application, it eats into virtual memory. Once virtual memory has been exhausted, then you start getting similar issues like you're getting.

If you haven't already, you might want to consider maxing out the physical memory of your computer. I think most computers, five years ago, had a max of 2 to 4 GBs of memory. For Windows Vista, I wouldn't run it on anything less than 2GB of RAM.

I'd also consider upgrading the computer to Windows 7. It runs so much more smoother on older machines than Vista does.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
The computer does not have malware or a virus. I scanned it three times one with AVG., then Microsoft Essentials, then Superantispyware. They found track cookies, which I deleted. I use these manually, about once per week.
All this scanner active at the same time? More than one active virus/malware scanner is nothing but trouble. At best, they can cancel each other out or create extra load on system resources closing the computer down.
Uninstall one of the AV scanners and also instead of SuperAntiSpyware, try MalwareBytes to see if it detects anything.

Quote:
My computer is a 5 year-old Gateway/ Vista, and has been acting very slow when I use I.E. After a while, it stopped responding. Then, I downloaded Firefox, and after a while it crashed. The same thing happened with Google Chrome.
I am not knowledgeable with Vista, so I cannot comment on any possible issues with it but 5 years is a long time and depending on how long you were having this problem, I can only imagine it would get worse and worse so not sure if it is even worth saving the system, perhaps a re-install is an option to consider but not something I am suggesting right off the bat.

Your biggest mistake was instead of finding the culprit and fixing it, you simply ignored the issue and moved on simply because another browser worked and the problem is apparently spreading so it was either not browser specific or whatever the cause is, it is effecting the other browsers too (spreading).

Quote:
So I saw the Java light come in, and I thought it may need an update, so I updated it, and now I get this error: Java Script Application Type Error: xulltems (item).get Attribute is not a function. Ok How do I get rid of this Java update?
Have you tried uninstalling all installed versions of Java that shows up on the list beginning with the newest to oldest?
After you completely removed Java, run CCleaner with all options checked, then reboot the computer. A registry cleaning (using CCleaner or AusLogics Registry Cleaner) might also be helpful but if you decide to try this step, make sure to backup your entire registry just in case.
After all this, re-install the latest Java version. One question though, do you really need/use Java?
See any of the browser run fine without installing Java first.

One other thing I would be to try logging on as a different user to see if any of the browsers work OK or not.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
How long have you been using Microsoft Security Essentials? Is it newer?

My computer started having lots of problems when i installed it and was fine after I uninstalled it.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
TurcoLoco brought up a good point! Don't use more than one spyware and/or antivirus program at once, EVER! It will definitely lock your system up. All you need is one (free) antivirus program that just scans for virus - such as AVG free (with the link scanner off) or AVAST free version. I prefer AVAST myself, but it's personal taste.

And, you just need one antispyware program. I prefer Spybot Search & Destroy. It's a small, lightweight scanner. You do have to update it manually, and run it manually, but it works. You don't need to have Microsoft essentials AND AVG on one computer. Uninstall one or the other and I bet THAT will make a big difference.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Turcoloco and skinsguy

I have disconnected Java, and Microsoft Essentials. Now, the only antivirus I have is AVG and SuperAntispyware, and S/A I use manually, so they are never coming together. I use S/A about once per month, only.

I used disk cleaner first and used Disk Defragmenter, through Windows, before I used System Restore.

I did System Restore, and did not work. It states: S/R did not complete successfully because an unsuspecting error occurred." I did it two more times with different reference points, and still did not work, so S/R is no longer an option.

I am still getting the error from Java script, even after I disabled it that states "Error type: xolitems (item) . get Attribute is not a function. (ok) I looked into Fix-Kit.com, which fixes Java Script errors. But, I have not downloaded it, pending your input into this matter.

Right now, I am using Firefox, and it seems to be okay.

Internet Explorer is not responding, so I will continue with Firefox.

I have disabled Google Chrome, because the pc began to slow down after downloading it, a week ago. Now, what should I do, guys. Thank you so much.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
What is the system doing when it's running very slow?

What does the performance graphs in Task Manager show

~ Memory
~ CPU
~ Network

How much free space does you HD have?

Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Hi Latina,

At this point I only have a few things to suggest pending your input but also comment on what plwhit asked too, it would be helpful to know.

Here are my questions:
1) What did you mean when you said you disconnected Java? Did you mean uninstall? If so, keep it uninstalled for now.

2) Have you used any temp/junk file cleaner on this system yet? If not please do so (see my previous post for more info).

FYI: Java and JavaScript have nothing to do with one another. They are different stuff, JavaScript is typically used all over the Internet in different parts of most web sites as a part of their design. That said, at what point were you getting that JavaScript error message or does it happen when you visit a certain web site? Does it only happen with Internet Explorer? Does the JavaScript error come up with Firefox too?

Can you try this and let me know if you can run IE without using 3rd-party extensions at all and if so, how does it perform?
Here is how you can do the above:
- Press and hold Windows Key (between left ALT and CTRL keys) and press R
- Type inetcpl.cpl (not case sensitive)
- Click OK
- From the Internet Properties window, select the Advanced tab
- Scroll down to the Browsing section and uncheck (clear) the box next to:
"Enable third-party browser extensions*"

- Click OK and then launch Internet Explorer to check (you may still get the JavaScript error but see if you can use it to surf Internet at all.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hi Latina,

At this point I only have a few things to suggest pending your input but also comment on what plwhit asked too, it would be helpful to know.

Here are my questions:
1) What did you mean when you said you disconnected Java? Did you mean uninstall? If so, keep it uninstalled for now.

2) Have you used any temp/junk file cleaner on this system yet? If not please do so (see my previous post for more info).

FYI: Java and JavaScript have nothing to do with one another. They are different stuff, JavaScript is typically used all over the Internet in different parts of most web sites as a part of their design. That said, at what point were you getting that JavaScript error message or does it happen when you visit a certain web site? Does it only happen with Internet Explorer? Does the JavaScript error come up with Firefox too?

Can you try this and let me know if you can run IE without using 3rd-party extensions at all and if so, how does it perform?
Here is how you can do the above:
- Press and hold Windows Key (between left ALT and CTRL keys) and press R
- Type inetcpl.cpl (not case sensitive)
- Click OK
- From the Internet Properties window, select the Advanced tab
- Scroll down to the Browsing section and uncheck (clear) the box next to:
"Enable third-party browser extensions*"

- Click OK and then launch Internet Explorer to check (you may still get the JavaScript error but see if you can use it to surf Internet at all.
Turcoloco: I uninstalled Java Script, that was the only Java I had. But, that error with that funny name comes up even with Firefox, immediately when I enter any website, and the only way to get rid of it, is by clicking on the okay bottom. I used CC cleaner a few days ago, and Windows Disk Cleaner yesterday.

I was unable to open I.E., I did everything exactly how you outlined it with Internet Properties. I went into Windows/internet explorer, but it states Babylon Search not responding. Whenever I have used Firefox, I have been seeing that Babylon.com. also. What I get in the I.E. window is a little circle going around and around, but nothing happens. Thank you,

Old 09-01-2012, 12:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Latina, go to google and do a search on babylon search. You will find ways to remove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers